Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashes lockout with Aussie players on the front foot

+18
tricycle
WideWally
Henry
JKLever
furriner
Blackadder
PeterCS
Bradman
lardbucket
embee
skully
Big Dog
horace
taipan
Basil
Fred Nerk
Nath
Red
22 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ashes lockout with Aussie players on the front foot - Page 3 Empty Re: Ashes lockout with Aussie players on the front foot

Post by skully Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 pm

I could open the batting, once. Bowled handy outswinging offcutters. Can't throw or run. Was a reasonable catcher at 1st slip and gully.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105843
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Ashes lockout with Aussie players on the front foot - Page 3 Empty Re: Ashes lockout with Aussie players on the front foot

Post by embee Tue May 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Somebody saw me bowl at 140+k although in match situations they come out at 120 and say 'hit me!"

I hit the ball a long way but have hard hands and find unusual ways to get out

I am liable to pull a hammy if i have to run or pop a shoulder if i have to throw

I am perfect to be the Oz Number 6

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26180
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue May 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Bradman wrote:Trying to work up the motivation to learn to run again. Looking forward to ending my days playing decently in a comp that takes itself only a little bit seriously.

Do it while you can. I resumed playing at age 48 after 15 years out of the game, and haven't missed a season since. It's been great fun for 10 years. A few beers along the way have eased the arthritic pains.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38037
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Legend. aces
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 pm

Hardly - 40 overs a side can seem like forever!

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed May 24, 2017 2:18 pm

I was actually quite handy, actually screw the false modesty, I was very good when I was younger.

I played two charity games in six years over ten Yeats ago, so lardy's story gives me hope. After listening to embee over the years I was leaning towards umpiring but either way I'm going to have to stow the vanity and finally get some glasses.

A league with trundlersay be a necessity too as I can't understand how anyone of my generation can adapt to helmets.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed May 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Bradman wrote:I was actually quite handy, actually screw the false modesty, I was very good when I was younger.

I played two charity games in six years over ten Yeats ago, so lardy's story gives me hope.  After listening to embee over the years I was leaning towards umpiring but either way I'm going to have to stow the vanity and finally get some glasses.

A league with trundlersay be a necessity too as I can't understand how anyone of my generation can adapt to helmets.

Aye, never wore a helmet.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 pm

Still can't and don't ... I will have to retire if they enforce the wearing of helmets.

116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed May 24, 2017 11:31 pm

When I was 13 I topped edged a ball from a spinner into my mouth and broke off my two front teeth

With a couple of grand of dental work my parents got me a helmet to wear ...sold to me by Bruce Yardley who tested it out by throwing a ball into the helmet while I was wearing it ...

I wore it in my next game and every bowler seemed to be trying trying to hit it ...I scored 32 off about 15 balls , all fours behind square leg with some good hooks and pulls

After I outgrew the helmet I never wore one again

I note in grade cricket that not wearing a helmet sees a batsman greeted with short balls ...it's funny stupid
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed May 24, 2017 11:49 pm

embee wrote:When I was 13 I topped edged a ball from a spinner into my mouth and broke off my two front teeth

With a couple of grand of dental work my parents got me a helmet to wear ...sold to me by Bruce Yardley who tested it out by throwing a ball into the helmet while I was wearing it ...

I wore it in my next game and every bowler seemed to be trying trying to hit it ...I scored 32 off about 15 balls , all fours behind square leg with some good hooks and pulls

After I outgrew the helmet I never wore one again

I note in grade cricket that not wearing a helmet sees a batsman greeted with short balls ...it's funny stupid

Used to be the other way round.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu May 25, 2017 3:20 am

I tried one at training in the 80s and could not stand it. As I must have mentioned when Phews died, I had a friend die in similar circumstances. He wore a helmet.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am

Aye. Just ducking to anything short from a genuine nutjob or using a distance stance to get outside/inside the line against slower nutjobs will do me.

Couldn't believe how often last summer we saw silly fieldsmen's default position as 'drop head into path' rather than looking for a way to china.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu May 25, 2017 11:52 am

So, are you Aussies all ready to answer the call when the central contract guys opt out?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu May 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Bradman wrote:Aye.  Just ducking to anything short from a genuine nutjob or using a distance stance to get outside/inside the line against slower nutjobs will do me.

Couldn't believe how often last summer we saw silly fieldsmen's default position as 'drop head into path' rather than looking for a way to china.

Always saw a big clue in the word 'silly'

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8802
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu May 25, 2017 1:15 pm

PeterCS wrote:So, are you Aussies all ready to answer the call when the central contract guys opt out?

Twenty years ago we could have in all seriousness answered yes.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri May 26, 2017 1:11 am

I can sell your effigies too, I'm not proud.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed May 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Anyone see the CA ads selling the Ashes with Smith in them? Are they normally this early or are they trying to milk his image whilst they can? And are there others?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:21 am

BBL ran at $33M loss?? WTF??

"Cricket’s pay war has plumbed new depths of enmity after the players’ union questioned how the Big Bash League could lose $33 million over five years unless it was grossly mismanaged — ­either that or Cricket Australia’s figures are wrong.

The BBL loss — stated in a CA video sent to players overnight on Tuesday — has prompted the Australian Cricketers Association to call for a probe into how “the most successful story in recent Australian sport” could lose so much money."

---------------------------------------------

So negotiations have got uglier. But HTF could the BBL actually lose money FFS??? Does CA have a Pinko Maths accountant?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 am

Creative accounting
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:18 pm

So it would seem - like moving debt from the Shield to the BBL's books.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Meanwhile, why aren't the following seat shinners doing something about the impasse between CA and the ACA...

The current CA board members:

David Peever (Chairman Peeved off)
Earl Eddings (Fat Eddy)
Dr Bob Every (Everywhere but helping)
John Harnden (Johnny Hard-on)
Tony Harrison (Flash Harry)
Jacquie Hey (Hey you?)
Michael Kasprowicz
Mark Taylor AO.
Michelle Tredenick (Micky Tread-on-it)

Of all of them, Tubby & Kaspa have been through this shit as players. Why haven't they intervened?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:09 pm

embee wrote:Creative accounting

and the CEO had to donate a change shed to Scotch College...and an alt science wing...
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Commonsense at last?

"Cricket Australia (CA) and the states have backed down from a threat to send out contracts under the terms of the pay proposal already rejected by the players, as the board and the Australian Cricketers' Association (ACA) begin the difficult task of reaching an agreement ahead of the June 30 expiry of the current pay MoU.

ESPNcricinfo has learned that domestic players have been sent letters of intent, indicating whether their state plans to contract them for 2017-18 and for how many seasons beyond. However, the letters do not include any financial details, nor the contracts that usually arrive at the same time.
The letters of intent are a marked departure from the CA chief executive James Sutherland's May 12 letter to the ACA, in which he said the contracts would be "consistent with CA's proposal, and contracts will be conditional on a new MoU being in place." "

--------------------------------------------

Let's hope this move in the right direction signals a path to a solution and eventual agreement between the warring parties.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:41 am

Darn it... I was depending on Aussie cricketers being a bunch of moneygrabbers and the board too tight to give way as our best chance of hanging onto the urn for another 2 years.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-07
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:21 pm

JKLever wrote:Darn it... I was depending on Aussie cricketers being a bunch of moneygrabbers and the board too tight to give way as our best chance of hanging onto the urn for another 2 years.

Don't worry. Our selectors will ensure the urn stays in Blighty.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next