Syria

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Syria

Post by skully on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 08:03

The Seppos and allies seem in absolutely no doubt that the al-Assad regime used chemical weapons on their own people. Air strike retaliation apparently* due in a day or so.

Another WMD affair? If the Basil Fawlty lookalike is guilty of gassing his own civilians then he probably deserves the shit bombed out of him.

Thoughts?

skully

Number of posts : 93617
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Syria

Post by skully on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 08:05

He grows a rubbish moustache...

but has a tidy wife...

skully

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The One on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 08:28

the UN team is not going to gather any proof on who used the weapons, just whether they were used or not

after obama's infamous 'red line' speech assad would have to be a real idiot to use them, especially when he seems to be on top right now. wouldn't be surprised if some faction of the rebels used it to get some international support

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 08:34

skully wrote:

but has a tidy wife...

Carrying some heavy balls . . .

PS Believe she's an English chick.

PPS Bomb the f**k out of them . . . each side is as bad as t'other.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14693
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 11:50

Surely the answer, if it's finally considered time to "fight fire with fire" (about 6 months late) is to infiltrate the government and "take out" or take out (for The Hague or some such) the main perpetrator/s of such abuse of power?

I don't see how Bombing the f**k out of them (always with "collateral damage" - and that ain't historic buildings, folks) is much advance on chemical weapons.
PeterCS

Number of posts : 41606
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 13:19

Like I said . . . both sides are as bad as each other.
Islamist fundementalists on the one side - Assad's dictatorship on the other.

So . . . how do you determine who is right and who is wrong?
Rumours abound that the gas attacks may have been perpetrated by the Syrian rebels themselves whilst seeking world sympathy. No one honestly knows what the hell is actually happening i that country. We read the Western Press and believe hand on heart!

Anyway, it depends on what you want in/from the Arab states . . . dictators who keep the mob under control or Islamist fundementalists who errrr. . . also keep the mob under control - only with the same brutish force - oh . . . just like the dictators!.

They're like for like - both tarred with the same brush.
Give it 5 years (less in Egypt's case, as proven recently - note the "rebels" against Morsi the "elected" leader . . . so, where did they pop up from??) and the fundementalists will turn around and bite the West /Europe in the arse perhaps even creating another taliban like autonomy.
WTF knows?

Hence my "Bomb the lot of them" comment (ad libbed, tongue in cheek of course) - because they are as bad as each other. The Arab Spring was never ever a fight to install democracy in the particular country - it was to seize power - only by the other guy who also had suppression writ all over his particular mandate, only under a different guise.

Better still - LET THEM SORT IT OUT THEMSELVES. . . . OR . . . LET THE ARAB LEAGUE DO SO.

The West has absolutely no right nor say in the matter. If they do, it will be another total f**k up, as it was in Iraq and Afganistan.

Do we want another 1000 dead UK soldiers poking their snouts where they do not belong?

I think not.

Merlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The One on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 13:54

i am guessing if they are dead they won't be poking their snouts anywhere

it's quite obvious the west does not have the stomach for boots on the ground and 'building a society'. what will a few tomahawks achieve? besides lots of anger and probably retaliation. obama put his foot in his mouth with the red line comment and now cameron is seeking to outdo his master

The One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 14:55

. . . errrrrrr what the f**k are India doing about all this sh*t
other than pontificate from their pedestal in their usual smarmy arsed way . . . ?

Oh I forgot, you got your own little tete a tete with the Pakistanis cross border . . . okay, carry on!

Anyway, keep sitting on the fence and do f**k all ('cept broadcasting Indian solutions to world upheavals) . . and oh yes, extremely witty btw, about the dead soldiers/snouts.

Yep, liked that.

PMSL ..

Merlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 14:57

You're back with a vengeance, Merls! Laughing Laughing
PeterCS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by horace on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 15:23

much of the above makes sense...the seppos, poms, frogs et al seem to be convinced - but it does look like a tawdry sequel to the WMD supposedly held by Iraq...I can see the story two years from now...we acted on the best intelligence etc..and we now have )a real democracy after showing alfie assad a taste of cold hard brit, seppo and French steel (and have no doubt the mad monk will commit Oz effort to hang on to the coat tails)
,,,who knows - maybe Iran is the end game and control of oil....meanwhile x hundred thou Syrians will bite the dust
horace

Number of posts : 36190
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 15:52

Support Jihadis or the government? Why even get involved when they kill the f*ck out of themselves?

There, that's the fence, that's my arse, that's the place to pontificate sitting on a high horse having tete a tetes with Pakistan, at least saves on fuel to not travel half way around the world.

tricycle

Number of posts : 12758
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 15:56

I don't get why bombing injudiciously (and it will be injudiciously) is going to help. Their problems are systemic and long worn.
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 16:56

tricycle wrote:Support Jihadis or the government? Why even get involved when they kill the f*ck out of themselves?

There, that's the fence, that's my arse, that's the place to pontificate sitting on a high horse having tete a tetes with Pakistan, at least saves on fuel to not travel half way around the world.
Precisely my point.
I read you trike - I like your attitude - unlike someone else pontificating further up on this page!

The only difference is that we've been there, got the T shirt which is now in rags and used to wipe the oil off the dip stick.

AND STILL WE DON'T LEARN OUR LESSON. . . .

Tally Ho . . .let's go in and box Johnny Foreigner's ears in his own back yard.
Show him we care . . . solve the problem . . . send in the troops and the gunships . . . kick arse . . . then stay behind and tidy up . . . ten years and 1000 souls later . . . let's pull out and leave them real democracy . . . job done.

Ask Blair all about it.
On second thoughts, don't.

Solution : Steer clear. Let them kick shit out of each other . . . they've been doing it to each other for centuries.

Merlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by horace on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 17:22

agreed merls...the west in its efforts to secure oil is multiplying the number of crazed religioids ...relatively stable regimes in Iraq, Egypt and Libya have gone...the numbers of those slaughtered has multiplied...Cameron, Hollande and Obama are mad to think these wars will not be brought home
horace

Number of posts : 36190
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The One on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 18:36

Merlin wrote:. . . errrrrrr what the f**k are India doing about all this sh*t
other than pontificate from their pedestal in their usual smarmy arsed way . . . ?

Oh I forgot, you got your own little tete a tete with the Pakistanis cross border . . . okay, carry on!

Anyway, keep sitting on the fence and do f**k all ('cept broadcasting Indian solutions to world upheavals) . . and oh yes, extremely witty btw, about the dead soldiers/snouts.

Yep, liked that.

PMSL ..
you're getting your panties in a twist because i said intervention is pointless and you seem to agree with that position?

cool

The One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:06

No knickers.
No twist.
Just marvelling at the ease at pontification whilst sat atop a fence!

Merlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The One on Wed 28 Aug 2013, 19:11

opposing intervention is sitting atop a fence? you really are as dumb as you usually sound

The One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 01:45

Merlin wrote:
tricycle wrote:Support Jihadis or the government? Why even get involved when they kill the f*ck out of themselves?

Precisely my point.
I read you trike - I like your attitude - unlike someone else pontificating further up on this page!

The only difference is that we've been there, got the T shirt which is now in rags and used to wipe the oil off the dip stick.

AND STILL WE DON'T LEARN OUR LESSON. . . .

Tally Ho . . .let's go in and box Johnny Foreigner's ears in his own back yard.
Show him we care . . . solve the problem . . . send in the troops and the gunships . . . kick arse . . . then stay behind and tidy up . . . ten years and 1000 souls later . . . let's pull out and leave them real democracy . . . job done.

Ask Blair all about it.
On second thoughts, don't.

Solution :  Steer clear.  Let them kick shit out of each other . . . they've been doing it to each other for centuries.
Yeah, was swinging for a long while till it became a situation of apathy really. al Assad had been promising democracy for half a decade, but that was never going to happen given he'd be the obvious loser. The al Qaeda listing rebels as martyrs, turning the Air force over one's own country, a few months and it was just apparent that all of them are qunts. In all this conflict, the Hezbollah would've lost quite a bit of their support. Shame about the likes of Aleppo.

tricycle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:20

The big problem here is that there simply are no easy answers. Whatever we (the west) do we might not be able to make anything better and could easily make things worse. At the same time, I don't like the 'leave them to it, it's nothing to do with us' attitude - it's the 21st Century and they're human beings. Holding up our hands and saying 'not our problem' IS morally bankrupt.

It's time's like these I'm glad I'm not the one in charge having to make these decisions.
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skully on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 11:43

What's a cruise missile worth these days?
skully

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 12:03

skully wrote:What's a cruise missile worth these days?
Four pence ha'penny, Skulls . . . well, I suspect a couple of million zlotties at least!!

But, it's not the cruise missiles that concern me, it's the fact that they will, in all probability, be a prelude to ground troops being deployed.
Once again therefore, the West (US and UK specifically) have Seppo and British soldiers fighting in another land far away.

This is not the f**king Crusades from centuries ago. . . it's the modern world.

I personally did not elect any British Government to deploy incumbent troops - at their will - into foreign parts for no reason other than to "stop the bloodshed overseas".

Like I said earlier, let the bloody Arab League sort the problem out ... I'm buggered if I welcome the prospect of further British lives being lost abroad in a cause that has bugger all to do with us.

That may sound selfish - but that's the way I (and I would hope, the majority of Brits) see it . . . and it seems the penny has finally dropped in Parliament . . . no more "gung-ho let's go kill the natives" - at least, not without a full debate first. I just bloddy well hope Cameron does not morph into the evil bastard that was Blair  . . .

Merlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 12:42

So are you backing the Labour, Merls? As a sane, moderating influence.

Membership forms available here:

http://www.flamingredflag_merlo_application_form.html
PeterCS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin on Thu 29 Aug 2013, 13:54

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, Petey!
Wash yer mouth out wi' soap !!

Gawky Eddie Milliebandana's playing a cool hand here by holding back his support . . . his waning popularity might have something to do with it ,methinks . . . after all, he was all gung-ho himself just last week to go in to Syria guns blazing !!

I just hope sanity prevails . . . debate on BBC at 2.30 this afternoon . . .

Merlin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle on Fri 30 Aug 2013, 02:46

Winkle Spinner wrote:The big problem here is that there simply are no easy answers. Whatever we (the west) do we might not be able to make anything better and could easily make things worse. At the same time, I don't like the 'leave them to it, it's nothing to do with us' attitude - it's the 21st Century and they're human beings. Holding up our hands and saying 'not our problem' IS morally bankrupt.

It's time's like these I'm glad I'm not the one in charge having to make these decisions.
The thing is, it really isn't our or your problems. Despite the volume of deaths, it is a domestic issue, and as you say, neither Russia nor the West has any solution to broker peace. The last time negotiations were forced despite obvious bullshitting, the LTTE went along merrily with their terror for 20+ years while Balasingham's lies were peddled.

On that front, fair effort by the British parliament yesterday.

tricycle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The One on Fri 30 Aug 2013, 04:53

so the uk seems to be out, much to cameron's embarrassment. will we see a franco-american alliance? sacre bleu!

The One

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next