Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

+33
tricycle
baggygreen
PlanetPakistan
Gary 111
Lara Lara Laughs
Red
LeFromage
Brass Monkey
bodyline
Yorkie Jill
WideWally
G.Wood
Hass
horace
Chivalry Augustus
Bradman
Paul Keating
JKLever
doremi
beamer
DJ_Smerk
Nath
Big Dog
eowyn
Henry
Fred Nerk
lardbucket
embee
skully
taipan
JGK
Zat
PeterCS
37 posters

Page 35 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next

Go down

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis? - Page 35 Empty Re: The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

Post by beamer Sat 14 Jul 2018, 11:12

Red wrote:
beamer wrote:The final will be a walkover unless this second semi goes the distance in the same way (and they will at least get a break overnight if it does).

I can’t imagine any of the under-30s on the circuit having the stomach for a match like that, and that is the reason why no man born in the 90s has yet won a Grand Slam. Maybe tennis’s next big star will be a post-millennial...

Interesting, to consider. It might explain why some of these evergreens continue to enjoy success. The instant gratification generation cannot maintain their concentration for too long.
Still, even the last four here would be officially classed as “lazy, work-shy millennials” according to date of birth... Federer just about makes it into Generation X Wink

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis? - Page 35 Empty Re: The Wimbledon Thread - anyone for tennis?

Post by taipan Sat 14 Jul 2018, 17:28

Explain to me once again why there should be equal prize money for women.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Sat 14 Jul 2018, 23:55

The women are more watchable than the blokes. Of course they should get equal pay.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42563
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sun 15 Jul 2018, 00:30

horace wrote:The women are more watchable than the blokes. Of course they should get equal pay.

Do you include Serena's fat ass in that statement.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 15 Jul 2018, 00:37

Not that surprising Kerber won. She looked sharp throughout, while Serena bullied some ordinary opponents. The depth in women's tennis doesn't seem that great. Some of the combatants looked overweight.

Was pleased to see Novak get through. He looked calm on court yesterday whereas Nadal looked tense and irascible.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17064
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 15 Jul 2018, 01:44

Well done to Kerber. I guess she got Williams at the right time. The champ looked a little ponderous, which I guess was not surprising given she's in the midst of a comeback from the birth of her little girl.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105794

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sun 15 Jul 2018, 03:39

skully wrote:Well done to Kerber. I guess she got Williams at the right time. The champ looked a little ponderous, which I guess was not surprising given she's in the midst of a comeback from the birth of her little girl.

And rising 37, one would expect some decline. Where are the challengers?
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 15 Jul 2018, 04:39

Aye. I reckon Fedex may hit a wall soon too.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 15 Jul 2018, 07:44

Actually some of the posters have a point. If someone in Williams shape can make it to the final what does that say for the rest of the field. Admittedly herself or hubbie wouldn't be out of pocket with $10000(haven't got a clue) a day personal trainers, but someone much younger should have troubled her along the way.

Don't know how many of you have kids but I can still remember ducking ashtrays and reinforcing the gun safe seven months after qjr arrived. So still an amazing effort.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 15 Jul 2018, 10:12

Fed at 37 can't have long left (although Ken Rosewall played two major finals at age 40) but who is staking a serious claim for his crown, besides Rafa and some other callow Serbian youth?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8790
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Sun 15 Jul 2018, 10:54

It’s strange really, we should be enjoying the fact that we’re still watching these legends in their extended prime, but at the same time it’s getting a bit boring, the fact that nobody new of note is coming through, and the sport’s been frozen in time for a decade.

In the next few years they will either tail off gradually leaving a vacuum of power and a load of nonentities winning the big ones, or one or two new stars will emerge suddenly and sweep them away. My money’s on the former, with another three or four years of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic winning whenever they are fit and motivated, but those occasions becoming less frequent over time.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 15 Jul 2018, 23:07

No surprise that the Joker snotted Anderson after the latter's recent marathons. But congrats nonetheless.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 15 Jul 2018, 23:16

Won't surprise many to know that I was in the 'Anyone But Nadal' camp.

That said, am delighted the Djoker won. He's grown on me in recent years and I hope he ends up with more Grand Slams than Nadal. If I'm honest I think he's probably a better player than Federer although Federer remains the most elegant and best to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 15 Jul 2018, 23:43

So Croats have two reasons to drown their sorrows.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 16 Jul 2018, 12:27

vilkrang wrote:Won't surprise many to know that I was in the 'Anyone But Nadal' camp.

That said, am delighted the Djoker won. He's grown on me in recent years and I hope he ends up with more Grand Slams than Nadal. If I'm honest I think he's probably a better player than Federer although Federer remains the most elegant and best to watch.

Am in that club too, have never warmed to Nadal.

Anderson was gallant in the lead-up to the finals but had almost nothing left in the tank. Novak is a prodigious talent who lost his way in the past few years.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 16 Jul 2018, 12:37

Red wrote:
vilkrang wrote:Won't surprise many to know that I was in the 'Anyone But Nadal' camp.

Am in that club too, have never warmed to Nadal.

Anderson was gallant in the lead-up to the finals but had almost nothing left in the tank.  Novak is a prodigious talent who lost his way in the past few years.

He was injured
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 09 Aug 2018, 14:06

We get the US open Soon?
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 14 Aug 2018, 15:46

https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/baby-bjorn-baby-bjorn-leo-borg-son-of-tennis-legend-bjorn-borg-wins-swedish-under17-champs/news-story/3523330de2dc832f2688b56a773974c9

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 14 Aug 2018, 20:39

JGK wrote:https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/baby-bjorn-baby-bjorn-leo-borg-son-of-tennis-legend-bjorn-borg-wins-swedish-under17-champs/news-story/3523330de2dc832f2688b56a773974c9
Tennis rarely seems to do family dynasties, unlike cricket and, probably most commonly of all, F1 (the money helps there!)

I’m fully expecting the next Federer generation to dominate the men’s, women’s and all doubles combinations in time though Wink

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 14 Aug 2018, 20:42

beamer wrote:
JGK wrote:https://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/baby-bjorn-baby-bjorn-leo-borg-son-of-tennis-legend-bjorn-borg-wins-swedish-under17-champs/news-story/3523330de2dc832f2688b56a773974c9
Tennis rarely seems to do family dynasties, unlike cricket and, probably most commonly of all, F1 (the money helps there!)

I’m fully expecting the next Federer generation to dominate the men’s, women’s and all doubles combinations in time though Wink

Is there any second generation Grand Slam winner?

taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 14 Aug 2018, 20:53

taipan wrote:
beamer wrote:

It certainly wouldn’t appear so, at senior singles level anyway. Sandon Stolle won a doubles Slam title and Sebastian Korda has recently won a junior singles title, they seem like the closest examples.

According to the International Tennis Federation, only four father-and-son pairs have cracked the top 100 in the Open Era, which dates to 1968: Fred and Sandon Stolle, Phil and Taylor Dent, Leif and Joachim Johansson, and Christophe and Edouard Roger-Vasselin. None of the women in the current top 100 had mothers who reached the same threshold, according to the Women’s Tennis Association.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 14 Aug 2018, 20:57

beamer wrote:
taipan wrote:
beamer wrote:

It certainly wouldn’t appear so, at senior singles level anyway. Sandon Stolle won a doubles Slam title and Sebastian Korda has recently won a junior singles title, they seem like the closest examples.

According to the International Tennis Federation, only four father-and-son pairs have cracked the top 100 in the Open Era, which dates to 1968: Fred and Sandon Stolle, Phil and Taylor Dent, Leif and Joachim Johansson, and Christophe and Edouard Roger-Vasselin. None of the women in the current top 100 had mothers who reached the same threshold, according to the Women’s Tennis Association.

Aye, the only one I could find was Sandon Stolle.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue 14 Aug 2018, 21:03

I suspect it’s a sport that most parents who have experienced it themselves wouldn’t wish on their own children, at professional level. Such a commitment required from an early age, to make it to the very top.

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sun 21 Apr 2019, 12:45

The Aussie ladies are into the Federation Cup final for the first time in 26 years!

Ash Barty must be close to Australia's most admirable sportsperson at the moment.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 21 Apr 2019, 12:59

Yep! Even if the bar wasn't so low ATM. Amazing athlete.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 41 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 41  Next