Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The repercussions

+18
lardbucket
doctorspin
skully
Basil
Mick Sawyer
Ross
Blackadder_
bliksem
please don't yell
furriner
Zat
Fred Nerk
prasad14
Nath
*Buckaroo*
tac
doremi
Henry
22 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The repercussions - Page 2 Empty Re: The repercussions

Post by tac Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:22

furriner wrote:Ok Henry here we go. Not just repercussions but takeaways from the game:

1. Yuvraj will not play a Test for India for a long time, if ever. He went to pieces. Dhoni keeps his place.

2. The 4 Indian batting greats (OK Laxman plus 3) have just got a new lease of life- deservedly so. I do not see the young guns stepping up. In the longer term we may be quite farked. Interesting discussion for another thread maybe

3. Umpiring in this Test, including referrals, will be examined even more closely. I do not see Bucknor going beyond this series.

4. Aussies 'over appeal' as much as Indians/Pakistanis/Lankans. So as I was discussing with ojitarian on another thread, lets put that myth to bed shall we?

5. I am not going to take Ponting's word on anything after that appeal of his off Dhoni. Not on anything. It is what it is.

6. I think the proposed system of taking a players word on catches is a non starter ( I would like a better look at the Clarke catch, so not commenting on him here)

7. India lost 3 wickets in the last over. What was that all about?

Furry, I think you're being a bit tough on Punter. I'm sure he didn't even think of whether the ball had been grounded or not. He hit the deck with a lot of force and probably didn't feel anything except that he had hung onto the ball.

Indeed, are we sure that the umpire didn't turn the appeal down because he saw Punter had grounded the ball? There seemed to be an exchange between them.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:23

Zat wrote:...Maybe the choking ability of the SAffies you've appointed as coach is already rubbing off.
[/quote]

Maybe we can blame him. Now that's an idea. :idea:
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:24

prasad14 wrote:
please don't yell wrote:Aye well said Zat, and India do have to take some responsibility for axing him for political reasons.

It was the pressure placed on the ICC by the Asian block that lead to hair getting the arse, so if you're going to dump a quality umpire because he's not afraid to do the right thing then his replacements might be politically more acceptable but not as good on the actual pitch.

BCCI is a joke.

Donig what they did to Hair for doing his job just came back to bite them.

India was forced to back Pakistan as part of the 'peace process' diplomacy that was going on in other areas and cricket conveniently happened to be a corollary. This was probably due to govt'al pressure applied on the cricket body

I don't think there was any deeper moral support for Pakistan's cause on the Hair issue.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:25

Was hoping that gave you a chuckle, furry.

Last edited by on Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:25; edited 1 time in total

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:25

i felt sorry for Sharma, poor kid looked like he was going to cry at the end.

But i think he's got a bit about him as a bowler and no 19 year old number 11 is responsible for saving the game for his team.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:29

So suddenly Darryl Hair is god's gift? What's he got to do with anything? So he would have certainly umpired in this test if he was still on the elite panel?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:30

please don't yell wrote:i felt sorry for Sharma, poor kid looked like he was going to cry at the end.

But i think he's got a bit about him as a bowler and no 19 year old number 11 is responsible for saving the game for his team.

yeah ! Just give him a hug, the poor thing.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:31

Nah, tell him he single handedly cost India the test, and see how his character stands up. Laughing
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by prasad14 Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:31

Hair is not a gods gift to cricket but certainly did nto deserve what happened to him.

prasad14

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:31

tac wrote:
furriner wrote:Ok Henry here we go. Not just repercussions but takeaways from the game:

1. Yuvraj will not play a Test for India for a long time, if ever. He went to pieces. Dhoni keeps his place.

2. The 4 Indian batting greats (OK Laxman plus 3) have just got a new lease of life- deservedly so. I do not see the young guns stepping up. In the longer term we may be quite farked. Interesting discussion for another thread maybe

3. Umpiring in this Test, including referrals, will be examined even more closely. I do not see Bucknor going beyond this series.

4. Aussies 'over appeal' as much as Indians/Pakistanis/Lankans. So as I was discussing with ojitarian on another thread, lets put that myth to bed shall we?

5. I am not going to take Ponting's word on anything after that appeal of his off Dhoni. Not on anything. It is what it is.

6. I think the proposed system of taking a players word on catches is a non starter ( I would like a better look at the Clarke catch, so not commenting on him here)

Furry, I think you're being a bit tough on Punter. I'm sure he didn't even think of whether the ball had been grounded or not. He hit the deck with a lot of force and probably didn't feel anything except that he had hung onto the ball.

Indeed, are we sure that the umpire didn't turn the appeal down because he saw Punter had grounded the ball? There seemed to be an exchange between them.

tac here is the thing (I saw that appeal so am not conjecturing, and this is not based on preconceived notions):I have played enough cricket to know when a ball slams on the ground after I have caught it like that. When you see how that ball came down in Ponting's hand, palm down, in that way, there is no way in hell anyone catching it could possibly have thought he caught it.

What makes it worse to me was that it was not a half hearted or strangled appeal, which happens. It was a sustained shout of a man making a confident appeal. He can't even say it happened on the spur of the moment, which happens.

There are things that we react to in anger; for me this is not one of them. I do not see an explanation for Ponting, really. As for Umpires, that does not come into it here. I am speaking of how Ponting was appealing, and to my mind it is a pretty bad thing that I saw.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:31

There was certainly some 'alternative' umpiring on display in this game, I have to say. Forget about the 3rd umpire spinning himself around 10 times, closing his eyes and then trying to hit the button, but what about that new system of referrals we saw today? Bollocks to the 3rd umpire and his drunken shennanigans, covered in baby oil in his little booth - all catches should be refered to the fielding captain instead. 'Innovative' umpiring at its best. Top notch.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:33

What exactly does Hair not being on the elite panel have to do with anything?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:33

Zat wrote:Was hoping that gave you a chuckle, furry.

Almost graveyard humour, which suits me right now zat.

Ah fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack,fack, fack.

Fack!
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:34

furriner wrote:
tac wrote:

tac here is the thing (I saw that appeal so am not conjecturing, and this is not based on preconceived notions):I have played enough cricket to know when a ball slams on the ground after I have caught it like that. When you see how that ball came down in Ponting's hand, palm down, in that way, there is no way in hell anyone catching it could possibly have thought he caught it.

What makes it worse to me was that it was not a half hearted or strangled appeal, which happens. It was a sustained shout of a man making a confident appeal. He can't even say it happened on the spur of the moment, which happens.

There are things that we react to in anger; for me this is not one of them. I do not see an explanation for Ponting, really. As for Umpires, that does not come into it here. I am speaking of how Ponting was appealing, and to my mind it is a pretty bad thing that I saw.

And I think you are blowing it out of proportion.

I just never like to put the worst possible spin on things . . . maybe I wasn't born to be a victim.

Last edited by on Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:34; edited 1 time in total
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:34

It was so close though. Instant Karma only needed to survive two balls and then watch a bloke with 45 runs on the board and all the experience you'd ever need, play out the last over.

I agree, as a bowler he shows promise.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8802
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:34

News just in- A nervous looking Steve Bucknor has been sighted at Sydney Airport, clutching a small suitcase and a one way ticket to Hawaii.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:35

Henry wrote:So suddenly Darryl Hair is god's gift? What's he got to do with anything? So he would have certainly umpired in this test if he was still on the elite panel?
Here, have a present.
The repercussions - Page 2 Cluepo10

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by prasad14 Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:35

really tough to blame 10 and 11 for what happened today.

prasad14

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:36

tac wrote:And I think you are blowing it out of proportion.

I don't.

tac wrote:I just never like to put the worst possible spin on things . . . maybe I wasn't born to be a victim.

I saw what I saw tac.

Edit: As for born to be a victim, waiting to hear your updates on that little Symonds Bhajji incident, and the response of some Aus forummers to it.

Last edited by on Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:38; edited 1 time in total
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:36

prasad14 wrote:really tough to blame 10 and 11 for what happened today.

Yep. They were probably up in the dressingroom thinking themselves safe as Clarke started that last over.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by please don't yell Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:37

prasad14 wrote:really tough to blame 10 and 11 for what happened today.

Aye was one of those pitches, if you're in stay in because it may be easy for you but the first 5-10 balls are very dicey.

Similar i guess to day 4 or 5 Indian pitches where the first 10 minutes are as tough as you will ever face.

please don't yell

Number of posts : 1138

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:38

Zat wrote:
Henry wrote:So suddenly Darryl Hair is god's gift? What's he got to do with anything? So he would have certainly umpired in this test if he was still on the elite panel?
Here, have a present.
The repercussions - Page 2 Cluepo10

Maybe you should clip that out yourself seeing as Hair wouldn't have been able to stand in this Test anyway, even if he wasn't an egotistical bloater who thought the world went dark when he sat down.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:38

furriner wrote:
tac wrote:And I think you are blowing it out of proportion.

I don't.

tac wrote:I just never like to put the worst possible spin on things . . . maybe I wasn't born to be a victim.

I saw what I saw tac.

Yep. But because I'm not so emotional about this sort of thing and prefer to think the best of people, I saw something much different. Let's agree to differ on this one.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:40

Maybe you should clip that out yourself seeing as Hair wouldn't have been able to stand in this Test anyway, even if he wasn't an egotistical bloater who thought the world went dark when he sat down.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 06 Jan 2008, 08:41

bliksem wrote:[Maybe you should clip that out yourself seeing as Hair wouldn't have been able to stand in this Test anyway, even if he wasn't an egotistical bloater who thought the world went dark when he sat down.
Find where I said Hair would have been able to stand in this match bliks. I was merely stating that the ICC has made a complete hash of umpiring, by allowing Bucknor to keep going, despite being sub standard, but giving Hair the flick despite them saying he was one of the best umpires.

Would you like a token too?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum: