OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: OT: Favourite Current Television Programme?

Post by Henry on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 00:20

I actually thought episode three was the best episode of the third series. The first two episodes were all about Sherlock and Watson's man-love. The third episode actually had some meat on the bone.
Henry

Number of posts : 32652
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 12:09

I just realised that the Director of Photography on True Detective is a bloke I played cricket with in High School. Well f*ck me. That six minute single shot at the end of episode four as they run in and out of the house, then into the car at the end, is epic. I didn't know he had it in him. In High School he was a long-haired, strange looking bloke, who was an average cricketer at best.

Redeemed.
Henry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 13:02

Do you mean Cary Fukunaga or Adam Arkapaw?

Where did you go to high school - Japan or Australia?

Regardless, he doesn't know how close he came to having his career destroyed before it had even begun. If you'd only tipped him for success...
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26196
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 13:05

Dello wrote:Do you mean Cary Fukunaga or Adam Arkapaw?

Regardless, he doesn't know how close he came to having his career destroyed before it had even begun. If you'd only tipped him for success...

He's done now.
taipan

Number of posts : 45878
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 13:17

Dello wrote:Do you mean Cary Fukunaga or Adam Arkapaw?

Arkapaw. Hard to forget a surname like that. I remember him well(ish).
Henry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage on Tue 04 Mar 2014, 22:38

Well, where's your competitive spirit? You need to go one better so that he's posting on some forum somewhere about this guy he knew in school who went on to, I don't know, assassinate Putin or died in a calamitous asphyxiwank.

Or both.
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 06:31

I've watched up to episode five of TD now 

Spoiler:
Mind-blowing stuff, but I've gotta admit in the back of my mind I had been suspecting for a while that they thought Rust Cohle was actually the killer.
Henry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 06:38

Henry wrote:I've watched up to episode five of TD now 

Spoiler:
Mind-blowing stuff, but I've gotta admit in the back of my mind I had been suspecting for a while that they thought Rust Cohle was actually the killer.

Watched seven last night. Lot to tie up in the finale.
taipan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 06:58

Spoiler:
I thought it was a bit unlikely that Hart, an experienced, hard-nosed cop, would march out from the meth den and without hesitation shoot Ledoux in the head after he discovered the two kids (one dead) inside. Unless it was his own kids. Which it wasn't. Ledoux after all was their prime suspect- The guy they thought had killed the girl. The guy they had been trying to get the whole time, and they had him on the ground in handcuffs, yet Hart shots him just like that? Something's up.....
Henry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 07:01

Anyway, you guys are ahead of me here. I'm going to try and catch up tonight.
Henry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 08:23

Henry wrote:
Spoiler:
I thought it was a bit unlikely that Hart, an experienced, hard-nosed cop, would march out from the meth den and without hesitation shoot Ledoux in the head after he discovered the two kids (one dead) inside. Unless it was his own kids. Which it wasn't. Ledoux after all was their prime suspect- The guy they thought had killed the girl. The guy they had been trying to get the whole time, and they had him on the ground in handcuffs, yet Hart shots him just like that? Something's up.....

Not a spoiler of any episodes you haven't seen yet, but I'll tag it anyway...
Spoiler:
I think they've shown Marty's pretty quick to violence when he gets riled up. Calm under pressure is more Rust's thing. Marty's the reactionary, emotional one. From memory, I think the implication was that Ledoux was showering as he'd just had sex with one (or both) of the kids when the cops arrived.

Anyway, it was worth shooting him just for Rust's best line of the series to Marty: "Nice to see you finally commit to something."
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 08:29

Henry wrote:Anyway, you guys are ahead of me here. I'm going to try and catch up tonight.

Spoiler:
For me, 4 and 5 are and were the standout episodes. 6 had some good moments but the Marty and Rust falling out was a bit by the numbers. 7 was what you'd expect - a lot of putting things in place, lining it all up for the big finale. But at the expense of really getting anywhere.

I predict a Wicker Man kind of finish. Rust and Marty have bitten off more than they can chew. One of them's going up in flames in a wicker phallus. Was that the Wicker Man?

In any case, I think it'll be a dark ending.
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 08:38

Dello wrote:
Henry wrote:Anyway, you guys are ahead of me here. I'm going to try and catch up tonight.

Spoiler:
For me, 4 and 5 are and were the standout episodes. 6 had some good moments but the Marty and Rust falling out was a bit by the numbers. 7 was what you'd expect - a lot of putting things in place, lining it all up for the big finale. But at the expense of really getting anywhere.

I predict a Wicker Man kind of finish. Rust and Marty have bitten off more than they can chew. One of them's going up in flames in a wicker phallus. Was that the Wicker Man?

In any case, I think it'll be a dark ending.

Spoiler:
Its not as though they need them for series 2. I think Marty will get it
taipan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 09:52

By the way, for an ugly, balding, middle-aged man, Marty gets some SPECTACULAR pussy. (Episode 2 and episode 6).
Henry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 09:59

Henry wrote:By the way, for an ugly, balding, middle-aged man, Marty gets some SPECTACULAR pussy. (Episode 2 and episode 6).

That was 17 years ago.
taipan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:24

taipan wrote:
Henry wrote:By the way, for an ugly, balding, middle-aged man, Marty gets some SPECTACULAR pussy. (Episode 2 and episode 6).

That was 17 years ago.

I guess he's meant to be around 50 now. So yeah, 17 years ago he was mid 30s, but he banged the second girl in 2002 when he would have been around 41-42. She's the one he gave the money to at the "ranch" back in 1995, telling her to "do something else", when she was about 15 and a prostitute. So she would have only been 21-22 when he "gave" her the "money" once again in 2002.
Henry

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:29

Henry wrote:
taipan wrote:

That was 17 years ago.

I guess he's meant to be around 50 now. So yeah, 17 years ago he was mid 30s, but he banged the second girl in 2002 when he would have been around 41-42. She's the one he gave the money to at the "ranch" back in 1995, telling her to "do something else", when she was about 15 and a prostitute. So she would have only been 21-22 when he "gave" her the "money" once again in 2002.

(1995)

Rust: "Is that a down payment?"
Marty: "Is shitting on any moment of decency part of your job description?"

(2002)

Marty, the human tampon, gets a sweet return on his investment.

Nothing gets by Rust.
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:35

Dello wrote:
Henry wrote:
taipan wrote:

That was 17 years ago.

(1995)

Rust: "Is that a down payment?"
Marty: "Is shitting on any moment of decency part of your job description?"

(2002)

Marty, the human tampon, gets a sweet return on his investment.

Nothing gets by Rust.

Some great dialogue.
taipan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 10:56

Funny review of ep7. Do not read before viewing.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/true-detective/after-youve-gone-season-1-episode-7/4/
taipan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vilkrang on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 11:31

So when does Heroes become unwatchably shite? I've read that the first season is as decent as it gets, and then season 2 and 3 are worse than latter seasons of Dexter. I'm 5 episodes in to season 2 so far and whilst it isn't quite as fast paced, I can't notice a huge difference between it and the first season. Is it going to become dramatically terrible in a few episodes time or do people exaggerate the dip in quality?

I know it's not amazing at any point, but I was about to just stop watching after hearing all the shite but it is still interesting enough at present.

vilkrang

Number of posts : 12210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 12:01

vilkrang wrote:So when does Heroes become unwatchably shite? I've read that the first season is as decent as it gets, and then season 2 and 3 are worse than latter seasons of Dexter. I'm 5 episodes in to season 2 so far and whilst it isn't quite as fast paced, I can't notice a huge difference between it and the first season. Is it going to become dramatically terrible in a few episodes time or do people exaggerate the dip in quality?

Not sure about the exaggeration, but I can't remember much about the show after the first season - and I watched every episode.

IIRC, the second season got shafted by the writers' strike and only got through about half the episodes. Not the better half, either, as it was supposed to be a slow build up to something, but then they never got around to it.

And when the third season came around, they just acted like huge portions of the previous season (and some of the characters) never existed, and they weren't mentioned again.

It was probably around this time that the writers realised the world they created was problematical from a narrative perspective as no matter what happened, no matter how dramatic, heart wrenching or devastating the plot development, at any moment Hiro can go back in time and reset the entire season's plot as a lazy way to save the day, or Claire's blood can heal anyone, so there's really no jeopardy at all that anything that happens to any main character has the slightest consequence.

The show then quickly became a repetitive stream of characters conveniently "losing" their abilities whenever the plot needed to string out a storyline for a while, when a quick "time travel" or whatever would've nipped it in the bud in five seconds.

There was a quite risible denouement to one season, where Peter and Syler were the most powerful superheroes in the universe, having both acquired every ability going, and their inevitable face off took place off camera, behind closed doors, because all the required CGI and special effects to pull off a showcase of their incredible abilities was way beyond the show's budget.

There was a lot of banging. I think a chair got broken.

Ha ha ha - yeah, it did get shit. Big time.
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by vilkrang on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 14:06

But considerably worse than season 1? I mean it's already a bit shit really, it's not like the first season is unmissable.

vilkrang

Number of posts : 12210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 14:10

vilkrang wrote:But considerably worse than season 1? I mean it's already a bit shit really, it's not like the first season is unmissable.

It is back next year.
taipan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage on Thu 06 Mar 2014, 14:23

vilkrang wrote:But considerably worse than season 1? I mean it's already a bit shit really, it's not like the first season is unmissable.

I guess you'll have to watch it and see. As I said, I can't remember that much about it any longer, but I certainly spent most of the series rolling my eyes and tutting at the craptitude of it all.

Spoiler:
Syler becomes one of the good guys. I think. And then bad again. And then good again. This became a weekly twist. Nothing he - or anyone else - did ever made much sense beyond the immediate need for their character to fall into line with whatever increasingly weak plot they were selling that episode.

Oh, I remembered another stupid thing. There was a girl who could run really fast. That was her power. There'd been some laboured storyline or other to explain why Hiro - once again - couldn't just go back in time and fix the present because his abilities weren't working. So she went instead. BY RUNNING SO FAST THAT SHE WENT BACK IN TIME!!! Which was kind of funny. They didn't bother even trying to explain how she was then able go forward in time afterwards to her original starting point. Did she run backwards?

I might start watching this show again. The more it comes back to me, the more I want to know.
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs on Fri 07 Mar 2014, 19:30

You all need to watch Kill List! FFS I've been on about it for 2 years (p49 of films thread). And don't read anything about it beforehand, the less you know the better. It's getting so problematical that you like TD but haven't seen it. It's a very very different to TD but also strangely in tune.
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8926

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top