Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 19:08

The pundits/commentators really struggling to defend the squad (Aggers - "weakest we've ever sent" etc.), but also struggling to come up with many plausible alternatives. Says a lot really.

"No debutants" did you say, Littlefinger? So what are Crane, Overton and Foakes then? (Won't argue with the latter of the three, picking the now white ball specialist Buttler would have been as bonkers as... well, some of the other picks).

So, middle order - Vince averages 19 in 7 Tests, no fifties, and sub-35 this county season. Can't see why he would be in the top 10 or 15 candidates for a place. Except perhaps that they want "good blokes" to accompany Stokes, Woakes and Foakes. Simon Mann's observation that coach Colly has a better county average this season (albeit in Div 2) says it all.

Then, Ballance - also averages 19 in his last 12 Tests, a liability against the sort of bowling we will face there. AC Malan, a comparatively astronomical 23. All stats more befitting of a number 9 in modern day Test cricket. The coaches might be too busy, but what does Willy Wonka himself do other than watch county cricket? Must have been someone who has caught his eye.

Only two openers. So if Chef or Stonefish break a finger in catching practice, the captain has to throw himself in at the deep end. Still, guess it matters little as he will be in before the shine is off the new ball whether he bats at 2, 3, 4 or perhaps even 11.

Positives - No Dawson, at least, we've obviously got enough good drinks carriers (even without Hales, who presumably did a good job of carrying Stokes's pint while he allegedly twatted that bloke in Bristol the other night...) No crap ageing spinner dredged up like Gareth Barry, or is it David Batty, last year... oh, and the aforementioned rhyming trio at last making it into the same squad, legal issues and self-inflicted injuries permitting! That's about it really.

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by skully on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:04

Dello wrote:
Nath wrote:England Ashes squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.

We've woken up back in the 1990s. I've gargled stronger piss.

Parklife.

Nice to know our former Grand Poobah is still lurking. Very Happy

I agree the squad looks weak on paper, with no obvious solution to the current top order issues being suffered by Engulund. And Foakes got a run to go with Stokes and Woakes. Onya Blokes. aces

God help England if either Jimmeh or Sturat break down.

We'll see, I guess.
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 91202
Age : 106
Reputation : 199
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:15

skully wrote:
Dello wrote:
Nath wrote:England Ashes squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.

We've woken up back in the 1990s. I've gargled stronger piss.

Parklife.

Nice to know our former Grand Poobah is still lurking. †Very Happy

I agree the squad looks weak on paper, with no obvious solution to the current top order issues being suffered by Engulund. And Foakes got a run to go with Stokes and Woakes. Onya Blokes. †aces
I wonder if footballer Sam Vokes fancies a change of sport? And any descendants of TV presenter John Noakes?

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by skully on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:18

A portent of "chokes"?
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 91202
Age : 106
Reputation : 199
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:34

Maybe this squad is all a hoax... it certainly contains a few jokes.

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by lardbucket on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:42

beamer wrote:
skully wrote:
Dello wrote:
Nath wrote:England Ashes squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.

We've woken up back in the 1990s. I've gargled stronger piss.

Parklife.

Nice to know our former Grand Poobah is still lurking. †Very Happy

I agree the squad looks weak on paper, with no obvious solution to the current top order issues being suffered by Engulund. And Foakes got a run to go with Stokes and Woakes. Onya Blokes. †aces
I wonder if footballer Sam Vokes fancies a change of sport? And any descendants of TV presenter John Noakes?

Alfie Noakes will be on tour.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9- 400 - 4

lardbucket


Number of posts : 31972
Reputation : 155
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by skully on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:50

beamer wrote:Maybe this squad is all a hoax... it certainly contains a few jokes.

It's sure to coax some folks to the grounds to watch some strokes. I hope they pack their cokes, smokes and artichokes.
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 91202
Age : 106
Reputation : 199
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 22:54

lardbucket wrote:
beamer wrote:
skully wrote:
Dello wrote:
Nath wrote:England Ashes squad: Joe Root (c), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball, Gary Ballance, Stuart Broad, Alastair Cook, Mason Crane, Ben Foakes, Dawid Malan, Craig Overton, Ben Stokes, Mark Stoneman, James Vince, Chris Woakes.

We've woken up back in the 1990s. I've gargled stronger piss.

Parklife.

Nice to know our former Grand Poobah is still lurking. †Very Happy

I agree the squad looks weak on paper, with no obvious solution to the current top order issues being suffered by Engulund. And Foakes got a run to go with Stokes and Woakes. Onya Blokes. †aces
I wonder if footballer Sam Vokes fancies a change of sport? And any descendants of TV presenter John Noakes?

Alfie Noakes will be on tour.
He might get a game then...

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Bradman on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 01:16

skully wrote:
beamer wrote:Maybe this squad is all a hoax... it certainly contains a few jokes.

It's sure to coax some folks to the grounds to watch some strokes. I hope they pack their cokes, smokes and artichokes.

Like any of those three would have a chance of getting past the Nazis at the gates
avatar
Bradman


Number of posts : 12937
Reputation : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by lardbucket on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 02:38

Stokes revokes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9- 400 - 4

lardbucket


Number of posts : 31972
Reputation : 155
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Henry on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 02:42

An English Ashes team without Stokes.....is it even worth contemplating? Looks like we might have to.

Who would replace him in the squad? If itís like for like then......Jordan Clark from Lancashire?? Rikki f*cking Clarke??? Clark Kent?? Because it certainly wonít be superman......
avatar
Henry


Number of posts : 32686
Reputation : 99
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by lardbucket on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 07:23

Chris Jordan?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9- 400 - 4

lardbucket


Number of posts : 31972
Reputation : 155
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by horace on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 07:46

Stokes is still in the squad. If he comes here, I expect he might cop some noisy criticism.
avatar
horace


Number of posts : 34497
Age : 108
Reputation : 66
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by horace on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 08:02

But if he does the right thing and withdraws, this could be high time to restore English cricket"s 'heart of oak' - I Ronald Bell.
avatar
horace


Number of posts : 34497
Age : 108
Reputation : 66
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 08:27

Even the pale imitation of Bell we've seen in county cricket the past couple of years would probably do no worse than the top order batsmen we've picked... Vince is basically Bell-lite anyway.

If Stokes doesn't go, I think we just pick another batsman in the squad but replace him with a bowler in the XI. Just means we only have all-rounders down to number 8...

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by horace on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 08:34

Great. The Ashes needs the gravitas IRB brings.
avatar
horace


Number of posts : 34497
Age : 108
Reputation : 66
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by beamer on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 08:36

Anyway I'd probably just go with another opener in the squad, given the glaring omission of a backup. Although some sort of "wild card" player as a more like for like replacement might be tempting to the selectors.

beamer


Number of posts : 10103
Reputation : 50
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by furriner on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 11:22

PeterCS wrote:Dello!!!!!

There IS a god ...


Good to see you in a grim time, Jay. I hope (obviously) all is well with you.

He's got 2 posts. Don't encourage the f*cking newb, he should earn his place here.
avatar
furriner


Number of posts : 11650
Reputation : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Bradman on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 11:54

furriner wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Dello!!!!!

There IS a god ...


Good to see you in a grim time, Jay. I hope (obviously) all is well with you.

He's got 2 posts. †Don't encourage the f*cking newb, he should earn his place here.

Hehehe
avatar
Bradman


Number of posts : 12937
Reputation : 17
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Red on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:14

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ben-stokes-englands-desperation-to-win-the-ashes-shows-in-weak-response-20170928-gyqo0e.html

Malcolm Knox thinks that England is going soft.

Of course there are different rules for different St(r)okes.

avatar
Red


Number of posts : 14980
Reputation : 13
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Henry on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 12:56

Back to the squad. It DOES appear to be a bit of a shocker.

Iíve never been impressed by Whittaker in the interviews he gives. Always sounds hesitant, jumbling his words, and getting all defensive. How has he survived this long? Thereís also no logic for picking Ballance and Vince. Makes no sense. If Vince in particular is so brilliant, why didnít they consider him at all this summer? They kept overlooking him for other players and then suddenly. Whittaker is saying how actually, we think heís brilliant. Yeah right.....And heís still only averaging mid 30s this season in division one. I think Iím correct in saying his average in division 1 is something like 33. Thatís across three seasons now. And his test performances were a worry. It wasnít so much his lack of runs, but the fact that he seemed to be unable/unwilling to toughen up and adjust his game to the higher level. Kept getting out the same way which is exactly the same as Westley, but at least Westley made a 50 against a good South African attack.

Ballance is only there because heís Rootís best mate. I get sick of people talking about his ďcharacterĒ. What about his shitty, back foot, poking, prodding technique FFS?? Isnít that more important than character??

I would honestly feel more confident if Jos Buttler was in there as a specialist batting option.

And what about a bowler with a bit of pace? Theyíre pretty much all in the 80-85mph range, whilst all of Australiaís bowlers barring Hazlewood will be 90mph plus. If Wood isnít fit then surely someone like George Garton would be a good gamble to take as a squad pick. This squad just has a whole bunch of right arm medium fast bowlers who will be lined up by Australiaís batsmen on flat pitches against he kookaburra ball. Itís like we havenít learnt a thing from 2013-14. One of the big factors in our 2010-11 win was Tremlett steaming in and bowling 88mph at a height of 6í9. Scared the shit out of the Aussie top order.
avatar
Henry


Number of posts : 32686
Reputation : 99
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by skully on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 13:30

horace wrote:Stokes is still in the squad. If he comes here, I expect he might cop some noisy criticism.

[Balmy Army sings]
15 punches in a minute
Is what Stokesy does, innit
Mess with him and he'll punch your lights
A nasty temper, he's got by rights
A crazy Ginger with bad teeth
Sledge him and he'll lay a wreath
The Ashes in Aus, we expect much joy
Cos we have our nasty red bovver boy
[/Balmy Army sings]
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 91202
Age : 106
Reputation : 199
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by PeterCS on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 13:49

furriner wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Dello!!!!!

There IS a god ...


Good to see you in a grim time, Jay. I hope (obviously) all is well with you.

He's got 2 posts. †Don't encourage the f*cking newb, he should earn his place here.

He saved this place when nobody else lifted a virtual finger. He found it, funded it, fostered it and puled it from the brink once more, Our Great Leader.

Without Him, none of us would be here at all.


You're right. Bastard.
avatar
PeterCS


Number of posts : 41255
Reputation : 92
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : fra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by taipan on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 13:57

furriner wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Dello!!!!!

There IS a god ...


Good to see you in a grim time, Jay. I hope (obviously) all is well with you.

He's got 2 posts. †Don't encourage the f*cking newb, he should earn his place here.

Exactly. He was too lazy to do an Advent calendar last year.
avatar
taipan


Number of posts : 46173
Age : 116
Reputation : 116
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by skully on Thu 28 Sep 2017, 14:44

I imagine rampant "new love sex" far outstrips the excitement of slaving over some lame Forum advent jiggery-pokery every day of the week.

Tell 'em to go fark 'emselves, JD. cheers
avatar
skully


Number of posts : 91202
Age : 106
Reputation : 199
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ashes 2017-2018 countdown

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum