Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

+37
Henry
G.Wood
buckSH
OP Tipping
lardbucket
Big Dog
The One
Anthony_Gonzales
DJ_Smerk
tricycle
Batman
Red
Brass Monkey
LeFromage
Basil
Allan D
simkat
horace
Winkle Spinner
PeterCS
doremi
Jontyh
skully
freddled gruntbuggly
Paul Keating
taipan
Bradman
JGK
Big_Bad_Bob
eowyn
tac
Eric Air Emu
Chivalry Augustus
JKLever
furriner
PlanetPakistan
Sasha
41 posters

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 14 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by JGK Sat 08 Jul 2017, 22:11

furriner wrote:Still reading it, Quite amusing.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/25492/25492-h/25492-h.htm

Gutenberg has any number of gems.

Surely it's not better than his Police Academy work?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

OT:  What book are you reading at the moment? - Page 14 Empty Re: OT: What book are you reading at the moment?

Post by JGK Sat 08 Jul 2017, 22:12

I've just bought "The subtle art of not giving a f*ck".

Hope to read it over the next week while on holidays.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:06

Sequel/prequel to the best spy book ever written.

https://www.amazon.com/Legacy-Spies-John-Carré-ebook/dp/B06XG32NJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1504861521&sr=1-1&keywords=john+le+carre
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:12

Fine writer. Duly added to my list.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42563
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:29

You might have to reread the Spy that Came in from the Cold first.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Fri 08 Sep 2017, 10:33

Always found le Carre to be a bit dry for my taste but i might give it a try.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 08 Sep 2017, 11:02

I am not a fan of his later stuff but as this explains some of the earlier works it is fascinating.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 08 Sep 2017, 11:25

taipan wrote:I am not a fan of his later stuff but as this explains some of the earlier works it is fascinating.

It seemed to me that the more he wrote and, presumably, as it got easier for him to write, the quality of his novels declined.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 09 Sep 2017, 03:48

The Golden Age (set in Perth in the 1950s during the polio epidemic) for work, and oddly a tome relating to the Moorgate Tube disaster, which is fascinating.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17064
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 09 Sep 2017, 05:54

taipan wrote:You might have to reread the Spy that Came in from the Cold first.

Wow. the new book goes back that far. Have read it several times but not for ages. Suspect I still have a copy down the beach.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 09 Sep 2017, 05:58

horace wrote:

Wow. the new book goes back that far. Have read it several times but not for ages. Suspect I still have a copy down the beach.

Basically it's the backstory of the events leading up, but also references characters from Tinker, Tailor etc.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 09 Sep 2017, 06:34

taipan wrote:
horace wrote:

Basically it's the backstory of the events leading up, but also references characters from Tinker, Tailor etc.

Definitely on the Must Read List and tomorrow am I happen to be meeting someone at my favourite bookshop.
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 28 Jan 2018, 04:00

Read The Grade Cricketer.  The sequel isn't available in India yet but I'll pick it up once it gets here,

Pretty good book, but I felt it portrayed Australian grade cricket as a grim, almost joyless landscape for the most part. Perhaps the novel exaggerates the environment of hyper competitive, cliquish misfits who are fast losing any enjoyment they must have once derived from playing the game.

Even if I were good enough to play third or fourth grade, which I'm not and never was, it didn't sound like something I'd want to take on.  English club cricket, briefly contrasted in the novel itself, felt a lot more fun to play.

Perhaps Australian forummers can comment. embee, aren't you an umpire in grade cricket?

Also, folks, I'm not starting on a cricket book reading spree, can someone point me to the relevant thread on FB, apart from this one?
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 28 Jan 2018, 04:11

Have just finished The Woman in the Window by a debut novelist A.J. Finn. It is a psychological thriller with Hitchcockian overtones and there is virtually a catalogue of noir cinema in parallel to the narrative. It's a bit twisty too but he uses conventional literary tropes well.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Fri 23 Feb 2018, 23:56

Ethics? The Gall! wrote:just finished the big aussie thriller cum crime novel everyones raving about.  the dry by jane harper
for once the product justifies the hype.  its a stunner

Good book. Wouldn't call it a 'stunner' but it works.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 24 Feb 2018, 01:31

furriner wrote:
Ethics? The Gall! wrote:just finished the big aussie thriller cum crime novel everyones raving about.  the dry by jane harper
for once the product justifies the hype.  its a stunner

Good book. Wouldn't call it a 'stunner' but it works.

Think it is a bit over-hyped Furriner. I guessed the perpetrator halfway through; it wasn't hard. I read her second novel Force of Nature and it was okay, but certainly not wonderful.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 24 Feb 2018, 01:32

furriner wrote:Read The Grade Cricketer.  The sequel isn't available in India yet but I'll pick it up once it gets here,

Pretty good book, but I felt it portrayed Australian grade cricket as a grim, almost joyless landscape for the most part. Perhaps the novel exaggerates the environment of hyper competitive, cliquish misfits who are fast losing any enjoyment they must have once derived from playing the game.

Even if I were good enough to play third or fourth grade, which I'm not and never was, it didn't sound like something I'd want to take on.  English club cricket, briefly contrasted in the novel itself, felt a lot more fun to play.

Perhaps Australian forummers can comment. embee, aren't you an umpire in grade cricket?

Also, folks, I'm not starting on a cricket book reading spree, can someone point me to the relevant thread on FB, apart from this one?

I have fun in grade cricket 

some of it is boring dull shit ...I dont know about the inner politics of clubs too much but I know which clubs are more likely to be qunts on the field

I stamp out shit sledging and provide positive examples of what they should say
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26169
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 25 Feb 2018, 19:22

embee wrote:
furriner wrote:Read The Grade Cricketer.  The sequel isn't available in India yet but I'll pick it up once it gets here,

some of it is boring dull shit ...I dont know about the inner politics of clubs too much but I know which clubs are more likely to be qunts on the field

Cheers embee.
furriner
furriner

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 26 Feb 2018, 03:14

embee wrote:

You ask them if they went to a good school
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 04 Apr 2018, 14:33

I am reading this. Interesting if you are a rugby follower.

https://www.amazon.com/Into-Wind-Life-Carwyn-James-ebook/dp/B075GZFV1V/ref=sr_1_5?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1522848643&sr=1-5&keywords=Carwyn
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 04 Apr 2018, 16:15

Another book on the Kennedy assassination. For the comedy value.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 24 Jun 2018, 09:53

Interesting read.

https://www.amazon.com/Grade-Cricketer-Dave-Edwards/dp/192212981X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529830300&sr=8-1&keywords=the+grade+cricketer
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 15 Jul 2018, 09:35

Great autobiography from arguably the best tennis writer around.

https://www.amazon.com/Roving-Eye-Reporters-Affair-Politics-ebook/dp/B071G464BY/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1531643539&sr=1-2&keywords=The+roving+eye

New Rebus out in October.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 16 Jul 2018, 11:40

A Mountbatten biography.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Aditya Mon 16 Jul 2018, 12:58

Dick pics for Asians: A helpful guide

Aditya

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2010-12-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next