Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Commentary Dreams And Nightmares.....

+8
horace
eowyn
tricycle
taipan
Merlin
lardbucket
Basil
Brass Monkey
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Commentary Dreams And Nightmares..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Commentary Dreams And Nightmares.....

Post by taipan Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:27

lardbucket wrote:Taips you conveniently misjudge the reason for my own distaste for Greig; I don't know about others.

WSC was a storm in a teacup, an over-rated upheaval which merely culled a team of its hacks one or two years early ... remember, this team of hacks had just lost 3-zip to England, they were not the cream of the crop, but a mixture of cream and scum. After the 'reunion', very few of those "elite Packer players" remained equipped to play Test cricket - really it was just Lillee, Walters, GSC,and Marsh.

I don't hate Packer ... and I don't dislike Greig for his role in the Packer split, which has always been talked up by the Nein commentators but was really irrelevant to me as a Test fan through 1977-79. Greig was already recognisably a total qunt in 1971-2, in England in 1972, in the West Indies in 1973, in Australia in 1974-5, and 1975 ... all pre-Packer. He is a friend of Ian Chappell's ... they say you can always judge a man by the company he keeps, and it's true in this case. Both Qunts.

Well as I didn't know the reason for your dislike I don't know how I am conveniently misjujdging it.

To call WSC a storm in a teacup is a particularly facile judgement. It brought cricket screaming and shouting into the 20th century. Far more eloquent writers than me have commentated on this.

I think history will deal with Greig far more gently than you. He was a man who lead his adopted country with pride. Maybe he was a qunt whist doing doing it, but I think many other country's captains have been viewed the same . Many of them Australians.

I would suggest tha you have no idea of my views on Greig and to suggest that I was on a major wind up is far of the mark.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Commentary Dreams And Nightmares..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Commentary Dreams And Nightmares.....

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:32

Surely you must at least recognise the direness of his current commentary? I seriously wonder about his mental capacity at times.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38009
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:32

I'd just listen to Bumble all day and look at the scores and play on the screen. I like being entertained while I can see what's going on in front of me for myself.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:33

tricycle wrote:
Rameez is brilliant, sometimes a bit too gracious to the opposition but very good nonetheless.

Aye, that's my only qualm with him.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:36

lardbucket wrote:'Sure'. He's an utter qunt (the write-away bride quip), and clueless cricket-wise, to boot. 'That's a massive sweep shot, a six for sure, no, he's caught at mid-off'. Names players incorrectly and has the memory of a goldfish.

In a f*cking nutshell. During a lot of the Ashes 05 he was fumbling through the likes of Trescothick, Bell, Harmison... and he was our commentator. You couldn't make it up. He cast humongous aspersions that were so baseless to defy belief.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:37

lardbucket wrote:Greig was already recognisably a total qunt in 1971-2, in England in 1972, in the West Indies in 1973, in Australia in 1974-5, and 1975 ... all pre-Packer. He is a friend of Ian Chappell's ... they say you can always judge a man by the company he keeps, and it's true in this case. Both Qunts.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:40

lardbucket wrote:Surely you must at least recognise the direness of his current commentary? I seriously wonder about his mental capacity at times.

Yeah he's getting old. Not as old as Richie and Lawry though. Even you must admit they are past it. Adn then we have Chappell who is the same age. And then add some of the lunacies Healy has added this season, and the input of Nicholas. About the only good thing I can say about the nine commentary box that is a it better than NZ and a shade worse than SA.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:42

And taipan, my point about WSC being 'a storm in a teacup' was made purely in response to your allegation that my dislike for Greig must have something to do with WSC, which in my case at least is clearly untrue ... and WSC to my mind was just a back road in the evolution to an inevitable commercial end, rather than the heroic revolution Nein commentators consistently spruik it up to have been, padding out their own importance in the evolution (evolution, not revolution).

I do not dispute that Greig led his adopted country with pride ... hardly the point, I could get Godwin going here; it was his consistently unsporting BEHAVIOUR as a player and more recently his consistently hopeless, inaccurate, and ill-informed commentary that I objected to.

I really did think, no I was sure, that you were totally on the wind-up when you said you did not mind Tony Greig's commentary.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:43

Continuing on from Greig's friend Chappell, Botham followed the policy of keep your friends close and enemies closer. Him and Chappelli, both qunts. In fact, Botham, Chappell and Greig would form the triumvirate of quntopathy and add Gavaskar and Shastri, we've got a quintumvirate.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:48

Yeah, right, in your mind.

My point was that I do not mind him as a commentator, which was once again in your mind, an attempted wind up.

Anything else is extraneous.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:49

tricycle wrote:Continuing on from Greig's friend Chappell, Botham followed the policy of keep your friends close and enemies closer. Him and Chappelli, both qunts. In fact, Botham, Chappell and Greig would form the triumvirate of quntopathy and add Gavaskar and Shastri, we've got a quintumvirate.

Of gash?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:50

Aye trike, that's one helluva quntumvirate. They can all royally go f*ck themselves. Or the best thing is to do what Johnny Vegas did and have a celebrity lock-in. I'd give a kidney to see that.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:55

taipan wrote:Of gash?
Aye. Greig's love of Sri Lanka is getting a bit excessive, almost forced, well it is forced because he's ambassador for tourism.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:55

tricycle wrote:Continuing on from Greig's friend Chappell, Botham followed the policy of keep your friends close and enemies closer. Him and Chappelli, both qunts. In fact, Botham, Chappell and Greig would form the triumvirate of quntopathy and add Gavaskar and Shastri, we've got a quintumvirate.

quntuplets

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 27 Feb 2012, 21:57

Brass Monkey wrote:Aye trike, that's one helluva quntumvirate. They can all royally go f*ck themselves. Or the best thing is to do what Johnny Vegas did and have a celebrity lock-in. I'd give a kidney to see that.
Gavaskar will stage a walk out if things don't go his way. The others will be in for the long haul.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:00

eowyn wrote:I'd just listen to Bumble all day and look at the scores and play on the screen. I like being entertained while I can see what's going on in front of me for myself.

Yes, well that's called class. There's none in the Nein box. Ritchie had it, although he's past it now.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:00

[quote="tricycle"]
Brass Monkey wrote:Aye trike, that's one helluva quntumvirate. They can all royally go f*ck themselves. Or the best thing is to do what Johnny Vegas did and have a celebrity lock-in. I'd give a kidney to see that.
Gavaskar will stage a walk out if things don't go his way. The others will be in for the long haul.[/quote

I imagine Gavaskar to slowly sip his pints steadily until he's caught up with the others and surpassed one or two.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:02

lardbucket wrote:
Yes, well that's called class. There's none in the Nein box. Ritchie had it, although he's past it now.

TBF it must be hard for Richie, the rest of them have gone down the hooting, whooping jingoism whilst constantly plugging the gimmicks. It got so bad the other day, they were banging on about the KFC Zinger burger... I think Richie tried to kill himself but he got restrained.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:06

Brass Monkey wrote:
lardbucket wrote:

TBF it must be hard for Richie, the rest of them have gone down the hooting, whooping jingoism whilst constantly plugging the gimmicks. It got so bad the other day, they were banging on about the KFC Zinger burger... I think Richie tried to kill himself but he got restrained.

You may be onto something. Perhaps it's the sedatives he has had to take to enable him to deal with the nest of rotating twats in the box that has eroded his own ability to comment with the ease and perspicacity he once exhibited.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:10

lardbucket wrote:
You may be onto something. Perhaps it's the sedatives he has had to take to enable him to deal with the nest of rotating twats in the box that has eroded his own ability to comment with the ease and perspicacity he once exhibited.

Seriously about four times the other day he went to speak only for someone to growl over him. Then when Healy and Slats started going on about the Zinger, I'm sure I heard a tiny sigh of helpless vehement disinterest. I'm sure he cannot be happy.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:13

Brass Monkey wrote:
lardbucket wrote:

Seriously about four times the other day he went to speak only for someone to growl over him. Then when Healy and Slats started going on about the Zinger, I'm sure I heard a tiny sigh of helpless vehement disinterest. I'm sure he cannot be happy.

TBF to Heals and Slats you can only hear about the back foot no ball rule so many times.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:17

I suppose Zinger burgers are nice. Still, surely you'd want the blokes paid to talk about cricket not nob around all the time like some banal two minute sideshow on the Neverending Story?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:19

Brass Monkey wrote:Seriously about four times the other day he went to speak only for someone to growl over him. Then when Healy and Slats started going on about the Zinger, I'm sure I heard a tiny sigh of helpless vehement disinterest. I'm sure he cannot be happy.
Jebus, thank fark I don't have to see that. We had him only for a lunch break in one of the tests, seems frail now. Even if there's a bit of rubbish, it's not comparable to the rest of nein.
Brass Monkey wrote:I imagine Gavaskar to slowly sip his pints steadily until he's caught up with the others and surpassed one or two.
Clever fella he is, though the flounce option is always available if nothing works.

tricycle

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:20

lardbucket wrote:
eowyn wrote:I'd just listen to Bumble all day and look at the scores and play on the screen. I like being entertained while I can see what's going on in front of me for myself.

Aye, sad as it to say it, Richtie needs to say enough is enough, I think we would have treated him better over here, in fact we did when he decided to stop commentating here.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 27 Feb 2012, 22:22

Trike, Ange, Lardy... it's all hail Richie still. Good to hear though.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next