Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

5 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 15:48

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:13) In the 2nd Test of the series:

a) Who's the batsman living up to his nickname here?
b) Which normally safe pair of hands is in this instance the "oaf" at 3rd slip?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 14_q1311
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q13):

Last edited by PeterCS on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 15:55; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 Empty Re: "Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...)

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 15:54

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:14)

a) Name these two coming out to bat, after lunch on Day 2 of the same Test.
b) Why do they look so pleased? (Be as exact as you can!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 15_q1411
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q14):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 16:05

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:15) Third Test. "And ... GOT 'IM! - NO!! ANOTHER SITTER GOES DOWN at 3rd slip!"

a) What Oval favourite is muffing this snick, off a leading all-rounder?
b) How did that spill prove particularly significant?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 16_q1510
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q15):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 16:17

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:16) Two Tests after Q1, and if you look, "Team B" (Q1) has changed two of its players.

a) Locate (use same team photo ref. system? - e.g. "Back5", "Front2") and name those two new men?
b) Can you name the two men (from Q1) they replaced?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 17_q1610
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q16):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 16:35

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:17) Only ONE member of "Team B"'s total 16 selections in this series - either to play or be 12th man - took no part in the return series immediately following it.

a) Can you name the unlucky man?
b) What was his (main) profession?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 18_q1710
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q17):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 16:42

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:18) Here is the XII chosen from "Squad A" of Q1 to play a regional match at the very end of the tour.

a) Location (city) where the photo was taken?
b) What dubious Test distinction do the team members located at "back1" & "front2" share?
c) How did the player at "back2" just pip them both, in that same respect?

Bonus:
d) What did all three of the above have in common with "front1"?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 19_q1810
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q18):

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 16:52

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:19)

a) Who's the dynamic slip catcher adroitly snapping up these two in the 5th Test?

b) Three bonus points for identifying the two batsmen (note: compare their respective statures!), and the keeper.

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 20_q1910
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q19):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 16:58

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:20) How many (Test) debutants did the home side field in the 1st Test of this series?

Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q20):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 17:05

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:21) Who took the most wickets in the series:

a) for the home side?
b) for the visitors?

Bonus point each for the total number of wickets each of these bowlers took.
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q21):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 17:21

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:22) What was unprecedented about the outcome of the series?

Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answer to Q22):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 17:47

PeterCS wrote:Picking up with the bare-bones feedback/answers. (Feedback on Skully's answers to QQ 1 & 2 can be found above, on page2) ...

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:3) Can you:

a) locate & name the two oldest players in Squad A?
b) (ditto), in Team B?

(You can obviously websearch for exact answers, or guesstimate on the basis of knowledge and/or appearance.)
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q3):

CORRECTION TO MY CORRECTION - (!)

Since edits to this Forum are goddamn time-limited ...

... and herewith the third apology on my part (who'd set a big, elaborate quiz on a small forum??) ....

Skully is in fact right on both names, for both teams. (I confused myself: confusing "team" with "squad" from a different question is how that occurred.)

So all that needs correcting in Q3 - or rather adding -  is the "locating" of each of those named four players in the two respective team pictures.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 17:56

I'm going doo-lally at this stage.

So I'll have to try again tomorrow with the Supplementary 10 questions.

(Why has someone "disliked" the guy or the question S1), by the way? I might have deserved it, but that bowler certainly didn't deserve the cold snub! Very Happy )

AND SO AS PROMISED (here for the main 22 questions - supplementaries to follow, tomorrow possibly):

An inventory of the questions still to be answered (correctly, or at all).

Q2, part a):
After two attempts, we've had the colonel, and one of the two cricket-unrelated captains.
Q2(a), so far answered:

Hence one non-cricket "capt" to be found:

Clue was: who else looks to have "a captain's bearing" in Q1), lower team? (I don't mean the "Big Ship", who there looks more like a bloody whale, or mastodon!) - Think "AIF" ....

Q3:
Can you locate in the team photos of Q1 the four players Skully correctly named as the four oldest (= two on each team)? I'd suggest using the quick-reference system suggested near the top of the thread, but as you wish!

The four oldest players on view in 2 team photos = Q1:

Q4: Optional supplementary question (for Skully only?):
So who IS the 12th Man in Australia's lineup for the 1st Test @ the SCG? (see Q1 again)

Inventory to be continued in next post > > >
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:07

Q7: Parts a) and b) - fully answered by Skully.

But - additional to original question a) - anyone want to have a shot at player IDs there too?

Part c) still needs answering. I'll repost the whole of Q7 (it's of a piece), and then repeat the hints I gave in response to Skully's answer, together with the question also in c) about possible player IDs:

PeterCS wrote:7) Oh, NO - not again?!?! ...

a) What the hell's happening here?
b) Location?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 05_q0710

c) What are the guys in the last of the pics below doing with their precious time?

(Bonus points for any successful player IDs ... remember: check back to Q1 if it helps!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 06_q0710

//////////

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q7 - with hints to solution of part c), etc.:

Last edited by PeterCS on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:38; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:13

Batsman (dismayed) in middle picture of Q11 b) still needs correctly answering. See hints in the Feedback I offered Skully:

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:11) Three significant moments here, in three successive Tests.

a) What's the (two-part) common factor? (one part of the common factor is very visible, the other not)
b) Can you name the three unhappy batsmen? (NB: apologies for picture quality - use visual clues!)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 10_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 11_q1111
"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 12_q1110
Spoiler:

//////////
Feedback on Skully's answers to Q11):

PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:19

QQ 13 & 14 still need answering, Q13 in toto, Q14 as regards one of the two players, and the significance of their cooperation.

So here they are again
- complete with Skully's answers, if you want to check your surmises against his. Again, with hints added in the Feedbacks I gave Skulls:

PeterCS wrote:
skully wrote:

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 14_q1311
Spoiler:

////////
Feedback on Skully's answers to Q13):

PeterCS wrote:
skully wrote:

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 15_q1411
Spoiler:

////////
Feedback on Skully's answers to Q14):

Last edited by PeterCS on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:39; edited 1 time in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:22

(Inventory, continued ... one more post/question to follow after this, to complete the Inventory of incomplete QQ1) - 22))

Q15 a) dealt with - but 15b): can you continue Skully's approximate lines to a fuller solution? - see again the Feedback at the bottom!

PeterCS wrote:
skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:15) Third Test. "And ... GOT 'IM! - NO!! ANOTHER SITTER GOES DOWN at 3rd slip!"

a) What Oval favourite is muffing this snick, off a leading all-rounder?
b) How did that spill prove particularly significant?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 16_q1510
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q15):

Last edited by PeterCS on Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:35; edited 2 times in total
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 23 Apr 2020, 18:32

Last item of the "Inventory" (of so far unanswered/incorrectly answered questions)

Supplementary Inventory (of incomplete QQ S1)-10) will be supplied once I've got round to fielding Skully's responses to those 10 questions! But, that will be "not tonight, Josephine" ...

One half of 16 a) and one half of 16 b) still awaiting a correct response.
skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:16) Two Tests after Q1, and if you look, "Team B" (Q1) has changed two of its players.

a) Locate (use same team photo ref. system? - e.g. "Back5", "Front2") and name those two new men?
b) Can you name the two men (from Q1) they replaced?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 17_q1610
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answers to Q16):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Fri 24 Apr 2020, 00:03

I'm away for the weekend so will have to try to fill the gaps next week.

Please help. Anyone?
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105844
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 24 Apr 2020, 08:32

Spoiler:

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Fri 24 Apr 2020, 08:41

Spoiler:

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 16:47

So, let's see. I'll field:

i) Mr K's two new answers,
then if time allows:
ii) Skullly's answers to the "S" questions (1-10),
and - when even more time allows -
iii) do a quick (but full) summary of outstanding items, from both the main quiz (1-22) and the "S" questions.

JGK wrote:

Spoiler:

Feedback on JGK's answers to Q13::
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 17:21

JGK wrote:

Spoiler:

Feedback on JGK's answers to Q14):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 17:33

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:Supplementary set of questions (if anyone is still game):

S1) By virtually universal consensus of the cricket journalists of the day (among them Clem Hill & Charlie Turner), this was the unluckiest bowler of the series.

Can you name him?

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 B01_q010
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answer to S1):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 17:39

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S2) The home team's leading wicket taker in the series played in the 2nd Test.

But did not bowl a single delivery.

Why not?

(There's one answer that by now may be obvious! But there's also a deeper reason.)
Spoiler:

Feedback on Skully's answer/s to S2):
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Fri 24 Apr 2020, 18:02

skully wrote:
PeterCS wrote:S3) Still outstanding at the time of the series, and to this day regarded as one of his country's best ever, this batsman (the picture is from a few years earlier) played only in the 1st and 5th Tests of the series.

Why? (He wasn't injured - or considered too old.)

"Series C" - a Big Quiz. (with a long intro/explanation: bear with me ...) - Page 5 B02_q010
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PeterCS
PeterCS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next