Another school shooting in the USA

Page 26 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26

Go down

Re: Another school shooting in the USA

Post by Fred Nerk on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 13:03

Red wrote:Amazed to hear surprise expressed by one of the politicians in Florida.

At the risk of sounding like someone lacking in compassion, it's hard to feel sympathy for a nation whose people are largely invested in the notion of the right to bear arms.

I think you mean 'bare arms'.

In this case (and many others, of which Columbine and Sandy Hook are just the two easiest to recall) most of the victims were too young to vote so compassion is not compromised. But yes, this is a bloodbath absolutely of the US's own making.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 6935
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 13:15

Why would they want the right to bare arms?

To show off their tattoos!
WideWally

Number of posts : 8483
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : aus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 22:08

embee wrote:

It's not the guns though.

OK, if it's not the guns, it must be Americans - they're farkwits.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9- 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 32596
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skully on Thu 15 Feb 2018, 23:22

I've said it before - the only "luck" (I don't believe in the commodity) I have experienced in my life was being born an Aussie.

The Yanks can have their gun-addled cesspit of a country.
skully

Number of posts : 92797
Registration date : 2007-08-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitburn on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 06:59

Absolutely tragic, the parents' lives will never be the same or as happy as they should have been. Life's hard enough already without this sort of thing. I have friends in America who are very pro-gun and do not agree with me, but my stance is this. The UK gun deaths per 1,000 people is very low, thankfully. Every death is one too many but it's low. Would making guns legal for just about anyone in UK reduce gun deaths here? No is the answer. The USA has 10 times the gun deaths per 1,000 people that we have and guns are legal in most states there. Gun deaths would increase dramatically, if not inline with USA figures, but be severely up. If the USA got rid of guns and made the punishment for carrying one severe enough, yes we would still get shootings but gun deaths would fall dramatically. Of that i am certain. One problem with guns is that formerly sensible people who owned and used them correctly became depressed, some became revengeful, others got either senile, disturbed or crazy. There's little time for escape with a gun, even if you own one. He who shoots first wins. The argument i often hear is that if people didn't have guns they'd hire a van and carry out islamic-style drive-over killings. Or they'd use a knife. Well the former takes far more arranging, it's far harder to carry out than pulling a trigger and as for knives you still have a far harder job killing 20 kids with a knife than with a gun which can release bullets as fast as you can blink. There is no easy answer to this but i feel the only possible route is to get rid of guns in public which of course is hugely controversial. But no guns equal no gun deaths and even getting rid of 90% of them would surely be better for society, overall. In time it will happen. If you can get prosecuted for patting a female colleague on the bum 40 years ago i am sure we can agree that having a gun in the high street isn't acceptable.

whitburn

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whitburn on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 07:09

I totally disagree however with some comments about the USA being a slum. Yes some of it is, like many UK and even Australian towns are now. I only know too well how many shyte holes my country has. But places like Utah and Wyoming (forget the Hollywood freaks and the NYC sprawl) are absolutely fabulous, with scenery, empty roads and wildlife as good as anything on the planet. Our friends live in Moab, Utah and it's fabulous. Just like northern California, upper New York state and many parts of the unspoiled deep south. My work takes me to USA around 10 times a year and we holiday there as much as we can. It's a fantastic country and the company i work for does very well there. Other than the long haul flights which i hate i look forward to the next visit as soon as the current one ends, to be honest. America is huge and you just need to find the bit that floats your boat. it will be there somewhere.

whitburn

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Sat 17 Feb 2018, 08:13

Fred Nerk wrote:
Red wrote:Amazed to hear surprise expressed by one of the politicians in Florida.

At the risk of sounding like someone lacking in compassion, it's hard to feel sympathy for a nation whose people are largely invested in the notion of the right to bear arms.

I think you mean 'bare arms'.

In this case (and many others, of which Columbine and Sandy Hook are just the two easiest to recall) most of the victims were too young to vote so compassion is not compromised. But yes, this is a bloodbath absolutely of the US's own making.

Are you being serious? I do know my bear from my bare. Smile
Red

Number of posts : 15341
Registration date : 2007-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 26 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26