Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football WC 2018

+16
Merlin
Blackadder
Red
embee
Nath
Big Dog
WideWally
skully
Fred Nerk
horace
Bradman
lardbucket
JGK
Chivalry Augustus
beamer
taipan
20 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Football WC 2018 - Page 17 Empty Re: Football WC 2018

Post by taipan Mon 16 Jul 2018, 12:53

Bradman wrote:Allons we enfante patrie or some such crap.

Horrie is a dead ringer for Madame Defarge
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 16 Jul 2018, 13:04

Bradman wrote:There arseholes h.  Nuking the pacific, rainbow warrior, losing just about every war they've fought since 1870 and their beer.

Well at least they weren't part of the coalition of the willing. They and Germany did not want the war that is a major reason why we have so many refugees.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17064
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 16 Jul 2018, 13:30

I'm just surprised that the Germans didn't want a war. Obviously the French didn't coz they're totally crap at it.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 16 Jul 2018, 13:33

Bradman wrote:I'm just surprised that the Germans didn't want a war.  Obviously the French didn't coz they're totally crap at it.

After the frogs screwed up SE Asia
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 16 Jul 2018, 13:37

You wanna start marching backwards in time we might hit Hastings.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 16 Jul 2018, 23:00

To the extent Pomgolia has a modicum of civility, we can thank the Romans and the French. Admittedly there were setbacks such as when the Poms chucked stones at the Vikings. I fully expected this Board to support the French at the WC from the outset. Even our Big Cheese is French.

horace
horace

Number of posts : 42563
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 16 Jul 2018, 23:29

Bradman wrote:Allons we enfante patrie or some such crap.

GET IT RIGHT! ,,,

"A long song, fondue, lap, pat REAR!!
Leisure dog war, ate Jewels Reemay ...."
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 17 Jul 2018, 00:06

Have never understood the Pomgolian antipathy towards the French.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 17 Jul 2018, 00:09

Miscellaneous thoughts:

Well played France, not sure if the best, but certainly the most consistent team in the tournament, who got stronger when others (initially more star-studded) waned. A few good players, others competent, and two maybe three outstanding, virtually throughout the competition.

They were dark horses, for me. I expected Belgium - and after their impressive opening match, Croatia (Modric - wow) - to fare well. Germany, Brazil, Argentina - wasn't sure about, though the former especially surprised everyone I suppose with their hapless ineptitude. Especially given their record and reputation for staying power even when their squad is (for them) substandard. Took the place England had held two years ago in the Europeans. Near ridicule. Not sure why they were so dismal. Chatter was of an unhappy camp. Well, maybe it was partly that, and for Loew it was thus perhaps one tournament too many?

Belgium won 6 and lost 1. I was disappointed for them they faded so dismally in the second half of the semi-final. De Bruyne in particular seemed unable to run. Injured? Out of steam after 5 matches? Just passed the ball as soon as he got it. Perhaps the crucial difference of the match - as the two teams had been an almost perfect match-up in skills and vulnerabilities in the first half.

What of England? They did better than expected. I wasn't sure about Southgate's credentials - a bit green, I'd thought. But he at least had the happy knack of welding the squad of decent players together as a unit, it appeared. I'm not sure why Kane was playing in midfield for much of the match v Croatia, but there you go. Was a bit of a timewarp to 2 years ago, that one. Though unlike Woy, Southgate didn't play half the team out of position. It's a fair squad, that might gain confidence from what they achieved in this WC. Looked a bit knackered by the semi, though. Maybe Kane dropping back wasn't by design. Cheers to the goalie. A young star.

Of the final - I was delighted Croatia lost.

Why? At least three cases in the semi of ham-acting diving, rewarded by free kicks by the worst referee in international football I can remember for ages. (One for whom there would be an argument for VAR overruling crass decisions, whether the ref likes it or not. Better still, don't invite that ref again.) I suppose if anyone is reading this, someone is going to say about this paragraph: "Sour Grapes! - because you got beat!". Not really. I'm not saying England were the better team. They (England) did very well in the first half, in closing down their opponents for space - crucial against a skilful passing team like Croatia (esp Modric!), for whom allowing time and space is fatal. But then fell off and awy in the second half. Complacency? Hanging on to what they had? It looked more like fatigue to me. Couldn't raise a gallop. Maybe they marked too energetically in the first half? Or as with De Bruyne possibly, the sixth game took its toll. And then second, the world's worst ref also gave England some bad decisions. So, "sour grapes"? You decide.

No, what I am getting at is I don't like to see a team win through cheating, cynical cheating. By Mandzukic - an incredibly transparent dive, Perisic, and one other whose particualr Itch I can't recall.

So it was fitting that Croatia got duly buried in the final - with a decent ref officiating. Poetic justice that the cheats Mandzukic & Perisic were right at the heart of it. The latter hard done by? Maybe, but karma "came around".

So, well done - doubly well done - the French team. Pogba and Griezmann (lose the dance, man - or at least, reserve it for the cheats) came through like champs, Mbappe was the shooting star.

What else to take from the tournament? Well, maybe th eold order is changing. It could almost have been a Croatia v Belgium final. Which would have been something - neither in a final before, as far as I know.

But maybe with a change of personnel, the Empire(s) will strike back. No, not the British one - or even a Brexit English-only one, despite the rancid delusions - but Germany, Italy, Argentina, Brazil. The usual suspects.

Maybe even an England team better than the country's politics - and in spite of it (nice comment I saw that "maybe we have to get our house a bit better in order before Football is Coming Home ....") - will be on the rise.

Who knows?

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 17 Jul 2018, 00:19

horace wrote:Have never understood the Pomgolian antipathy towards the French.

Are you addressing Merls - or whom are you generalising as "Pomgolian/s"?

Here's a hint:

The bawlers, EDL thugs and UKIP head-the-balls, Brexit howler monkeys and their associates (such as the slumming snob and career chancer-charlatan Mogg) aside ....there's a quite a lot of joshing in it.

See for example Brian "Pitbull" Moore. It used to be wind-up before matches (a bit like yours, when you'r e in a good mood), it's now predictable but still droll tongue-in-cheek shtick. You should see what Brian REALLY gets exercised about ...

An analogy. An innocent casual reader of this forum - not that there are many/any, these days - might still conclude from the exchanges - though not as souped-up as yesteryear - the denizens of Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, NSW and WA pretty much hated the sight and sound of each other.

You have to read and listen a little bit more closely.

I mean, there are pathological types the world over.

But see my flag .... ?

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 17 Jul 2018, 00:59

Love their legal system and relaxed attitude to laws in general, but enough English blood in me to foster irrational hatred.

Plus their sense of superiority and why the fark do they have a permanent seat on the security council, plus the whole nuking the pacfic and their beer.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 17 Jul 2018, 01:49

My my Q, you DO dislike the Froggies, don't you!!
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105795

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 17 Jul 2018, 02:27

Sage from PCS, esp re interstate rivalry in Oz. Of course Mon ???, the French have been vile in the Pacific and se Asia. Interesting tho that New Caledonia does relatively well compared to other Pacific states.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 17 Jul 2018, 02:28

Well I hate the Germans and japs more but I worked for a French company (well a company incorporated in France) for nearly twenty years and the only reasons they had a semblance of an overseas empire is because natives armed with mangos was probably just about weight for age for the chinless wankers.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue 17 Jul 2018, 04:00

Laughing
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105795

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 17 Jul 2018, 07:40

PeterCS wrote:
horace wrote:Have never understood the Pomgolian antipathy towards the French.

Are you addressing Merls - or whom are you generalising as "Pomgolian/s"?

Here's a hint:

The bawlers, EDL thugs and UKIP head-the-balls, Brexit howler monkeys and their associates (such as the slumming snob and career chancer-charlatan Mogg) aside ....there's a quite a lot of joshing in it.

See for example Brian "Pitbull" Moore. It used to be wind-up before matches (a bit like yours, when you'r e in a good mood), it's now predictable but still droll tongue-in-cheek shtick. You should see what Brian REALLY gets exercised about ...

An analogy. An innocent casual reader of this forum - not that there are many/any, these days - might still conclude from the exchanges - though not as souped-up as yesteryear - the denizens of Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, NSW and WA pretty much hated the sight and sound of each other.

You have to read and listen a little bit more closely.

I mean, there are pathological types the world over.

But see my flag .... ?

If I had my way there'd be a line drawn just south of Bundaberg and everything south of it can become NZs West Island.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 17 Jul 2018, 11:37

Rofl@qmy.

The Qbillies are the Princes of Parochialism.

Both Lardy and I served long sentences in that brown bag state. We know the depths of that sorrowful place. Think Joh, Beattie, Rudd, Hanson, Christianson., Palmer. Multiculturalism in The Banjo State means grudging acceptance of people from Rockhampton.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 17 Jul 2018, 12:23

Well the sale yards at gracemere do a good steak sandwich. Rocky's a dump.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 17 Jul 2018, 12:34

Actually we'd annexed the gabba. Sort of like west Berlin. I know people who are expert at using and abusing the native title act.

We tell the gavman it's a sacred site, dead farking easy.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 17 Jul 2018, 22:44

Depends if it was in or outside one of the many curfew based Boundary or Separation Streets.

Btw Rocky is one of the few decent places in Q. Long tradition of progressive activism, tho most of the smart ones get out. Rlcky has its own discenible accent.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 17 Jul 2018, 23:28

First jurisdiction in oz to recognise conscience objection to being drafted. Forget the judges name. Functioning alcoholic from memory.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 18 Jul 2018, 02:59

horace wrote:Depends if it was in or outside one of the many curfew based Boundary or Separation Streets*.

Btw Rocky is one of the few decent places in Q. Long tradition of progressive activism, tho most of the smart ones get out. ** Rlcky has its own discenible accent.

*Hence Seppo St Northcote? And Boundary & Gatehouse Sts Parkville on the edge of Royal Park where Leonski found all his victims

**My HSC English teacher had the same opinion of England. 'Being from England doesn't make you a genius, but the fact that you're not still there probably means you're not a complete twit'

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8790
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 18 Jul 2018, 03:30

Hehehe.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 18 Jul 2018, 08:29

It’s a pity France didn’t defend as well as this in 1940.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 18 Jul 2018, 08:57

Running up the white flag is a default position for them. Obviously football is more important than Alsace or even Paris.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next