Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

5 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) Empty "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:06

It's still a bit too early for this quiz - a cryptic remark that you'll crack sooner or later, if you have a go - but hey ho. Timing, always difficult ...

> I've deliberately constructed the quiz such that* you can either:

a) take the time & bother to websearch & track down answers; or else:

b) use your knowledge/experience, skill & judgment, and/or "guesstimate" answers on the basis of the copious evidence - mainly pictorial - given.
(You'll see what that means in practice when we come to the questions.)

> Some of the questions are fairly simple (e.g. famous players, common images); others are tougher, more abstruse.

> Please answer as much or little as you wish* - if you find any question too hard/easy, time-consuming, frustrating, just pass on, see what you can do with the others!

Even though an image in one question may offer visual clues to solving another question: every question, easy or hard, stands on its own. Hit as many coconuts as you can - or as few.

HINT: If a question seems hard - let's take e.g. identifying a player - look for visual clues in the image, and/or from other images in the quiz:
Check facial build, height & physique, whether right/left-handed, etc. ~ Remember also that the four or five team pictures in the course of the quiz offer a ready stock of mugshots for individual player ID questions.

> The quiz comprises 22 questions - yes, 22! - & after that,there's an "S" set of 10 further questions, for anyone foolhar... errr, I mean, anyone still with enough appetite for afters.

> Apologies that the (reproduction) quality of some of the images is poor. You'll soon understand why. ...

> Errors are all my own. Apologies in advance for any made. I've checked facts & figures as closely as I (reasonably) can - given this is just an amateur voluntary effort, & on a sparsely populated forum. ~ It's not funded by government (or any other) money, only by my own time. It took a lot of time: but then, these things are potentially endless.

> *LAST BUT BY NO MEANS LEAST* :
> PLEASE PUT ANY ANSWERS YOU GIVE UNDER A SPOILER COWL.
You never know - it's possible someone else will want to have a crack at the questions before seeing your answers.

> ANSWERS: I may open a separate thread for these, and stick them all under SPOILER cowls. It might be tidier that way. We'll see.

Good luck, anyone still reading this, I hope you enjoy at least some of it.

I found it an education. Not a trial. I hope you find the same.

No prizes, sadly.

(PS: I'll include a list of sources at the end, for anyone who wishes to follow up any particular line of interest to them. Or just: for further reading.)

* - that is, obviously, if you want to tackle any part of it ... Wink"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 01_q010

Last edited by PeterCS on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:11; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by skully Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:09

Nice work, Peter. Interested to see the questions.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105794
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:12

1) Two team photos, taken before the same match.

Team photo A (above) shows a squad of 16 players;
Team photo B (below) only 12 players.

a) How would you account for that difference in numbers?
b) Before which match?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 02_q0110
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:15

For Q2 & subsequent questions, I'd suggest this quick-reference system to locate individuals in the team photos:

(If there are TWO team photos:) "A" = above photo; OR: "B" = photo below
+
"back", "middle" or "front" (... row, as we see them)
+
[a number: 1, 2, 3, ...] (numbering conventionally from left to right).

e.g.:
"B back3":
=> *lower photograph*, the person *back row*, *3rd from left*.

"front6":
= > (single team photo), the person *front row*, *6th from left*

... Of course, use a different, "longhand" system if you want!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:19

2) An eccentric early twist to this quiz ...
(if you prefer the more conventional questions, just move on to Q3) etc.!)

a) Locate in the photos above, & name:

One colonel, & two cricket-unrelated captains!

b) Can you name "A back4"? (= the gent not decked out in cricket togs!)

(Bonus point?Smile

c) Can you name who 3 months later became b)'s exact counterpart in the opposing team? (He's not pictured!)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:20

3) Can you:

a) locate & name the two oldest players in Squad A?
b) (ditto), in Team B?

(You can obviously websearch for exact answers, or guesstimate on the basis of knowledge and/or appearance.)
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:20

4)

a) How many in Squad A were less than 30 years old at the beginning of the series?
b) (ditto), of Team B?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:21

5) What did these two chaps have to do with the series in question?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 03_q0510
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:24

6) The whole undertaking began ominously for Squad A.

a) Name this ship?

b) Can you point out at least one thing that went wrong for Squad A in connection with a)?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 04_q0610

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:28

7) Oh, NO - not again?!?! ...

a) What the hell's happening here?
b) Location?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 05_q0710

c) What are the guys in the last of the pics below doing with their precious time?

(Bonus points for any successful player IDs ... remember: you check back to Q1 if it helps!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 06_q0710
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:31

8.) Who the hell is practising for the series here - with that strange right-leg kick?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 06_q0811

Last edited by PeterCS on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:38; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:34

9)

a) Who are these two guys?
b) What's the occasion?
c) Location?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 07_q0910

CLUE ...:
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:36

10)

a) Who's this dashing young Test debutant?
b) How old was he at the time of his 1st Test?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 09_q1011
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:44

11) Three significant moments here, in three successive Tests.

a) What's the (two-part) common factor? (one part of the common factor is very visible, the other not)
b) Can you name the three unhappy batsmen? (NB: apologies for picture quality - use visual clues!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 10_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 11_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 12_q1110
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:47

12)

a) What's going on here?
b) Who are the two players in the centre of the action?
c) What relation was the cartoonist to the bowler?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 13_q1211

Last edited by PeterCS on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:54; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:49

13) In the 2nd Test of the series:

a) Who's the batsman living up to his nickname here?
b) Which normally safe pair of hands is in this instance the "oaf" at 3rd slip?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 14_q1311

Last edited by PeterCS on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:55; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:50

14)

a) Name these two coming out to bat, after lunch on Day 2 of the same Test.
b) Why do they look so pleased? (Be as exact as you can!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 15_q1411

Last edited by PeterCS on Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:54; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:53

15) Third Test. "And ... GOT 'IM! - NO!! ANOTHER SITTER GOES DOWN at 3rd slip!"

a) What Oval favourite is muffing this snick, off a leading all-rounder?
b) How did that spill prove particularly significant?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 16_q1510
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 00:58

16) Two Tests after Q1, and if you look, "Team B" (Q1) has changed two of its players.

a) Locate (use same team photo ref. system? - e.g. "Back5", "Front2") and name those two new men?
b) Can you name the two men (from Q1) they replaced?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 17_q1610
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 01:00

17) Only ONE member of "Team B"'s total 16 selections in this series - either to play or be 12th man - took no part in the return series immediately following it.

a) Can you name the unlucky man?
b) What was his (main) profession?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 18_q1710
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 01:03

18) Here is the XII chosen from "Squad A" of Q1 to play a regional match at the very end of the tour.

a) Location (city) where the photo was taken?
b) What dubious Test distinction do the team members located at "back1" & "front2" share?
c) How did the player at "back2" just pip them both, in that same respect?

Bonus:
d) What did all three of the above have in common with "front1"?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 19_q1810
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 01:04

19)

a) Who's the dynamic slip catcher adroitly snapping up these two in the 5th Test?

b) Three bonus points for identifying the two batsmen (note: compare their respective statures!), and the keeper.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) 20_q1910
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 01:05

20) How many (Test) debutants did the home side field in the 1st Test of this series?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 01:06

21) Who took the most wickets in the series:

a) for the home side?
b) for the visitors?

Bonus point each for the total number of wickets each of these bowlers took.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 22 Apr 2020, 01:06

22) What was unprecedented about the outcome of the series?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next