AFL 2017

Page 36 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Go down

Re: AFL 2017

Post by horace on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 04:49

Aye. Beautiful Spring day. Hope Embee has worked out how to listen to or follow the game. What a time for TLA to insist he be high on the hill is the lonely goatherd.
horace

Number of posts : 37058
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 06:35

Close game. Go Tiges.
Big Dog

Number of posts : 14816
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

View user profile http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by skully on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 06:43

Good 2nd quarter by the Tiges.
skully

Number of posts : 94845
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 07:08

Crows playing poorly but Tigers got the rub of the green with the umps, notably the Martin and Betts decisions.

Crows really up against it now. These interstate teams seem to struggle on GF day.

Crows proven to be impostors on the big day.

BTW, there is no blueprint for winning a GF now.

Crows have key forwards which appear to be an endangered species as pace and manic pressure have become the key ingredients to success.

Last edited by Red on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 07:46; edited 1 time in total
Red

Number of posts : 15798
Registration date : 2007-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by horace on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 07:46

All over red rover. The Tiggers may shout Embee an annual overseas trip in September. Ex Mrs H has been texting like she is bat shyte crazy. She is of course a typical Tigger fan.
horace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 07:49

Next year money has to be on the
Dees or Saints, following the Bullies and Tigers coming from the clouds.

Am not convinced the Tigers will remain a super force though. With the diluted 'competition" it is hard to stay up. Richmond also has had zero injuries a propitious draw and good fortune with the MRP.  The planets have truly aligned so they will enjoy their champagne tonight.
Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skully on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 08:01

Viva La 9thmond!!!
skully

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 08:03

I'm calling it. Great win to the Tiges.
Big Dog

Number of posts : 14816
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

View user profile http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 08:32

Well played Richmond!
Nath

Number of posts : 10206
Registration date : 2007-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skully on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 08:32

The Yurt will be rockin' tonight.
skully

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 10:00

Big Dog wrote:I'm calling it. Great win to the Tiges.

It was over early in the second. Once Richmond got ahead, Adelaide fell apart.
Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by horace on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 22:44

Aside from the Port-Weasels game it was a boring Finals series. The Crows would have won the GF had the match been played at AO. Melbourne based teams are advantaged by playing interstate teams at the G.

This why the Brions 3peat against Melbourne based.teams in 01-03 was remarkable. Only the Bloods in 2012 were able to beat a Vic based team this century.

horace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 23:29

horace wrote:All over red rover. The Tiggers may shout Embee an annual overseas trip in September. Ex Mrs H has been texting like she is bat shyte crazy. She is of course a typical Tigger fan.

spent yesterday with a few of them and it's true

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 33333
Registration date : 2007-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Sat 30 Sep 2017, 23:38

horace wrote:Aside from the Port-Weasels game it was a boring Finals series. The Crows would have won the GF had the match been played at AO. Melbourne based teams are advantaged by playing interstate teams at the G.

This why the Brions 3peat against Melbourne based.teams in 01-03 was remarkable. Only the Bloods in 2012 were able to beat a Vic based team this century.

Agree, but the Lions were unique in that they were much more talented than the other teams because of what the AFL was engineering at the time. Similarly, the Weagles in the early 90s were a veritable state team.

Recently though if you look at Melbourne and interstate match-ups, the former is advantaged at the 'G. The only exception this series to a blowout was the Port/Weagles and the WA team plays well in Adelaide. Every other clash was one-sided, and the home team was dominant.

This could be a foretaste of things to come unless non-Victorian teams get more MCG exposure.
Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by horace on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 01:01

The top four interstate teams should play a minimum of 6 games at the G. Lower ranked mcg teams can play more games at Eddiehead. The altternate is for the GF to be played interstate if that is where the higher ranked team comes from.
horace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 03:28

The MCG is contracted to host the GF until 2037.
Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 05:03

Red wrote:The MCG is contracted to host the GF until 2037.

bounce snoopy-dance
Nath

Number of posts : 10206
Registration date : 2007-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 08:36

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-adelaide-ruckman-paddy-ryder-charged-with-assault-and-hindering-police-20171001-gysai2.html

Ryder in strife.
Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk on Sun 01 Oct 2017, 13:33

embee wrote:Tiggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lids off

2017 Premiership is ours

Congrats on the result AND the early call

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 7176
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 00:55

I had the 'flu vaccination last w/end, and by midweek felt like shite, ached all over and unable to sleep properly (too hot) - so have been dozing downstairs on the sofa.

I came to just as the GF was starting, so made a brew and watched it. Must admit it all looked a bit random as a first-time watcher, but I did enjoy it, and will look to see more in the new season I think. It looks like a fast game with little stoppage time.

Forgive my ignorance - but it struck me that compared with soccer, RU and league the officials didn't appear to be very busy. Obviously serious foul play (clothes-lineing, head shots, stamping etc etc) isn't allowed - but apart from that it almost looks like 'anything goes'. Are there no technical offences eg offside, or restart offences (equivalent to say scrum/lineout offences in rugger) ? I saw a few instances of jostling/shoving, at the breaks - and off the ball ..... little more than handbags at 20 yards. It stood out because nobody seemed fussed, but a footballer over here would be yellow carded for raising his hands to another player
Growler

Number of posts : 2141
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 04:14

Interesting Growler, when I was living and working in England, the locals told me that Aussie Rules basically has no rules and that anything goes as you have suggested.

We traditional fans here, believe that some umpires are over officious in their interpretation of the rules. There definitely are many ways in which players can be penalised, and there are correct ways to tackle etc., but free flowing play is encouraged.

On another note, the Hawks have sacked their CEO Gaudry after only five months in the job.
Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by embee on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 19:58

In 1989 after an amatuer footy grand final I had a race with a mate to see who could throw up first . I lost by about 30 seconds but scored bonus points for chundering on the shoes of the club captain. I later proceeded to try and empty a glass by drinking from a straw while one of my mates filled it up with vodka. After that I dont remember much apart from waking up on a rotten mattress on the back verandah of a house I didnt know getting covered in spray from wind blowing the heavy rain that was falling.

I mention this because before the Yurt  experience of Friday night  this was the coldest miserablest night I had ever known

The Yurt was ****** cold ...it was warmer than outside ...but still ****** cold

I didnt sleep much and had my alarm set for 6 to put on all my clothes and go over to the area that had wifi coverage

Unfortunately I set the alarm for 6PM and as the yurt warmed up a bit*(felt like it was 7 or 8 Kelvin)  I finally got into a deep sleep  and woke at 7.15 . We were down but coming

I spent the rest of the morning getting score updates on the AFL app and getting happier and happier as we got further in front ...but still worried we'd Richmond away a five goal lead

TLA had to explain to some Swiss Germans why I was acting so erratic
Finally with about 15 minutes to go I put the radio on and listened as we finished off the crows ...Magic ...I could feel and see the goose bumps rising ...

With minutes to go but the flag safe I had to jump on the train as we made a dash across Switzerland to Zurich

An hour down the mountain to Montreux ...half an hour to Lausanne...catch the train to Bern ( another hour) and switch to Zurich (another hour)

We met our Swiss friend at the train station and he gave us a mini tour of Zurich

After walking for about half an hour and visiting the best chocolate shop in town (iho) I spotted...in some dark mall in Zurich... the tell tale liquorice allsort of an Adelaide Crows jumper ...in mid conversation with TLA and our Swiss host I yelled out "go the Tiges....Yellllow and Black!!!!" ...the crows fan head dropped  ....I'd got to deliver my vcitory cry to the opposition ...it felt gooooood

TLA  tla and our Swiss mate had the shit scared out of them by my yelling.

I'm now in London and this is the first chance I've had to get on the net

Yellow and Black ...Back to Back
embee

Number of posts : 24053
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk on Mon 02 Oct 2017, 22:20

horace wrote:The top four interstate teams should play a minimum of 6 games at the G. Lower ranked mcg teams can play more games at Eddiehead. The altternate is for the GF to be played interstate if that is where the higher ranked team comes from.

And meanwhile fans of Vic clubs scream blue murder if they get sent interstate more times than the club next door...I was howled down after one Carl AGM around the millennium when we got absolutely caned at the Gabba in the finals in 96 and again in 99 not having set foot in the joint in the meantime, when I suggested 'if the AFL expect us to play finals in these dumps we have to play a H&A game there at least every second year, THAT's what we should be pounding the table at AFL House about'....6 games for each i/s club would be hard to fixture and prob more than is necessary for acclimatisation purposes, but two or three guaranteed is reasonable.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 7176
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by horace on Tue 03 Oct 2017, 00:11

Fantastic post from Embee. reaction was not unlike mine in 2005. Soak it up. Enjoy 'bigly' as POTARSE would say.

Great post from Growls too. I've taken a number of overseas friends to our unique game and tried to explain the rules between yelling my lungs inside out. It's ok on tv but much better being there. Yes, there is no offside. No oval is the same size and the MCG or just 'The G' is home to both footy and cricket.

Finally, some sage words from Fred about the AFL fixture. I think the top four interstate teams must play more games at the G. Fixturing could be helped by Geelong playing more home games at the litter box and lower ranked G tenants playing more home games at Eddiehead. The Pies and Dawks are the current lowly ranked tenants. Norf and the Filth should not play at the G next year.
horace

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Red on Wed 04 Oct 2017, 12:43

Stuart Dew will coach the Gold Coast Suns from next year.
Red

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 38 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next