Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*The United States Presidential Election * (III)

+19
whitburn
beamer
WideWally
buckSH
tricycle
Henry
embee
Bradman
Basil
spangler
taipan
JGK
horace
lardbucket
skully
Fred Nerk
Growler
PeterCS
Big Dog
23 posters

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next

Go down

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) Empty *The United States Presidential Election * (III)

Post by Big Dog Thu 12 Jan 2017, 08:14

taipan wrote:
Big Dog wrote:Still, it will be interesting to see the first country ever to be run via a twitter account.

On the bright side his speeches will be confined to 140 characters.

Laughing
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election * (III)

Post by PeterCS Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:18

Growler wrote:
skully wrote:At his first presidential press conference Trump took the opportunity to stick it to the intelligence agencies for leaking Russian intel on him. Odd strategy - get off side with those collecting info that they need to protect you. And of course the fake news line got plenty of air. What a dill.

Aye, skulls - hard to disagree with a single word here ...... not smart at all on the part of the Trumpster.

But .........

......... these are the same organisations that told the world with a straight face that Saddam had WMD which could be launched in 45 minutes, which anyone who ever did military service (and plenty who didn't) knew was complete and utter cobblers. They've spread so much disinformation over the last few decades that their credibility is questionable, to say the least.

Furthermore, the whole thing has more holes than a tatty old string vest - not least that some of the allegations are meant to go back 4 - 5 years or so. Bearing in mind that the thought of political office wasn't even a fantasy for DT at that time. Seriously, do you honestly believe that Putin is such an oracle that he foresaw Trump becoming POTUS and set him up? It's stretching the bounds of credibility to breaking point IMHO.

Crikey, even the Grauniad (probably the most vocal critic of Mr Putin in our media) has doubts on the credibility of this one.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Russia hadn't tried to interfere in some way - but nobody yet has the slightest bit of proof that they've actually done so. If more of the media the world over made the distinction between allegation and proven fact, and reported accordingly, p'raps people would be somewhat less cynical. That applies to media on both sides of the political divide ...... there's almost as much of exaggeration on t'interweb regarding Bill and Hillary as there is the Donald - but most of it never sees the light of day in the mainstream press and TV channels. Don't you ever wonder why that is, my friend?

Growls, I take the point you are addressing only the point of this latest purported set of scandals sexual, financial and high-treasonable.

But - even if there is not one scrap of truth in these latest leaks (unfortunate term) - there is a fatal bigger picture.

The Spectator - hardly a leftist publication - has a column facing the wider context: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/01/can-donald-trump-really-compromised-agent-russian-influence/

And here we are. A President-imminent uses a press conference to launch an all-out war on the country's intelligence services, and swathes of what he - in the alternate/extremist/paranoid term of the time - generalises as "MSM". It's not what you might call statesmanlike.

He kept intoning "Crooked Hillary - put her in jail" and encouraging baboon-chorus barking chants with the same slogans. Trump calling others crooked. (And going back on that threat is something it seems we are supposed to be grateful for, as a sign of some sort of pre-clemency, or mental sanity. If we go that route of being grateful for less heinous behaviour, reminds me of the guy who was found repeatedly beating his head against a brick wall in the street. When urged to stop, it must hurt and would cause permanent brain damage, he replied, with a blood-soaked sickly grin: "Ah, but I'm going to stop at some stage. And imagine the relief once I stop." )

That 3000 km wall against Mexico that he still insists he's going through with, no metaphor ....

"DRAIN - THE - SWAMP!!!" Well, he seems to speak as an expert. In fact, swamps in nature are environmentally/globally useful places, but never mind that. He's too busy filling all places of power with his family, with cronies, and as his media supremo, the boss of Breitbart, a fanatically conspiracist-fantasist-make-it-up-as-you-go-along the-more-flagrant-the-lie-the-better extreme-right, head-, society- and world-destabilising (< too kind a word) fake-news central.

If that's not installing a "swamp" - metaphorical sense, not real sense - I'm not sure what is.

Who's Pootn? Who's Pootn? Who's the puppet? No puppet! Who's the puppet?

It's like a bastardised parody of the history-bastardising revenge-craving proto-Nazi superhuman nutter Nietzsche at his worst. Ecce Ubu Roi!

http://theatre.colostate.edu/events/ubu-roi-alfred-jarry-3-2016-10-23/
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) Empty Re: *The United States Presidential Election * (III)

Post by PeterCS Thu 12 Jan 2017, 11:34

PS: From a 1896 Paris production of Jarry's play.

"Ubu Rex" (< the title is obvious Oedipus reference - blind rage for power, metaphorically if not literally "kill the dad, sleep with the mom"!) is the character on the right.

Looks like a fair portrait.

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) 0c56d73e88b8ae7c6453ce5420c0551b
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 12 Jan 2017, 13:45

Peter, thanks - a reasonable response from you as I'd have expected. Just as I replied to skully above, there's no answer to the thrust of your post. For all his rhetoric, I'm far from certain that there will be any real change to the status quo, and I think many people will be bitterly disappointed well before the next election in 2020.

I still maintain my view that both candidates were equally unfit to be POTUS, and the fact that high profile Republicans and Democrats alike refused to fully endorse DT and HRC respectively backs it up. That, for me says they were the two most divisive in history, and frankly I'm still stunned that out of a population of 300 million +, it came down to this pair.

I can't express how saddened I am that the wells of democracy have been so badly (and IMHO deliberately) poisoned. Whatever he says or does, and however much he may wish to - Donald Trump cannot unite America. The truth is though, had Hillary been elected, she couldn't either. Leaving her involvement with, and knowledge of Bill's activities to one side, she has serious questions to answer regarding Benghazi and e-mails to name but two issues.

E-mails ........ the fact that she used a private server for state business is bad enough, but deleting them in the tens of thousands is even worse. This is, in principle, a matter of national security - yet servicemen from the most junior ranks to starred generals have been disciplined one way or another for far less damaging security breaches. The cover up of her actions stinks like a pot of shit, and even if there was no criminal activity per se, surely she should have been seen as unfit for office on the grounds of sheer fcuking stupidity, no ?

My final thought concerns the campaigning, which had sad parallels with our own referendum campaign earlier in the year. Both sides, in both campaigns were equally bad. Both spent maybe 10% of their time and money putting forward their case, and the other 90% lying, smearing and name calling.

The problem I had with so many remain campaigners (and HRC supporters) was the attitude that "if you don't agree with me, then by default you must be a thick racist, sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic ignorant little shit-kicker ...... but vote with me anyway" (or words to that effect). The biggest pity is that most Trump supporters and Brexiteers really aren't all those things - but the attitude hasn't really gone away has it? Too many people in positions of power are still name-calling rather than even acknowledging - let alone  addressing the concerns expressed and making the case for their position.

That said - the other side have been just as bad, pulling "facts" and figures from their arses willy-nilly and throwing them out there. Frankly, the whole thing has been profoundly depressing. I wish I knew the answer, but I don't, and neither does anybody else, I fear.
Growler
Growler

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sat 14 Jan 2017, 03:20

OK, the final straw: Apparently* Donald Trump's mother is from Lewis (FFS...)

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8790
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 16 Jan 2017, 23:26

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) C2OX2lwXAAAyo-Z
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105795
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Mon 16 Jan 2017, 23:37

Dry.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38010
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 17 Jan 2017, 02:10

it has a continuing air of unreality.

As Obama departs with a speech which is full of optimistic humanism, Trump is brawling with the CIA and 2 news outlets about a golden showers video.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42563
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 17 Jan 2017, 06:05

It's too fantastic to be untrue.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 17 Jan 2017, 06:08

Trump really needs to settle down and grow up. He's acting like the classic American loud bully, and he may get a savage punch in the nose from those around the world that know way better than him.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 17 Jan 2017, 07:20

as Randy Newman wrote a long time ago in his song "Political Science"

"boom goes London, boom Paree
more room for you and more room for me
every city the whole world round would just be another American town
....they all hate us anyhow, so lets drop the big one now

Maybe the Trumpettes organising the inauguration concert, could get some Mormon to sing the full song, tho it could easily be interpreted as Trumps policy platform
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 18 Jan 2017, 12:46

Sounds like plans for the inauguration are going well:

As a purveyor of fake news, Trump can't even get a fake band to show up.

The legendary Bruce Springsteen was never an option – he sings for the Clintons – but the B Street Band, a popular Springsteen cover band, agreed to perform and then withdrew, citing its respect for Springsteen's opposition to Trump.

The big-name line-up, at this stage, is limited to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the Radio City Rockettes, classical singer Jackie Evancho who was the 2010 runner-up on NBC's America's Got Talent, rockers 3 Doors Down and country stars Toby Keith and Lee Greenwood.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 18 Jan 2017, 13:01

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/06/trump-s-sad-crew-of-c-listers-how-hollywood-stars-have-always-shunned-the-donald.html
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 18 Jan 2017, 13:07

JGK wrote:Sounds like plans for the inauguration are going well:

As a purveyor of fake news, Trump can't even get a fake band to show up.

The legendary Bruce Springsteen was never an option – he sings for the Clintons – but the B Street Band, a popular Springsteen cover band, agreed to perform and then withdrew, citing its respect for Springsteen's opposition to Trump.

The big-name line-up, at this stage, is limited to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, the Radio City Rockettes, classical singer Jackie Evancho who was the 2010 runner-up on NBC's America's Got Talent, rockers 3 Doors Down and country stars Toby Keith and Lee Greenwood.

Are they all the one act?

Have they inquired if Good Ol' Boys are still together?

Like playing Justin Beiber at 78 rpm, one consolation is that it makes it over quicker...

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 18 Jan 2017, 21:29

LOL at The Donald.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 18 Jan 2017, 21:33

While you can....in about 45 hours it will suddenly become a shitload of a lot less funny

Fred Nerk

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 18 Jan 2017, 21:44

Heard Obama's farewell speech this morning and was truly regretful and sorrowful for the US.

It's hard to believe that the US (and by extrapolation, the world) has so willingly moved from candid, thoughtful, mature and progressive leadership and statesmanship to explosively reactive, temperamental, narcissistic, jargon-driven and tantrum-laden squealing cot content dispersal.

How did this happen?

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 18 Jan 2017, 21:49

Redneck Seppo voters, as well as the 45% of weak lazy qunts who couldn't be arsed voting.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 18 Jan 2017, 22:29

Aye Lardy, I heard most of his speech. At one stage he acknowledges his program and vision is to be replaced by Trumps. He did this in a manner imbued with grace.

horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Fri 20 Jan 2017, 07:15

Trumps inauguration looks like being a world wide embarrassment.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 20 Jan 2017, 07:18

Followed by a highly embarrassing 4 years (if he is not impeached or assassinated first) as leader of the free world.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 20 Jan 2017, 15:46

One hour to go.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Fri 20 Jan 2017, 17:15

I didn't vote for this shit, why do I have to put up with this orange faced f*ck nut on my tellybox?
spangler
spangler

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 20 Jan 2017, 17:30

Well, he spoke well. Told the faithful what they wanted to hear.

Interesting times ahead.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Fri 20 Jan 2017, 18:18

taipan wrote:Well, he spoke well. Told the retards what they wanted to hear.

Interesting times ahead.
spangler
spangler

*The United States Presidential Election * (III) 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 39 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 39  Next