Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

+37
Henry
G.Wood
buckSH
OP Tipping
lardbucket
Big Dog
The One
Anthony_Gonzales
DJ_Smerk
tricycle
Batman
Red
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Basil
Allan D
simkat
horace
Winkle Spinner
PeterCS
doremi
Jontyh
skully
freddled gruntbuggly
Paul Keating
taipan
Bradman
JGK
Big_Bad_Bob
eowyn
tac
Eric Air Emu
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
furriner
PlanetPakistan
Sasha
41 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 13 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by horace Wed 07 Sep 2016, 05:05

Thankfully I have not been asked to do that...what a terrible task!
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42563
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 13 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by Bradman Wed 07 Sep 2016, 05:42

The sex scenes were particularly painful and as the main character was so obviously him, and I known his wife (now ex-wife) longer than him, all I did was say it was obvious it had been written by an emgineer and probably needed a good editor.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 07 Sep 2016, 10:01

Bradman wrote:Anyone ever read a self published book written by a friend and then been asked to critique it?

Several times. Not on a subject as difficult to restrain myself about as that you describe, though.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38009
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 07 Sep 2016, 23:47

Bradman wrote:The sex scenes were particularly painful and as the main character was so obviously him, and I known his wife (now ex-wife) longer than him, all I did was say it was obvious it had been written by an emgineer and probably needed a good editor.

What a hoot!

You should have been a diplomat. The bloke sounds like a stereotypical engineer.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 19 Sep 2016, 19:14

I read a fairish bit but don't recall when a book last got me going enough to come here and mention it. Not sure it it's been mentioned here already.

The Three- Body Problem by Liu Cixin.  Sci Fi Trilogy, translated from the Chinese.  I've read two of the three books so far.

Laborious in parts, and as with most  sci-fi, characterization and dialogue aren't too well written. Slow going at times.

But it's still by far the best Sci Fi series I've read in a decade or more. Amazing descriptions of hard science in action.  The gigantic scale of the 'settings' blew me way. The book has engaging plot twists and also reads very well as just a story.  Cixin has a phenomenal imagination. A very dark view of life as well, which suits me just fine.

I've never really liked Asimov, despite reading a lot of his stuff. I find most Sci Fi gets boring fast and/ or you can predict what's going to happen, as if the writer exhausted themselves describing credible science. But this one was totally worth the read. I can't wait to read the third and last book.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 26 Oct 2016, 04:26

New Rebus out next week.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 03 Nov 2016, 11:04

Yay, just got it.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 05 Nov 2016, 13:50

Top read as always
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 07 Jan 2017, 11:50

Looks interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1785311166/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3UUI1YRTVFRDX&coliid=IQ330664Q9NLV
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Sat 07 Jan 2017, 13:41

Bought it late last year... Started reading before being completely swamped with work. Should get back to it next month or so.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 08 Jan 2017, 11:48

Interesting read. Not much doubt that Boycott was the main problem, but with Illingworth, Close and Trueman also in the mix There were never going to me easy solutions.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sun 08 Jan 2017, 20:27

Just started Mankell's, "The Troubled Man".... had been saving it up for the right time. Have declared this to be the right time.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 10 Jan 2017, 23:52

How's Mankell?

So, that latest Rebus from November.

Only just got down to it around Christmas, steamed through second half this week.

Some thoughts FWTW (as ever). With no spoilers. But STOP if you'd rather not! Very Happy

Blah no spoilers:

Four stars out of five. Maybe 4.5. Would recommend strongly. My own impressions were just personal. Depends what you are looking for.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 05 Apr 2017, 07:19

Am really enjoying David Dyer's 'The Midnight Watch', which is thoroughly researched and covers the Titanic disaster from a fresh angle.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17064
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 05 Apr 2017, 07:58

Red wrote:Am really enjoying David Dyer's 'The Midnight Watch', which is thoroughly researched and covers the Titanic disaster from a fresh angle.

I've had that on my "to read" list since March 2 last year.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 05 Apr 2017, 08:17

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:Am really enjoying David Dyer's 'The Midnight Watch', which is thoroughly researched and covers the Titanic disaster from a fresh angle.

Read it then; you will probably enjoy it. It makes one want to do further research. You realise all the names mentioned are real people.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 05 Apr 2017, 08:32

Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Read it then; you will probably enjoy it.  It makes one want to do further research. You realise all the names mentioned are real people.

Still have to buy it. I would assume they are real people. There is still debate about the last song played by the band.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 05 Apr 2017, 09:11

taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Read it then; you will probably enjoy it.  It makes one want to do further research. You realise all the names mentioned are real people.

Still have to buy it. I would assume they are real people. There is still debate about the last song played by the band.

So it wasn't Status Quo's "Down Down"?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 05 Apr 2017, 09:15

JGK wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Fool. Quo were well past it by 1912.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 05 Apr 2017, 09:16

Anyway, to me the most interesting Titanic story is about Violet Jessop
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 05 Apr 2017, 12:39

I've mentioned this before, but the really cracking twist on Titanic was this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rms-titanic-evidence-fire-senan-molony-belfast-new-york-southampton-sink-april-1912-a7504236.html

Not sure if the prog works internationally: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/titanic-the-new-evidence/on-demand/64665-001

Senan Molony (unusual name) seems to have spent his life "on" Titanic. But despite that and his DM connections, the weight of different sorts of evidence seemed compelling to me. THAT's the book he should write.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 05 Apr 2017, 12:42

taipan wrote:
JGK wrote:
taipan wrote:
Red wrote:
taipan wrote:

Fool. Quo were well past it by 1912.

No, it was definitely The Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO5kEqJdRxA

And I always thought it was just that he was cunning with language.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 05 Apr 2017, 13:36

PeterCS wrote:I've mentioned this before, but the really cracking twist on Titanic was this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/rms-titanic-evidence-fire-senan-molony-belfast-new-york-southampton-sink-april-1912-a7504236.html

Not sure if the prog works internationally: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/titanic-the-new-evidence/on-demand/64665-001

Senan Molony (unusual name) seems to have spent his life "on" Titanic. But despite that and his DM connections, the weight of different sorts of evidence seemed compelling to me. THAT's the book he should write.

Interesting.

In the book, there is a reference to a family by the name of Sage from Peterborough who were off to America to start a new life. The parents and all nine children perished.

The focus in this book, is the role played by the crew of 'The Californian', in not responding to the rockets fired, with emphasis on Stanley Lord the captain and second officer Herbert Stone.

I notice there are also conspiracy theories that it is the Titanic's sister ship Olympic which is actually at the bottom of the sea.

https://theunredacted.com/titanic-conspiracy-the-ship-that-never-sank/
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sat 08 Jul 2017, 17:47

Still reading it, Quite amusing.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25492/25492-h/25492-h.htm

Gutenberg has any number of gems.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 08 Jul 2017, 18:23

furriner wrote:Still reading it, Quite amusing.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25492/25492-h/25492-h.htm

Gutenberg has any number of gems.
And they are cheap
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next