Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sacked!

+12
THICKEDGE
Henry Nolonga
Brass Monkey
taipan
eowyn
horace
holcs
JGK
JKLever
Merlin
LeFromage
Lara Lara Laughs
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Sacked! - Page 3 Empty Re: Sacked!

Post by Merlin Thu 22 Nov 2007, 23:33

What are you listening to?
innocent

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Fri 23 Nov 2007, 10:09

doctorspin wrote:
Dello wrote:
doctorspin wrote:
JKLever wrote:Doc, do your patients know you have anger management issues? Wink

Just can't stand incompetence and self-centered glibness.

I'm doing my best. It's not easy running a cricket forum.

I'd post a smiley if this freekin forum worked properly with Opera!

Works fine on Opera for me. afro
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:04

Henry Nolonga wrote:I'm at work at the moment so i can't see, but is that the one where the Doc says something about their children dating a black person?

Yeah.Very Happy
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:10

Dello wrote:You can't polish a turd, though.

I knew England would lose once I saw the pitch was a bit muddy.

The paucity of even basic technical ability among English players is so depressing it's almost funny. How can you possibly be in a job where you earn 50 grand a week yet unable to manage the simplest things that, in this case, guys earning less than 50 grand a year were able to achieve effortlessly?

Croatia adapted to the marginally tricky playing conditions with ease.

England looked like they were playing with a hand grenade.

And if you've seen the under 21s lately, you'll know that there's nothing coming through the system that's any cause for hope.

It's not like English people are genetically incapable of being technically excellent footballers, it just that technique doesn't appear to be a much valued attribute among those who teach and develop kids in this country.

Even today, watching Sky Sports News, hardly any of the disgruntled fans and 'experts' have mentioned it - they're still banging on about "passion" and "heart" as if the finer nuances of winning football can all be barged aside in an orgy of "up and at them" chest-beating and simply trying harder.

As usual, as the world has moved on and developed, England are still stuck with their heads up their collective arses, sticking to good old plan A, drawn up in 1888.

There are some in the press that have a clue. This is one of the best articles I've read in a long time. Should be expected when it's written by Martin Samuels, a Lampard supporter and allround legend at The Times along with the other dream team columnist - Simon Barnes.

Read it, you won't be disappointed. Though, like him, I disagree with you that there aren't technically excellent English players. It's the way that they play that's the big problem. I think people often confuse technique and playing style.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article2926251.ece
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:22

Sh1t, i'll tell you what, i'd be sh1tting myself if I earn't in excess of 40k a week.

Fair enough at Grass roots level, but these guys play day in day out, earn stupid amounts of money, and at the end of the day they can't trap a ball, or string 4 passes together.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:26

Great article.

If his successor talks of getting back to what English players do best — high tempo, hustle and bustle, up and at ’em, big man up front — we will not have learnt from this humiliation. The rest of the world has seen English high tempo for more than four decades. Seen it, dealt with it, stuffed it. Next.

Absoflockinglutely
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:27

Bring back Sven?

Steve

Number of posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:29

Phurt and double phurt. If England had played some smash-mouth Championship/Div 1 players and tactics we'd have drawn 1-1.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:31

holcs wrote:Sh1t, i'll tell you what, i'd be sh1tting myself if I earn't in excess of 40k a week.

Fair enough at Grass roots level, but these guys play day in day out, earn stupid amounts of money, and at the end of the day they can't trap a ball, or string 4 passes together.

yet its the youth coaching that needs to be looked at, theres fark all that can be done for this generation.

If I was a youth coach, I'd be farking embarrased by the standard of player this country produces.
There will always be exceptions and a fair number of the england team are technically gifted. Yet we then play the like of Campbell & Lescott at the back who cant pass the ball.

A lot of the english coaches should be thinking about why clubs go for foreign managers. Simple, because they're still playing prehistoric football.

Yes, i'm talking about the likes of you Sam Allardyce & Neil Warnock
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:31

And:

Steve McClaren met his Waterloo earlier and, yes, at times he compounded English weaknesses with some of his own — not introducing Owen Hargreaves immediately with the score at 2-2 on Wednesday was his final, gigantic error — but the faults will not be eradicated by the swift issue yesterday morning of his P45. There is a crisis of confidence within our game that begins in youth football with panicked yelps to lump the ball out of trouble rather than play it away and continues all the way up the ladder until it manifests itself in a national side who, if they concede one goal, immediately compound their problem by letting in a second.

and,

Brooking talks up his skills programme, but there is little point in teaching a ten-year-old the Cruyff turn if he is expected to put it into practice on a full-sized pitch with his coach screaming at him to clear his lines. The whole process requires reform, not one executive aspect of it.

and definitely,

The build-up to this game brought talk of quotas for foreign players, but how is that the answer? A league stuffed with second-rate Englishmen by bureaucratic decree will not benefit the national team. The rot sets in — as Sir Trevor Brooking, the FA’s director of football development, has identified, without doing a whole lot about it — in youth football, which is increasingly ruled by fear, too.

Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:35

**Lara in opinions formed solely by reading t'interweb shock**
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:36

he'd be right though...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:37

JKLever wrote:
holcs wrote:Sh1t, i'll tell you what, i'd be sh1tting myself if I earn't in excess of 40k a week.

yet its the youth coaching that needs to be looked at, theres fark all that can be done for this generation.

If I was a youth coach, I'd be farking embarrased by the standard of player this country produces.
There will always be exceptions and a fair number of the england team are technically gifted. Yet we then play the like of Campbell & Lescott at the back who cant pass the ball.

A lot of the english coaches should be thinking about why clubs go for foreign managers. Simple, because they're still playing prehistoric football.

Yes, i'm talking about the likes of you Sam Allardyce & Neil Warnock

I don't think Campbell can be blamed. He was probably our best defender, though that's not saying much. I don't think he has to be able to pass it out of defence when he does everything else a defender needs so well, or at least used to. Neither can Lescott really. The manager didn't have many other options. I'd have played Micah at the back but it doesn't change the fact that Rio is our only Italian style, cultured defender (his problem is his sporadic brain failures - though they are much less frequent nowadays since he's learned from class act Vidic).
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:39

Batfink Begins wrote:**Lara in opinions formed solely by reading t'interweb shock**

Or simply he's put what I think, better than I could, so I posted it.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:40

I'm not blaming Campbell, just giving an example of our problems.
If you can't keep the ball under pressure, you're fooked.

I tell you if I had a kid and he was looking like he had potential and if I had the cash i'd send him overseas and not let him anywhere near our system.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:43

Yeah, like that's going to happen. You've got Scottish genes...Wink
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:47

Meh!
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:47

The Scots payed a damn sight better than we did, dispite their poorer resourses and smaller numbers.
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:52

Another good Martin Samuel article
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article2910642.ece

In most counties, seven-a-side mini-soccer ends in the final year of junior school, at which point the under11 age group converts to football as it is played by grown-ups. Team numbers are the same and, most importantly, so are pitch measurements. As in discount clothing stores, one size fits all. The reason English football has a tradition of brick outhouse central defenders who cannot pass and perpetual motion machines in midfield without an ounce of the class of Cesc Fàbregas is because our youth football is geared to little else.

and....

I have another lad playing under12 football. This season a new team joined his competition. Massive kids, lots of attitude. I had them marked down as the league winners before a ball was kicked and after seven games they are two points clear. It is a power game for the preteens. And then, later in life, when everybody can wallop the ball a long way and chase it down, the sport becomes skill-based once more, except by that time we are lagging behind as a nation because we have focused all our efforts on the art of a panic-stricken clearance into touch to release the pressure.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:55

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:
Batfink Begins wrote:**Lara in opinions formed solely by reading t'interweb shock**

Or simply he's put what I think, better than I could, so I posted it.

Oh, and you'll find that I posted the article in response to Dello's complaint that all of the media had got the wrong end of the stick. JK then picked a highlight and posted it so I picked a few more.

I've had you down as a twattish no life for a long time but I didn't realise you were utterly stupid too.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 13:57

eowyn wrote:The Scots payed a damn sight better than we did, dispite their poorer resourses and smaller numbers.

It's true, though they play in the British style too and have managed to get all of their success playing a guts and heart game (most of the time with 5 in midfield).

They're a strange anomaly.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 23 Nov 2007, 14:00

Personally, I'm not particularly sure how anyone could've been happy with a backline of Bridge, Lescott, (an old)Campbell and Richards. Them, along with Barry(when on), Gerrard and Lampard were told to pick up the runners zonally with the back lot told to hold a tight line.

All well and good but the fact was when the game spread, there was no-one with direct responsibilty to each Hrvatskan flooding forward and the defence were totally inept at stepping up a) in unison and b) with any forethought anyway. It led to incisions all over the shop, from their anchor man to nigh on the edge of the area, from the runner to right on the wrong side of the full-backs, no-one picking up the spare or inexplicably two spare men their forwardline had created.

It was just incredibly naive. Especially from the likes of Campbell and Gerrard who should've basically ignored those tactics. Campbell's forte has always been the ability to step up early and get something on the challenge/in the way with his telescopic legs and Gerrard's always been decent at tracking back and using his strength to break up play.

McClaren simply didn't utilise players who excel at a similar level week in week out.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Fri 23 Nov 2007, 14:00

JKLever wrote:Another good Martin Samuel article
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/columnists/martin_samuel/article2910642.ece

In most counties, seven-a-side mini-soccer ends in the final year of junior school, at which point the under11 age group converts to football as it is played by grown-ups. Team numbers are the same and, most importantly, so are pitch measurements. As in discount clothing stores, one size fits all. The reason English football has a tradition of brick outhouse central defenders who cannot pass and perpetual motion machines in midfield without an ounce of the class of Cesc Fàbregas is because our youth football is geared to little else.

and....

I have another lad playing under12 football. This season a new team joined his competition. Massive kids, lots of attitude. I had them marked down as the league winners before a ball was kicked and after seven games they are two points clear. It is a power game for the preteens. And then, later in life, when everybody can wallop the ball a long way and chase it down, the sport becomes skill-based once more, except by that time we are lagging behind as a nation because we have focused all our efforts on the art of a panic-stricken clearance into touch to release the pressure.

Very Happy!

That article's brilliant. I wondered where he was going for the first few paragraphs but he makes his point well! That is what it's like playing as a 10 year old!
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 23 Nov 2007, 14:02

Oh, and the kids I coached a couple of years back were generally technically very good, including the girls. I reckon we could be the downfall of our own unique style of play.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 23 Nov 2007, 14:07

Batfink Begins wrote:Oh, and the kids I coached a couple of years back were generally technically very good, including the girls. I reckon we could be the downfall of our own unique style of play.

The most succesful English club side from the early 70's to the late 1990's was Liverpool.

Why?

Because they passed the ball better than anyone else in the country and still did it at a high tempo.

I don't see that by wanting our kids to have better technical skills by the time they are 16 means we wont have a high paced game.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next