So, did I miss anything?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So, did I miss anything?

Post by Lindsay no.2 on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 22:15

Hello all,

For those that remember me – how are you all, hope life’s treating you well.

For anyone new (unlikely any fresh meat has joined - but hey you've got to play the game, right?) who hasn’t a clue who I am – hello, pleased to meet you.

For those that remember me – If for nothing else than feeding my pathetic ego I’d like to say something cool and vaguely tough about what I’ve been up to since last checking in, hinting at time spent at Her Majesty’s Pleasure perhaps, or that I’ve been engaged in government work in foreign climes which I could tell you about but would subsequently have to kill you. The truth, sadly, is a lot more mundane and speaks largely to my lack of technical nous and giving-a-shittery. So, sorry for not being around, been busy, and more importantly you guys moved the whole shebang (and I was too dopey to check back on my email to see that had been done and presumed you’d given it all up – until recently when I decided to delete the 1000+ unread emails in my inbox and saw one notifying me of a domain change or whatever is the correct terminology).

For those that don’t know me – why are you still reading this. Stop now it won’t get any better.

My England re-cap...

Glad to see Jennings has been dropped – calling him a statue does a disservice to the mobility of statues. Still, perhaps he can develop – I recall slating Root in his formative years (Ashes over here in 2013), as he struggled to get it off the square and his scoring rate proved woefully inadequate. And look how he has turned out. But KJ does seem a lot less able than Root so I’m not convinced he’ll come good, and the combo of him, Cook and Ballance at the start of this year was simply tragic. In what world did the selectors think that would work – and how does that trio ever fit with Bayliss’s stated intention to play attacking cricket.

Hopefully Ballance is gone for good. Right? Please.

I don’t know much about the new kids on the block – so anyone got any interesting insight to share from what they've observed at county level. Until then, here's my TV watching two'penneth...

TRJ has looked good – in English conditions but have conditions and the oppo been massively flattering? How do you guys reckon he might fare on Aussie decks, against batsmen who are going to be coming at him rather than prodding and poking about? A good, honest English toiler who could get massacred? Or got a bit mroe about him?

Malan strikes me as a one day guy at best (and if that’s vaguely accurate and you’re playing him then why not Butler, Hales or Roy instead?).

Westley seems mentally at ease at this level – not at all phased (unlike KJ who looked frozen) but his game maybe needs to catch up with his demeanour. Given his legside bias perhaps he can look to learn from Steve Smith? Unless he can leave outside off balls alone I fear him getting horribly exposed by an attack with discipline and guile – e.g. Australia in a few months time. so he needs to use W.I. as his opportunity to improve his groove. Fair? Not fair?

Stoneman? What’s he all about? Anyone?

And Crane gets the nod over Rashid. Given Rashid was the top wicket taker last winter (is that right or have I made that up?) I’d suspect he must be feeling pretty aggrieved and presumably saying ****** it I’m not going to bother with test cricket as I’m never going to get a fair shake. That said I’ve not really engaged with Crane – so is he just streets ahead and a potential superstar leggie?

If none of these newbies (mainly batsmen) work out then what XI for Brisbane are we thinking?

6 batsmen (can we find 6 genuine winners?), wickie, 4 bowlers?

5 batsmen, keeper, 5 bowlers (comprising 3 all rounders in Mo, Stokes, Wokaes and 2 out and out bowlers in Jimmy and Broad)?

Howdoes the insanity of 4 batters, wickie, Stokes, Mo, Woakes, TRJ, Broad, Anderson grab you? Stay with me here. If our presumed 5th batsman (Malan, a.n. other) can’t cut it then just get rid and move everyone up? Bairstow or Stokes to 5? If Stokes were 5 and we’ve effectively got 6 bowling options does Stokes just become a 5-10 overs a day guy – maybe bring on when the ball is reversing as he seems adept. Get him to focus on batting?

I may have been away chaps but my thinking hasn’t got any sharper.

So let rip you bastards.

Good to be back.

Lindsay no.2

Number of posts : 1177
Registration date : 2015-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: So, did I miss anything?

Post by Basil on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 22:32

Welcome back Very Happy

I'd agree with the analysis about the balance of the side, except that I would have a second spinner - that looks like it will be Crane should that eventuality arise. I can only think that the management have seen something in Rashid's temperament which seriously worries them
Basil

Number of posts : 15024
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 22:47

Not sure you missed a lot, but your contributions were missed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9- 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 31973
Flag/Background : baggy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 22:54

Another lost sheep returning to the fold. aces
Big Dog

Number of posts : 13759
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

View user profile http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket on Thu 10 Aug 2017, 22:59

Hopefully a few more (if lost) might find us before the Ashes.

It shouldn't really be that hard to find us. Google cricket skully Dello and perhaps my own ridiculous 'handle', and we should come up fairly promptly.

In fact, this is the first hit:

http://flamingbails.forumotion.com/t15149-calling-dello-shake-the-bottle-wake-the-cricket-forum

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9- 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 31973

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by skully on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 00:01

Welcome back, L no. 2. boozin
skully

Number of posts : 91205
Registration date : 2007-08-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 18:20

Basil wrote:Welcome back Very Happy

I'd agree with the analysis about the balance of the side, except that I would have a second spinner - that looks like it will be Crane should that eventuality arise. I can only think that the management have seen something in Rashid's temperament which seriously worries them

Cheers.

Which side you going for then - the 5 bats, 1 keeper, 5 bowler version? Or the mad all-rounder heavy XI (quite different to the heavy all-rounder XI which could feature the likes of Ian Austin, Derek Pringle and other lumps)? And who would you have Crane in place of?

Lindsay no.2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 18:28

lardbucket wrote:Hopefully a few more (if lost) might find us before the Ashes.

It shouldn't really be that hard to find us. Google cricket skully Dello and perhaps my own ridiculous 'handle', and we should come up fairly promptly.

In fact, this is the first hit:

http://flamingbails.forumotion.com/t15149-calling-dello-shake-the-bottle-wake-the-cricket-forum

Thanks for the welcome back lard, skully and Big Dog.

Referring to your opening line above lard I might find myself getting conveniently lost again during the Ashes - not confident we've got the goods to be competitive. I fear an old fashioned arse kicking in the offing.

At the moment we have only 2 test class batsmen in our top 5. That's very scary. It's been a long time since I can recall our top 5 being as weak as it is now.

Jimmy and Broad are not getting any younger or quicker. Could this be a tour too far for them?

And if Wood can't ever get to the point of being able to play more than 1 test every 6 weeks, or if he can do that then not prove he can start to be a regular wicket taker then we might be heading Down Under with an arsenal of medium pacers. Gulp.

Lindsay no.2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil on Fri 11 Aug 2017, 18:36

Lindsay no.2 wrote:
Basil wrote:Welcome back Very Happy

Cheers.

Which side you going for then - the 5 bats, 1 keeper, 5 bowler version? Or the mad all-rounder heavy XI (quite different to the heavy all-rounder XI which could feature the likes of Ian Austin, Derek Pringle and other lumps)? And who would you have Crane in place of?

Not that it's going to happen for Edgbaston, but you could drop Malan, with everyone else (including Jimmy!) moving up one to accommodate Crane. Any weakening of the batting is negligible and there's an extra bowling option.
Basil

Number of posts : 15024
Flag/Background : eng

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top