Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books and Beer

+24
JGK
Lara Lara Laughs
footwork
DJ_Smerk
horace
Jontyh
lardbucket
Growler
G.Wood
Demelza
taipan
eowyn
skully
WideWally
Invader Zim
The One
Bradman
tac
simkat
PeterCS
Zat
JKLever
ten years after
furriner
28 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Books and Beer - Page 3 Empty Re: Books and Beer

Post by eowyn Sun 20 Sep 2009, 17:27

No, you didn't, today might be a good day to stop sucking on the cancer sticks.

Nuke things and people if you have to, not smoking is worth it.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 20 Sep 2009, 17:42

Lifelong habit unfortunately.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 20 Sep 2009, 17:49

Bradman wrote:Lifelong habit unfortunately.

It's tough but someone has to do it.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 20 Sep 2009, 17:53

Very tough. I'm bumming rollies off my stockmen.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 20 Sep 2009, 17:57

Actually I wish ciggies ceased to exist.

I would save a fortune and the non-smokers would really be nailed.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 20 Sep 2009, 18:00

ten years after wrote:

The two sides weren't really very equal. The only doubt over the outcome was whether Britain had the politicl will.

Don't really agree with this - there was only so much hardware Britain could send 8000 miles away.

Let's put it this way - Argentina had more troops & more aircraft and had the dug in position. They had a half decent Navy with subs & a carrier. Their army in some cases actually had better equipment

Your statement JKL overlooks a war which should never be overlooked. The Iran Iraq war was fought out between two evenly matched foes to the extent that it descended into something quite barbaric. There were more than a million deaths on both sides with trench and chemical warfare.

Fair point. Definitely the last major naval engagement between countries that possessed aircraft carriers.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 20 Sep 2009, 18:21

It was actually a close run thing. If the Naval Air Arm hadn't done the business you were looking at a very long and dodgy supply line. The subs helped though. Nice force equaliser if the blue water guys ever admit they're useful.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 20 Sep 2009, 18:23

taipan wrote:Actually I wish ciggies ceased to exist.

I would save a fortune and the non-smokers would really be nailed.

Die happy! The taxes you pay will pay for your treatment.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 20 Sep 2009, 18:52

It's an addiction. And like all other addittions you have to want to give it up to stop.

I've never really understood it, you wouldn't jump into a pool of water and fill your lungs up with water yet despite coughing and spluttering when you will your lungs up with smoke from a cigerette people carry on. Humans are weird.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Demelza Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:32

I've been having a few lately. It's difficult cos he smokes and the problem with cigs is that not only are the chemicals addictive but they're also habitual. They go hand in hand with so many things. Have a cup of tea or coffee, have a cig. Phone call, have a cig. Social drink, have a cig. After a meal, have a cig. When you're stressed, have a cig. And obv, best of all, after sex, have a cig. There's nothing like it, and they do leave such an empty hole when you give up. *COUGH*
Demelza
Demelza

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:35

eowyn wrote:

It's an addiction. And like all other addittions you have to want to give it up to stop.
I've never really understood it, you wouldn't jump into a pool of water and fill your lungs up with water yet despite coughing and spluttering when you will your lungs up with smoke from a cigerette people carry on. Humans are weird.

Sageness

It's surprisingly easy to give up too. All you have to do is stop sticking them in your gob
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:48

So you are off the gaspers?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105778
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Demelza Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:49

I hope you all observed Talk Like a Pirate Day yesterday.

Do you know why they're called Pirates, btw?
Because they arrrrrrrre!
Demelza
Demelza

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 21 Sep 2009, 00:55

skully wrote:So you are off the gaspers?

Aye, almost 2 years
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 21 Sep 2009, 01:11

WIBF.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 21 Sep 2009, 01:13

That's the difference between you and me.

Well me and most people actually
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 21 Sep 2009, 01:52

You significantly overestimate my record.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 21 Sep 2009, 02:10

at least there is a chance
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Mon 21 Sep 2009, 02:28

eowyn wrote:War is people killing each other in very horrific ways, nothing to get excited over. In fact it's incredibly depressing that people you thought were intelligent love it.

What an odd observation - not at all sure how you think anyone is "getting excited" over war ...... I've read nothing at all to suggest that - or that they "love it".

They enjoy reading accounts of it - and probably for a number of reasons. Perhaps to get an idea of the conditions that some of our ancestors had to live through - maybe to wonder at the bravery of the combatants, who knows.

Whatever the reason, thats no reason at all to assume that they're not intelligent simply because you don't like their choice of reading material. The irony of your post is that most people who read war books, myself included - wouldn't argue with your assertion that war is people killing each other in very horrific ways.

Each to their own though - after all, a significant number of people enthuse over the likes of Big Brother, Jeremy Kyle, Tricia and other such bilge as passes for TV these days. Can't understand why ...... personally I'd sooner have my scrotum torn off with rusty cheese wire than watch programmes like that ....
Growler
Growler

Books and Beer - Page 3 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 21 Sep 2009, 02:46

G.Wood wrote:
eowyn wrote:

Sageness

It's surprisingly easy to give up too. All you have to do is stop sticking them in your gob

Christ ex-smokers are the biggest pain in the arse. They've all got the Magdelene complex.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Mon 21 Sep 2009, 03:51

Bradman wrote:
G.Wood wrote:
eowyn wrote:

Sageness

Christ ex-smokers are the biggest pain in the arse. They've all got the Magdelene complex.

Do you realise how much you stink? Its horrific.

I still farking miss it though
G.Wood
G.Wood

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Mon 21 Sep 2009, 03:55

I'm more scared of trying to quit than dying from the bloody things.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by simkat Mon 21 Sep 2009, 06:51

Growler wrote:
eowyn wrote:War is people killing each other in very horrific ways, nothing to get excited over. In fact it's incredibly depressing that people you thought were intelligent love it.

What an odd observation - not at all sure how you think anyone is "getting excited" over war ...... I've read nothing at all to suggest that - or that they "love it".

They enjoy reading accounts of it - and probably for a number of reasons. Perhaps to get an idea of the conditions that some of our ancestors had to live through - maybe to wonder at the bravery of the combatants, who knows.

Whatever the reason, thats no reason at all to assume that they're not intelligent simply because you don't like their choice of reading material. The irony of your post is that most people who read war books, myself included - wouldn't argue with your assertion that war is people killing each other in very horrific ways.

Each to their own though - after all, a significant number of people enthuse over the likes of Big Brother, Jeremy Kyle, Tricia and other such bilge as passes for TV these days. Can't understand why ...... personally I'd sooner have my scrotum torn off with rusty cheese wire than watch programmes like that ....

The first war books I read were Vietnam War novels, when I was about 13 years old. I was really struck by one scene in a novel where a young man had been blown up and he was trying to hold his intestines in, while his mate tried to keep him calm until morphine could be administered. It was certainly horrific and I've never forgotten it. But when you look at the horror of one person lying in a field like that, then consider that horror being replayed over and over again on an epic scale, some people like me for example, are drawn to understanding how they got there and why.

About six or so years ago I picked up a book called Where They Lay (The Search for those who fell in battle and were left behind) by Earl Swift. It chronicled the steps taken by the US Army's Central Identification Lab to identify and recover the remains of US soldiers killed in action in Vietnam (we only had Operation Home which received no govt funding). During one part of the book, the author mentioned that due to the environment and acidity of the soil, the remains in Vietnam were more often than not just fragments unlike those found in World War I and II battle sites.

I decided that when I got the time I wanted to find out more about the people whose lives were sacrificed in war. To do that, I have found that you need to look at the tragedy of war in it's totality. That means reading about foreign policy, politics, the machinery of war, theatres of war, strategy, battles, commanders, leaders, heroes, villains etc until you get to the individual whose holding his guts in on a field somewhere.

I 'enjoyed' Nemesis by Max Hastings, for example, because it was extremely informative and well written. I was appalled and distressed by the detail of the suffering experienced by the soldiers, sailors and airmen, the prisoners of war and the civilians in the occupied countries and the Japanese islands ... but I'm so glad I read the book.

I 'loved' The Great War by Les Carlyon. It was extremely informative, but at the same time beautifully written. Just when you thought you couldn't stand to read another page of horror, another statistic that defied belief, Les would bring it back to an individual who did something, or said something that gave you back a bit of faith in human nature. I was actually so overcome with sadness reading this book, that I spent many sleepless nights just thinking about those who suffered so much and all the families and friends who that lost their sons, brothers and mates. It was definitely something that Les wanted to get across in his book - that these people from so long ago should never be forgotten. I didn't pick up another war book for about 5 months after reading this one.

Other books I've read such as the Third Reich trilogy by Richard Evans were nothing but hard slogs to get through. They answered many questions, but contained barely anything at all to keep your spirit alive while you're reading.

But as with most war books, the more answers you get, the more questions you find yourself asking. So the more you keep reading ... always looking for that missing link that will somehow explain it all. War, on any scale, is nothing to get excited about - it's a human tragedy and a wasteland of unimaginable suffering - but the quest for knowledge and understanding is exciting. Well, that's how I see it anyway. Soz for the long post! What a Face
simkat
simkat

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 21 Sep 2009, 06:59

G.Wood wrote:at least there is a chance
Erm, no there's not.
skully
skully