Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes?

+12
LeFromage
Basil
beamer
lardbucket
Red
baggygreen
Mick Sawyer
Henry
eowyn
JKLever
Brass Monkey
PeterCS
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes? Empty What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes?

Post by PeterCS Wed 02 Jan 2013, 19:46

Jim apart, a bunch of crocks and fallabouts lately.

Would hope for:

Anderson
Broad (in full health and at full pace)
Finn (uninjured) and/or
Tremlett (parts glued together)

Expect:

Anderson (if fit ....)
Broad (at 76 mph)
Meaker?? or
Onions???
Dernbach??????????

Who else?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes? Empty Re: What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes?

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 02 Jan 2013, 20:02

Who can we guarantee on being all good and no bad? None of them.

Hopefully Jimothy has turned the dobby corner.

The best thing for Broad would be to miss the NZ Tests and get some proper bowling under his belt at Notts.

Tremlett? Heard he just injured his ribs, when laughing at Shane Watson's misfortune. That'll lead to two more operations.

Finn? I don't have a great deal of confidence in his Tremlett-esque body.

I don't think Bresnan will play for a while, now. I think the dim selectors have had it reiterated enough as to why he shouldn't have played since the WI.

What will happen is that Anderson and Broad will play if 'fit' - as will Finn. But Finn will break down. They'll go to Bresnan. Who'll be a little spray-y and shitey.

Onions will be in by the fourth Test and be mediocre.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes? Empty Re: What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes?

Post by JKLever Wed 02 Jan 2013, 20:59

I'm with Pete on his 4 choices.

Brass Monkey wrote:
Tremlett? Heard he just injured his ribs, when laughing at Shane Watson's misfortune. That'll lead to two more operations.

Got to feel sorry for the Aussies that just about the only time Goober has been fully fit for more than 2 weeks in the last 25 years coincided with our Ashes tour down under.

No really, you have.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 02 Jan 2013, 22:01

Aren't we batting in the next Ashes?

I'd like to Cook, Trott and Root, thanks.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 02 Jan 2013, 22:03

Oh it says seam team, soz. Embarassed
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 02 Jan 2013, 22:12

Hoping for Tremlett would seem to be a bit far-fetched, but yeah, would be nice to have him fit and firing. With all these injuries and his advancing age though, there will come a time where he wont be able to jarr bat handles at 88mph anymore. Sooner or later he's going to come back from injury as an 80mph 'floater', and I reckon it will be this time, unfortunately.

It would also be nice to have Broad back to his best. Surely at 26 his loss of pace isn't permanent. He just needs time to get his body 100% again. Funny how he started picking up injuries as soon as they sent him off to the gym to 'bulk up'. Same with Finn. If a bowler is naturally lean, he should be kept lean. I've never seen a muscly fast bowler who has stayed relatively injury free throughout his career.

I don't expect the side to be too different to what it is now. A debut for Roland-Jones, Meaker, and Stokes could be a possibility. I hope Woakes and Harris don't get near the side, though.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 02 Jan 2013, 23:33

eowyn wrote:
I'd like to Cook, Trott and Root, thanks.

Cool, because I'm happy to Eat, Root and Run.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Thu 03 Jan 2013, 08:37

eowyn wrote:Oh it says seam team, soz. Embarassed

Don't worry, with your bowling attack I'd be focusing on the batters too. It's the exact opposite for us. Very Happy
baggygreen
baggygreen

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Thu 03 Jan 2013, 10:17

The Kookaburras haven't swung much this year so they will need at least one of the bang it in types if it's the same next summer.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:05

I'm hoping for Plunkett, FFS Lewis, Bicknell, and the offspring of Phil Newport or Alan Igglesden.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38037
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 12:23

lardbucket wrote:I'm hoping for Plunkett, FFS Lewis, Bicknell, and the offspring of Phil Newport or Alan Igglesden.

If 2012 is anything to go by, you won't be facing far off that. You. Will. Not. Be. Facing. Far. Off. That.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 03 Jan 2013, 15:51

lardbucket wrote:I'm hoping for Plunkett, FFS Lewis, Bicknell, and the offspring of Phil Newport or Alan Igglesden.

Well with Huss gawn, lets face it they'll be bowling to the offspring of the likes of Graeme Wood, Greg Ritchie, Wayne Phillips.

Ashes 2013... the battle of who can be least shoite.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 03 Jan 2013, 16:04

Very Happy

Aus not doing up SL too badly.

2 dogfish > kipper?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 03 Jan 2013, 17:27

Whoever Aus select in the bowling, will do a decent enough job in English conditions. For me, Australias chance of regaining the urn depend on their batting in those conditions.

For England, I think our bowling is the same as Aus, it'll do decently whoever is picked. If we can get our batting back to the level we saw down under we'll win and that's a big call because i've not made us favourites for either of the last 2 series!

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 03 Jan 2013, 18:02

Brass Monkey wrote:

If 2012 is anything to go by, you won't be facing far off that. You. Will. Not. Be. Facing. Far. Off. That.
Martin Bicknell only plays Tests in years ending in 3... you might be onto something there!

beamer

Number of posts : 15399

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 03 Jan 2013, 18:26

Anderson and Finn (if fit) are shoo-ins.

For the third seamer, perm any one from Broad, Bresnan and Onions. I'm not going to rule Bresnan out if he can get his pace back to where it was during the last Ashes.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 03 Jan 2013, 18:32

I certainly wouldn't rule him out, as the selectors like him as an honest hard working sort who can bat a bit, even if he's bowling 75mph pies!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 03 Jan 2013, 19:36

I was on about the calibre rather than the personnel. If were on about getting pace back then I'm backing Bob Willis. Heck, I'm backing Tom Richardson. Point is they haven't the pace, they're an iota of the threat they were, so I don't particularly judge them as Test bowlers.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Fri 04 Jan 2013, 18:28

If Finn can stay fit, you'd think he's earned a shot at a proper run in the side now, alongside Jammy.

I'd imagine Broad is still considered a shoo-in for the third seamer's spot, regardless of his obvious decline in form (batting as well).

Onions will be in the mix. Or the stew.

Tremlett's done. Dusted. Busted. Though, if he were able to stand up unaided at some point in the summer, he'd be a decent option to airlift in for a Test here or there in the event of injuries.

Bresnan can f*ck right off. He's the Ashley Giles of seam bowling. He got away with it for a while, but the secret's out now.

Hope Meaker can step up and put some pressure on the more established folks - Alec Stewart's given him the big one on BBC's cricketers to watch in 2013.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 04 Jan 2013, 18:36

Meaker better address his shit accuracy. He's an 8mph quicker version on Bresnan. I've as much confidence in our attack as a freckly braces chap has of pulling in a nightclub
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Fri 04 Jan 2013, 20:40

Dello wrote:Onions will be in the mix. Or the stew.
Or he might have the Aussies in a pickle...

Anyway, how about we prepare a load of turning pitches and go with Swanny and Monty, negating the impact of pace bowling which is the Aussies' only reasonably strong suit other than Michael Clarke?

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 04 Jan 2013, 21:31

That's what India did to England .....
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sat 05 Jan 2013, 00:14

But they didn't bargain for the fact that England's spinners were actually better than theirs. Unless the Aussies unearth a new Warne or two in the next few months there's little chance of them having the stronger spin department!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 05 Jan 2013, 00:45

Easier said than done to just say "Let's prepare turning pitches" in England. The weather could make that difficult. The Aussies have hardly shown an amazing ability to counter high quality swing in recent times, anyway. We'll be better off with three quicks and Swann. Monty for Old Trafford and the Oval, perhaps.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by baggygreen Sat 05 Jan 2013, 00:55

beamer wrote:But they didn't bargain for the fact that England's spinners were actually better than theirs. Unless the Aussies unearth a new Warne or two in the next few months there's little chance of them having the stronger spin department!

What England seam team do you - expect, - hope for, come the Ashes? 14975810

Invers has that covered....apparently.
baggygreen
baggygreen

Number of posts : 1525
Registration date : 2012-10-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next