Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa v India, 1st Test, Cape Town, 5-9 January, 2018

+9
Henry
Bradman
lardbucket
Aditya
furriner
horace
taipan
Red
skully
13 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

South Africa v India, 1st Test, Cape Town, 5-9 January, 2018 - Page 6 Empty Re: South Africa v India, 1st Test, Cape Town, 5-9 January, 2018

Post by taipan Mon 08 Jan 2018, 19:13

furriner wrote:
JGK wrote:77 needed. 3 wickets left.  Current partnership is 49.

Now THIS is Test cricket.

Thanks.

Red killed you guys
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

South Africa v India, 1st Test, Cape Town, 5-9 January, 2018 - Page 6 Empty Re: South Africa v India, 1st Test, Cape Town, 5-9 January, 2018

Post by horace Mon 08 Jan 2018, 19:17

furriner wrote:
JGK wrote:77 needed. 3 wickets left.  Current partnership is 49.

Now THIS is Test cricket.

Thanks.

Snorfle.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42563
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 08 Jan 2018, 19:19

Red wrote:
taipan wrote:
furriner wrote:This here's getting interesting at SA 92/6.

Bumrah's bowling well.  Hell all of India's pacers are bowling well- never thought I'd say that.

Still, conditions favour the bowlers.  Given SA's attack, we'll prolly get rolled over for 50 come our turn to bat.

The unexpected rain has turned the match upside down. Elgar's drop is going to prove crucial

It cost SA over one hundred runs.  Pujara said that they can chase down 350 so they have to fancy their chances.

The Aussie attack might be licking their lips here watching how twice SA has succumbed badly to swing bowling.

Faf choosing to bat has meant his side has twice had to bat in very tough conditions.

Good call by Pujara. Red is possibly the only person on the planet that believed him
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 08 Jan 2018, 19:41

Anyway India, it turned into a good test. Good luck on the Highveld
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 08 Jan 2018, 20:13

It was an excellent Test with good efforts from bowlers of both teams. Vernon's bowling was terrific. He can bowl with an upright seam and moved the ball at will. Rabada was also terrific, while there is no Bum Rap for the Bummer who also bowled well. ABdV, twice and the Panderer once, both batted with great skill.

Almost as many highlights in three days as the last three Ashes Tests. For me it showed the differences between a decent pitch and roads-puddings and between two good teams v two mediocre teams.

Of course the other difference is that Charnel Nein won't allow matches to finish so early.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 08 Jan 2018, 21:54

Great cricket to watch on a very sporty wicket. Well done to the SAffies.

Bumrah got the ball to leap alarmingly off a length at one end, while the other end produced consistent seam. A bowler's dream of a wicket.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105794
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 09 Jan 2018, 02:00

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Bumrah's bowling well.  Hell all of India's pacers are bowling well- never thought I'd say that.

Still, conditions favour the bowlers.  Given SA's attack, we'll prolly get rolled over for 50 come our turn to bat.

The unexpected rain has turned the match upside down. Elgar's drop is going to prove crucial

It cost SA over one hundred runs.  Pujara said that they can chase down 350 so they have to fancy their chances.

The Aussie attack might be licking their lips here watching how twice SA has succumbed badly to swing bowling.

Faf choosing to bat has meant his side has twice had to bat in very tough conditions.

Good call by Pujara. Red is possibly the only person on the planet that believed him

Didn't you yourself say though that the rain turned the test upside down. Maybe 350 would have been possible had the pitch not sweated under the covers.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17064
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 09 Jan 2018, 02:01

taipan wrote:

And despite saying that the result was never in doubt, you didn't appear until it was all over. Very Happy
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 09 Jan 2018, 03:03

Red wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Didn't you yourself say though that the rain turned the test upside down. Maybe 350 would have been possible had the pitch not sweated under the covers.

But you said the pitch had flattened out. In both Indian innings.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Jan 2018, 04:08

I think the Yarps batted in tougher conditions throughout, but their bowlers were a class above. A most enjoyable match and a better result.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 09 Jan 2018, 04:35

Amazing match. Good to see a pitch that doesn't render bowlers almost impotent.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38009
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 09 Jan 2018, 05:24

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

But you said the pitch had flattened out. In both Indian innings.

It did, but not before most of the damage was done.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Tue 09 Jan 2018, 08:58

furriner wrote:
taipan wrote:
Henry wrote:Panda could be a bit special, as long as he keeps his head and continues to care about test cricket.

That's him farked.

Goddamn.

However I note that Henry spelled the name wrong, so there's hope.

But there's some dude named Panda somewhere who may as well quit the game....
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Jan 2018, 09:03

JGK and Mudge are the two real legends of this forum. Skully is in a different category entirely as Mudge and Mr K are his fault.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 09 Jan 2018, 09:12

horace wrote:JGK and Mudge are the two real legends of this forum. Skully is in a different category entirely as Mudge and Mr K are his fault.

Red is the reverse Mudge. Steyn, Philander and AB were all overrated until she got her hands on them
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Jan 2018, 09:36

Not entering that. All of us who watched it should rejoice at seeing a craftsman at his best.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:06

taipan wrote:
horace wrote:JGK and Mudge are the two real legends of this forum. Skully is in a different category entirely as Mudge and Mr K are his fault.

Red is the reverse Mudge. Steyn, Philander and AB were all overrated until she got her hands on them

IIRC, when Philander made his debut against us at Newlands, I had confidence in him; you didn't!
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:21

Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

IIRC, when Philander made his debut against us at Newlands,  I had confidence in him; you didn't!

IIRC, and I am sure Lardy will as well, after Philander was dropped from the ODI team in 2008, you said he was totally crap and should never pull on a SA shirt again.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:41

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

IIRC, when Philander made his debut against us at Newlands,  I had confidence in him; you didn't!

IIRC, and I am sure Lardy will as well, after Philander was dropped from the ODI team in 2008, you said he was totally crap and should never pull on a SA shirt again.

Two different formats. His fielding in ODIs was rubbish.

Still don't think he should play ODIs and he is rarely selected in that format.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:49

Still can't admit you got it wrong.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 09 Jan 2018, 11:25

furriner wrote:
furriner wrote:
taipan wrote:
Henry wrote:Panda could be a bit special, as long as he keeps his head and continues to care about test cricket.

That's him farked.

Goddamn.

However I note that Henry spelled the name wrong, so there's hope.

But there's some dude named Panda somewhere who may as well quit the game....

they're just about extinct
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26169
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Jan 2018, 11:38

Panderers should be.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 09 Jan 2018, 11:40

Red and Nigel are funny..
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 09 Jan 2018, 11:41

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

It's 9 years ago ... I honestly can't remember which of you was saying he was crap at that time.  I do remember the later 'late seam movement' comment by Red, of course, and your allegations at various stages that he had only got into the SA side because of the quota, allegations I thought were unfair the first time and even more unfair (at the WC when he was preferred to Abbott) the second time they arose.

He's been around a fair while now and I think he's proven repeatedly that he's a very good bowler, better suited to Tests than ODIs, but very good in both.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
116 - 9 - 400 - 4

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38009

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 09 Jan 2018, 11:49

lardbucket wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

It's 9 years ago ... I honestly can't remember which of you was saying he was crap at that time.  I do remember the later 'late seam movement' comment by Red, of course, and your allegations at various stages that he had only got into the SA side because of the quota, allegations I thought were unfair the first time and even more unfair (at the WC when he was preferred to Abbott) the second time they arose.

He's been around a fair while now and I think he's proven repeatedly that he's a very good bowler, better suited to Tests than ODIs, but very good in both.

You might recall Red was saying she had always rated Philander and I bumped a post of hers when she rubbished him when he was dropped from the ODI team. I seem to recall you saying it was one of the best bumps of all time.

I have admitted a number of times that I was incorrect about the test selection, although I had cricket reasons for thinking so at the time. However I still think I was corr ct about the WC semi.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next