Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by taipan on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 17:47

beamer wrote:Draws must be at an all-time low currently though, we rarely even get to the fifth day in England unless there's substantial rain (and even that can be largely made up for unless a whole day is washed out). There's surely more four day results now than five day results 30 years ago.

Not saying reducing to four days is the right thing, but if they can speed up over rates and get more cricket in a day, and perhaps have a reserve day for major weather interruptions, it might not make such a difference.

I would say the over rates are far better than the Windies in the 70's and they played a lot of short tests.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46173
Age : 116
Reputation : 116
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Sun 24 Sep 2017, 21:01

taipan wrote:
beamer wrote:Draws must be at an all-time low currently though, we rarely even get to the fifth day in England unless there's substantial rain (and even that can be largely made up for unless a whole day is washed out). There's surely more four day results now than five day results 30 years ago.

Not saying reducing to four days is the right thing, but if they can speed up over rates and get more cricket in a day, and perhaps have a reserve day for major weather interruptions, it might not make such a difference.

I would say the over rates are far better than the Windies in the 70's and they played a lot of short tests.
Yeah, but their attack was so good they could just roll teams over in three days on a regular basis. I'm sure there were a lot more draws between other teams, with the pace of scoring being so much slower.

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Nath on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 13:21

rumours of James Vince AND Gary Ballance.

oh please! Laughing we might have a chance now.
avatar
Nath


Number of posts : 9814
Age : 38
Reputation : 39
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 18:00

No idea why Vince is in the conversation... he's only averaging 35 this county season. Michael Vaughan I think was talking him up the other day, "bowl him a wide half-volley and he will put it away". Yeah, and bowl him a decent length one outside off stump and he will nick it to slip, guaranteed. Another failed "chosen one" they can't bring themselves to stamp NTPFEA, I suspect.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ballance got the nod, as he was technically the man in possession when he got injured. But the chances are he would be a liability in Australia, particularly at number 3, having not modified his technique.

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by PeterCS on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 19:27

I agree about Ballance - both parts. A) that they probably still hanker after him (the rumbling about "no new blood" implies as much) - is it for a third or fourth comeback?? - despite: B) not having sorted out his technique, despite its failing during two or possibly three spells against Test-level bowling.

The thinking would be no doubt: okay, so his feet are anchored in the crease, and that's not going to change (or rather, he shows no intention of addressing it - which is the damning bit). But in Oz, where the bowling is fast and short, he can cut and pull his way to great success with his legs concreted into the ground. Can't he?

No, faulty thinking. He'll nick it. He'll get it pitched up and nick it, or miss it, or get trapped LB.

There are lots of better options for the top three, untested though some of them are at the top level, and however much of a no-no that may seem to Bayliss & Co. Stoneman, Burns, Browne, Hameed, Bell-Drummond. I'd even go back to Robson in preference to multi-failed and recalcitrant Ballance.



So Ballance it is. ...
avatar
PeterCS


Number of posts : 41255
Reputation : 92
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Mon 25 Sep 2017, 20:57

PeterCS wrote:I'd even go back to Robson in preference to multi-failed and recalcitrant Ballance.
Are they really competing for the same position? One's an opener, the other is an option for various middle order slots.

Robson seems a sensible option as a backup opener to me. Brought up on Australian pitches, has had a decent county season, pretty much admittedly picked too soon to stop the Aussies getting in there first, but surely in their minds for another chance at some point.

Ballance, well, the gritty and punchy batsman we saw racking up hundreds of runs in that summer against India a few years back... I thought he was inked in for a decade. But the opponents found his weakness and he lost his way. I was a supporter of his well after most had turned against him, that season couldn't have been a fluke, he would work it out and be back. But rather than reinventing himself he stuck with a certain technique and, perhaps counter-productively from an England point of view, had a purple patch in county cricket that couldn't be ignored. But the same failings were still there. Is it a reflection on the county game? It's the sort of issue we haven't had since the Hick/Ramprakash/Crawley days.

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by lardbucket on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 21:08


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9- 400 - 4

lardbucket


Number of posts : 31972
Reputation : 155
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Big Dog on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 21:56

Will Stokes's dustup affect his Ashes chances?
avatar
Big Dog


Number of posts : 13753
Age : 27
Reputation : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

View user profile http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Lindsay no.2 on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 22:08

PeterCS wrote:I agree about Ballance - both parts. A) that they probably still hanker after him (the rumbling about "no new blood" implies as much) - is it for a third or fourth comeback?? - despite: B) not having sorted out his technique, despite its failing during two or possibly three spells against Test-level bowling.

The thinking would be no doubt: okay, so his feet are anchored in the crease, and that's not going to change (or rather, he shows no intention of addressing it - which is the damning bit). But in Oz, where the bowling is fast and short, he can cut and pull his way to great success with his legs concreted into the ground. Can't he?

No, faulty thinking. He'll nick it. He'll get it pitched up and nick it, or miss it, or get trapped LB.

There are lots of better options for the top three, untested though some of them are at the top level, and however much of a no-no that may seem to Bayliss & Co. Stoneman, Burns, Browne, Hameed, Bell-Drummond. I'd even go back to Robson in preference to multi-failed and recalcitrant Ballance.



So Ballance it is. ...

Too true.

If Ballance is being given serious consideration then there's something seriously rotten in Denmark.

Just take a moment to consider what that means.

This is a guy who has proved to be nowhere near up to snuff in the Test arena. Had a good start, got found out big time and is now just a walking wicket (well, maybe not the walking bit as that implies a degree of foot movement but you get my drift).

If it's true then it's either a terrible indictment of our county talent (or lack thereof) or it's a reflection of a group of selectors that are beyond delusional.

He simply cannot be there - for all the reasons stated above by you Peter - plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ballance go public over the fact that due to his colour blindness he cannot see the pink ball. That'll work wonders in the Adelaide test - is he going to go out to bat like Luke Skywalker with the blast shield over his eyes and 'feel' his way to an unbeaten ton.

If he's in and Stokes is inside then we're fooked.




Lindsay no.2


Number of posts : 1177
Reputation : 16
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by horace on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 22:31

Australia is rather strict on the entry of people with crim records or who are considered a risk.

Strauss said selection will still be on the basis of form and fitness and presumably no problems in entry to Oz. Minister Potato Head (Peter Dutton) may impose restrictions on Stokes. This could include restricting his movements and a curfew. Potato will surely seek Pomgolian agreement to ensuring Stokes bats and bowls left handed.
avatar
horace


Number of posts : 34497
Age : 108
Reputation : 66
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Lindsay no.2 on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 22:38

horace wrote:Australia is rather strict on  the entry of people with crim records or who are considered a risk.

Strauss said selection will still be on the basis of form and fitness and presumably no problems in entry to Oz. Minister Potato Head (Peter Dutton) may impose restrictions on Stokes. This could include restricting his movements and a curfew. Potato will surely seek  Pomgolian agreement to ensuring Stokes bats and bowls left handed.

Are you delibarately baiting me horace? Wink

Lindsay no.2


Number of posts : 1177
Reputation : 16
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Bradman on Tue 26 Sep 2017, 23:42

Phurt! Dutton's one of the bootstraps crowd. I'm sure he;ll allow the British to ressurect our raison d'etre.
avatar
Bradman


Number of posts : 12937
Reputation : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by horace on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 02:23

Lindsay no.2 wrote:
horace wrote:Australia is rather strict on  the entry of people with crim records or who are considered a risk.

Strauss said selection will still be on the basis of form and fitness and presumably no problems in entry to Oz. Minister Potato Head (Peter Dutton) may impose restrictions on Stokes. This could include restricting his movements and a curfew. Potato will surely seek  Pomgolian agreement to ensuring , bats and bowls left handed.

Are you delibarately baiting me horace? Wink

Hehe. No coincidence Minister Potato Head started off his career as a humble Qld policeman and is one of the wealthiest Parliamentarians.
avatar
horace


Number of posts : 34497
Age : 108
Reputation : 66
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Bradman on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 02:28

Now, now horrie.
avatar
Bradman


Number of posts : 12937
Reputation : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by horace on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 02:31

Bradman wrote:Now, now horrie.

Hehe. Would you be happier if I deleted 'Qld'?
avatar
horace


Number of posts : 34497
Age : 108
Reputation : 66
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Bradman on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 02:38

Nah! But I've spoken to a lot of cops from that era who were in no way implemented in it (probably why they were beat cops in the country) who all swear they had no idea.

Crock of crap of course. About as believable as the Courier Mail's claim it wasn't aware of anything but isolated incidents.

NSW, or rather Sydney, hasn't changed since the Rum Corps.
avatar
Bradman


Number of posts : 12937
Reputation : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by PeterCS on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 03:20

beamer wrote:
PeterCS wrote:I'd even go back to Robson in preference to multi-failed and recalcitrant Ballance.
Are they really competing for the same position? One's an opener, the other is an option for various middle order slots.

Robson seems a sensible option as a backup opener to me. Brought up on Australian pitches, has had a decent county season, pretty much admittedly picked too soon to stop the Aussies getting in there first, but surely in their minds for another chance at some point.

Ballance, well, the gritty and punchy batsman we saw racking up hundreds of runs in that summer against India a few years back... I thought he was inked in for a decade. But the opponents found his weakness and he lost his way. I was a supporter of his well after most had turned against him, that season couldn't have been a fluke, he would work it out and be back. But rather than reinventing himself he stuck with a certain technique and, perhaps counter-productively from an England point of view, had a purple patch in county cricket that couldn't be ignored. But the same failings were still there. Is it a reflection on the county game? It's the sort of issue we haven't had since the Hick/Ramprakash/Crawley days.

Well-made points.

On the first, the question - just to reiterate, I was talking about top three in the order. There is the question of whether Root should be forced (against his apparent will) to go to 3. Personally, I wouldn't put him there. For reasons I've mentioned before.

And you're right, Ballance may yet be shoved in as an answer to the #5 question. But he's pretty much always been put in line for first wicket down.

Whereas, given the ongoing #3 rumble, I'd probably opt for three openers. As long as they appear to know their stuff, and have decent chances against the fast new and newish ball. Hence the Robson/Ballance alignment.
avatar
PeterCS


Number of posts : 41255
Reputation : 92
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 08:36

There's sure to be some "FFS" picks, just because the past year or so has been such a failure in filling the problem spots. Now the selectors are backed into a corner with few places to go, and we have a head coach who doesn't get to watch any county cricket.

Is there a plan B for Stokes I wonder? I guess Woakes would play and bat at 6 or 7, with Ali and/or Bairstow moving up the order, or there's the option to play an extra batsman I guess.

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Nath on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 09:34

beamer wrote:There's sure to be some "FFS" picks, just because the past year or so has been such a failure in filling the problem spots. Now the selectors are backed into a corner with few places to go, and we have a head coach who doesn't get to watch any county cricket.

Is there a plan B for Stokes I wonder? I guess Woakes would play and bat at 6 or 7, with Ali and/or Bairstow moving up the order, or there's the option to play an extra batsman I guess.

SOS to Freddy Flintoff Wink
avatar
Nath


Number of posts : 9814
Age : 38
Reputation : 39
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by PeterCS on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 09:52

Vince?!?!?! Noooooooooooooooooooooo ..... he's more off the boil than a block of ice!

(So far only "strong rumour".)
avatar
PeterCS


Number of posts : 41255
Reputation : 92
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Nath on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 10:19

England Ashes squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.
avatar
Nath


Number of posts : 9814
Age : 38
Reputation : 39
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by taipan on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 10:58

Nath wrote:England Ashes squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.

No Saffies? Is this a first for England?
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46173
Age : 116
Reputation : 116
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by PeterCS on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 16:50

So ...

Ballance

Vince

Ball

Give me strength ,,,,

Three giant steps for Australia. England selectors have been summoned for a general intelligence test.
avatar
PeterCS


Number of posts : 41255
Reputation : 92
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Dello on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 18:03

Nath wrote:England Ashes squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.

We've woken up back in the 1990s. I've gargled stronger piss.

Parklife.

Dello


Number of posts : 5
Reputation : 0
Registration date : 2017-02-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by PeterCS on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 19:01

Dello!!!!!

There IS a god ...


Good to see you in a grim time, Jay. I hope (obviously) all is well with you.
avatar
PeterCS


Number of posts : 41255
Reputation : 92
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum