Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

+12
Paul Keating
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
taipan
skully
Big Dog
Blackadder
Ethics? The Gall!
JGK
embee
Bradman
horace
16 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 36 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by embee Wed 26 Jul 2017, 04:37

I liked Di Natale saying that no Italian boy would ever blame his mother for anything ...
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26157
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 36 Empty Re: Aus Federal Politics thread (XII)

Post by JGK Wed 26 Jul 2017, 04:43

JGK wrote:
skully wrote:Apparently* the I-tie consulate is now saying that as soon as Canavan took a political office, his Italian citizenship lapsed.

Which wouldn't  save him from not being an Italian citizen at the time he ran for Parliament.

Actually I lie. He was first elected in 2013 so if the Italian citizenship lapsed then then he should be fine for the 2016 election.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 26 Jul 2017, 06:38

Fascinating shut that.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 28 Jul 2017, 01:26

And on and on we go...

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/pauline-hansons-sister-judy-smith-could-replace-malcolm-roberts-in-the-senate-20170727-gxkfha.html

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 29 Jul 2017, 01:11

The Vic Lib Greek is legal.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105779
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sat 29 Jul 2017, 01:46

Canavan still rooted. Seriously, would one of the independents fire off a protest against Banks and could the HC please clarify this entitled BS once and for all.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 29 Jul 2017, 03:44

Farkin lol at all this. Am enjoying the brownies born to rule mentality and palaver. The juxtaposition of the Positions of the Brownies and No Notion to that of the Hippies is sharp. The Brownies need Saddam Trump to pardon them.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42559
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 01 Aug 2017, 03:11

One of the Tozzie pinkos has now been drawn in. She says the British foreign office acknowledged receipt of her renunciation form a week before the cut off but she doesn't say when it became official (which I thought would have thought is the relevant date).

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 01 Aug 2017, 04:45

Farkin lol. We have a foreign head of State ffs. Australia - couldn't organise a beer in a brewery
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 01 Aug 2017, 06:45

We are (increasingly) a nation of migrants, so it's no wonder that many of the pollies have links to other countries, and we should be seeing this if our talk of diversity is to be anything more than lip service ...

However, it's been careless of all embroiled in this saga to have contrived to be elected whilst still outside the current strict eligibility criteria. I have English (1) and non-English (2) European ancestry on both sides, just two generations back, so it's easy enough to see how people could be unwittingly eligible for citizenship of another country .... with the law as it has been, it's clearly incumbent on prospective pollies to take every step and then some to exclude themselves from foreign citizenship: just thinking you don't have it because you've never used it or even applied for it isn't enough.

In reality, though (and I'm talking prospectively, not seeking to correct the past) ... so long as they have Australian citizenship, and more importantly allegiance, should that not be enough? Isn't it about time and in the interests of all parties to re-visit the laws to reflect that modern reality?

And now, going back - how many of our very first federal politicians would have been ineligible for office under a strict interpretation of the current law? A high percentage, I'd imagine, but I have no information ... has anyone seen anything on this?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 37987

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 02 Aug 2017, 01:13

Of course you are right. I think many polliesafter Federation were Brit citizens. Pomgolia had a special status then. Forget when it changed. ??? Would know.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 02 Aug 2017, 03:44

I don't think citizenship actually existed until sometime between the wars (and has been a farking mess ever since). And it was (still is?) illegal to hold dual citizenship if you went looking for it.

Whilst a lot of these miscreants don't seem to have taken the required effort the HC should at least clarify "entitled" one way or another.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 08 Aug 2017, 06:52

Is anyone else heartily sick of the same-sex marriage "debate" and wish pollies would just get on with sorting the real issues, like the price of power FFS?

Christ guys, get serious about the serious matters, ay??!!
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105779

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 08 Aug 2017, 06:59

skully wrote:Is anyone else heartily sick of the same-sex marriage "debate" and wish pollies would just get on with sorting the real issues, like the price of power FFS?

Christ guys, get serious about the serious matters, ay??!!

All the more reason to have a Parliamentary vote which could happen in a few days. It's only our Tories which keeping this a thing.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 08 Aug 2017, 12:23

Would rather have plebiscites on wars our turkey govts enter. Personally I am opposed to marriage - het or between Noge and Merlins
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 08 Aug 2017, 12:56

Have to get it through so that we can begin the debate on same-sex divorce.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 09 Aug 2017, 05:21

NT News today:

Aus Federal Politics thread (XII) - Page 36 1

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 09 Aug 2017, 09:39

Tony Abbott, thunderqunt:

“I say to you, if you don’t like same-sex marriage, vote ‘no’. If you’re worried about religious freedom and freedom of speech, vote ‘no’. If you don’t like political correctness, vote ‘no’, because voting no will help to stop political correctness in its tracks.”

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Wed 09 Aug 2017, 09:45

JGK wrote:Tony Abbott, thunderqunt:

“I say to you, if you don’t like same-sex marriage, vote ‘no’. If you’re worried about religious freedom and freedom of speech, vote ‘no’. If you don’t like political correctness, vote ‘no’, because voting no will help to stop political correctness in its tracks.”

I think he has a point. Political correctness is the scourge of the western world.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Wed 09 Aug 2017, 09:57

relying on useless Australia Post to handle the voting forms = recipe for failure
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11934
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 09 Aug 2017, 12:25

Australia Post?

We might get a result before the next election but I wouldn't be over-confident.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 09 Aug 2017, 12:28

Big Dog wrote:
JGK wrote:Tony Abbott, thunderqunt:

I think he has a point. Political correctness is the scourge of the western world.

Maybe but WTF does same sex marriage have to do with it?

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 09 Aug 2017, 13:22

Nath wrote:relying on useless Australia Post to handle the voting forms = recipe for failure

Like they actually want this venture to 'succeed'...the bigger the schemozzle, the bigger the shitfight, the better they want it

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8786
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 14 Aug 2017, 03:21

Well ok. I admit to a grievous error. Always thought Barnaby Joyce, like his chief clapper - Bodyline - was an extra terrestrial spy. Turns out Barnaby is a Snoozie. Far more dangerous and fatal to the future of humanity.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 14 Aug 2017, 03:25

Roots in brothels, beers in breweries, choirboys in Pells home cathedral....turns out the brownies cant find any of them.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next