Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ICC rankings

+4
Blackadder
horace
skully
whitburn
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ICC rankings Empty ICC rankings

Post by whitburn Mon 07 Jan 2019, 13:47

Nice to see England with a 1-2-3 in the three international formats. Well done NZ also for getting within an inch of second test spot, in fact 2-4 in the tests including Saffs could be covered with a postage stamp. India out front still, Aus slipped somewhat. England being the kings of the 50 overs, have they peaked too early bearing in mind the biggie ahead?

whitburn

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2009-04-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

ICC rankings Empty Re: ICC rankings

Post by skully Tue 08 Jan 2019, 06:15

Meanwhile, Aus is 5-6-4. Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105794
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by whitburn Wed 09 Jan 2019, 06:21

skully wrote:Meanwhile, Aus is 5-6-4. Rolling Eyes

That's got to be the lowest combined rankings for a while Skully?

whitburn

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 09 Jan 2019, 06:42

Lowest combined EVER I think, whit.

I remember seeing a historical graph of Aus's Test ranking and I don't think we were ever lower than 4th (or maybe 5th) (mid 80s). Granted there were only 6 Test teams back then (with the Lankans getting the odd one off Test here and there through the 80s and generally getting smashed).

Similarly, it's hard to imagine us ever being below 5th in ODIs until recently, particularly given we won 4 out of the last 5 World Cups.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by whitburn Fri 11 Jan 2019, 12:27

Aye, but has it been a steady decline in your view for whatever reasons, or is this just a 1 or 2 year blip that even the most famous teams get? Not helped of course by the ball tampering saga.
On which note i still maintain that they got caught where others have not. I don't put the 3 Australians anywhere near the 'should have been hung' category many seem to think apt. Well, not quite but you get my drift. They cheated and they got caught. Cheating happens in many sports including cricket but many never get caught. IMHO the Pakistan team were expert at it for a long time.

whitburn

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 11 Jan 2019, 23:29

The three cheats got pretty much what they deserved. Warner got off lightly.

Sure other countries cheated and OZ were the last to discover the mysteries of reverse swing. The Stannies, Pomgolians and Yarps have long enjoyed mint fresh breath. I don't care much about the lack of penalties meted out by their Boards.

Still the ICC has finally updated their penalties for ball tampering and that is a good thing for the future of the game.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42563
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 11 Jan 2019, 23:33

I think the main thing to take from the entire sandpaper debacle it is that the past two Australian Ashes victories are tainted and are effectively off the record now, meaning we haven't lost since 2007.

Still a few more years until we match the Australian unbeaten stretch but we are over half way there now.

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 11 Jan 2019, 23:35

vilkrang wrote:I think the main thing to take from the entire sandpaper debacle it is that the past two Australian Ashes victories are tainted and are effectively off the record now, meaning we haven't lost since 2007.

Still a few more years until we match the Australian unbeaten stretch but we are over half way there now.

Now that is amusing.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Sun 13 Jan 2019, 00:13

skully wrote:Lowest combined EVER I think, whit.

I remember seeing a historical graph of Aus's Test ranking and I don't think we were ever lower than 4th (or maybe 5th) (mid 80s). Granted there were only 6 Test teams back then (with the Lankans getting the odd one off Test here and there through the 80s and generally getting smashed).

Similarly, it's hard to imagine us ever being below 5th in ODIs until recently, particularly given we won 4 out of the last 5 World Cups.

Aye, was mentioned on Foxy last night that 6th is the lowest Aus ODI ranking.
Another Feather in the cap for James Sutherland and Co.

Blackadder

ICC rankings ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 13 Jan 2019, 00:37

I'm not sure the rankings mean much. Everyone is beating everyone else.......apart from the Windies obviously.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 13 Jan 2019, 01:12

They mean that James Blunderland has left Aus cricket in a dire state. Qunt.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 13 Jan 2019, 01:27

skully wrote:They mean that James Blunderland has left Aus cricket in a dire state. Qunt.

... and left a pile of steaming cbnlg on the doorstep of Oz cricket's future.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by whitburn Sun 13 Jan 2019, 08:05

It's good to know that the 5-0 and 4-0 beatings the Aussies have dished out are no longer on record, as i've been trying to excuse us being total doo-doo in so many Ashes series and finally i have some comfort.
Joking aside what are the feelings here on the next series, i genuinely think it's an away win. Broad and Anderson are past their best for me and i don't see where the wickets will come from and our top order has been utterly hopeless for some time now.

whitburn

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 13 Jan 2019, 09:03

whitburn wrote:It's good to know that the 5-0 and 4-0 beatings the Aussies have dished out are no longer on record, as i've been trying to excuse us being total doo-doo in so many Ashes series and finally i have some comfort.
Joking aside what are the feelings here on the next series, i genuinely think it's an away win. Broad and Anderson are past their best for me and i don't see where the wickets will come from and our top order has been utterly hopeless for some time now.

As John McEnroe used to say...

"You cannot be serious!!!"
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 13 Jan 2019, 09:06

whitburn wrote:It's good to know that the 5-0 and 4-0 beatings the Aussies have dished out are no longer on record, as i've been trying to excuse us being total doo-doo in so many Ashes series and finally i have some comfort.

Don't Australia have the best bowling attack in the world?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by whitburn Sun 13 Jan 2019, 12:26

taipan wrote:

Don't Australia have the best bowling attack in the world?

Well they have 3 genuine quicks Mr T and a spinner who's more likely to make use of any turn out there than say Ali, in my view. 3 young or quite young very quick bowlers against 2 medium pacers who yes have been very good in England for a decade but also very average anywhere else, but the fact is they have both lost pace and are not what they were. It would be interesting to see what the bookies think.

whitburn

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 13 Jan 2019, 12:34

Anderson's strike rate and average are still moving in the right direction, so it's wrong to say that he is past it. Not so sure about Broad, but with a duke ball he will still be a handful.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2019, 16:04

skully wrote:

As John McEnroe used to say...

"You cannot be serious!!!"
Yeah. I tend to be pessimistic about every Ashes series due to years of conditioning to crushing losses but even I can't see Australia as favourites for this one. Wouldn't put it past them to pull off a shock as our top order is aids, but unless Anderson gets injured or Australia find a cunning new way to sneak sand paper on then for the first time ever I think we might actually win this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 13 Jan 2019, 17:51

I am relying on the Pomgolian weather to avoid a clean sweep.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2019, 21:36

horace wrote:I am relying on the Pomgolian weather to avoid a clean sweep.
I think there will never be a clean sweep either way because of the weather. Australia had the best chance in 2001, not sure it will happen again.

I'm going to day 4 at Old Trafford this year, just hope it's not a similar pattern to last year with 3 day tests, although you can usually rely on the Manchester weather to cut out any chance of that!

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 13 Jan 2019, 21:45

I go to England annually to visit my youngest daughter (currently teaching in Essex). I have been doing so for the past 3 years. The 1st year I visited in the English summer and was party to a good chunk of the 3-2 victory to the Poms (including Sturat's 8-15 at Trent Bridge - ugh). I decided late October (mid-term 1 school break) was a better way to go!! Gloating Poms can be tiresome. Cool Very Happy
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 13 Jan 2019, 22:35

skully wrote:I go to England annually to visit my youngest daughter (currently teaching in Essex). I have been doing so for the past 3 years. The 1st year I visited in the English summer and was party to a good chunk of the 3-2 victory to the Poms (including Sturat's 8-15 at Trent Bridge - ugh). I decided late October (mid-term 1 school break) was a better way to go!! Gloating Poms can be tiresome. Cool Very Happy
Mate, if we sweep you, we will only just be getting into our stride after two months.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 13 Jan 2019, 23:11

I'll be gloating to f*ck even if we snatch a 1-0 with the rest of the summer a wash out. Ashes victories are still quite a novelty to me having waited until I was 20 to experience the first one (can't quite remember the victories in the year I was born and when I was 1 year old).

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 14 Jan 2019, 00:42

Fair dos, boys. I reckon it's far more likely that you'll be gloating and not us Aussies.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 14 Jan 2019, 03:26

skully wrote:Fair dos, boys. I reckon it's far more likely that you'll be gloating and not us Aussies.

Agree 100%. Our only gloating will be about the failures of the Marsh kiddies and gcspoc and the number of times cbnlg uses the term "good blokes".
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next