Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Scyld Berry really Trev ?

+7
PeterCS
taipan
G.Wood
beamer
lardbucket
skully
embee
11 posters

Go down

Is Scyld Berry really Trev ? Empty Is Scyld Berry really Trev ?

Post by embee Thu 15 Aug 2013, 03:03

Apologies if this is NTR ...

Usman Khawaja has been dragged into the centre of a controversy over race after comments by a leading English cricket writer sparked a furore online.
English cricket writer Scyld Berry was condemned by some readers after referring to Khawaja's Asian heritage in a report filed after Australia's defeat in the fourth Test.
Khawaja is fighting for his place in the Australian team after a lean series with the bat.

"Usman Khawaja will be roasted for the limp defensive prod that he aimed at Graeme Swann when Australia were 147 for one. He could well be replaced in the Oval Test by Phil Hughes and Australia's experiment with their Asian immigrant population will be shelved,” Berry wrote in London's Daily Telegraph newspaper.
Berry's comment was branded as “totally disgusting”, “idiotic” and “disgraceful” by some readers. The line referring to the Asian immigrant population was removed from the Telegraph's website.
Berry has since defended his stance and said he did not mean to “disparage” Khawaja. The piece also told readers his wife of nearly 30 years is an Asian immigrant from India.
“If I may explain, however, it is an observation I made without any intent to disparage Khawaja, but as an attempt to portray the unique position in which he finds himself as the first Muslim to represent Australia – and, broadly speaking, the first non-white since Sam Morris in the 19th century,” he wrote.
Former Test paceman Jason Gillespie, who played 71 Tests from 1996-2006, has indigenous heritage on his father's side, while all-rounder Andrew Symonds has a West Indian background.
Berry likened Khawaja's status as a “marginal figure” in the Australian team to the similar standings of England's Monty Panesar, Samit Patel and Ravi Bopara, who all have Asian heritage.
“From what I have seen, they have been marginal players in the Test and limited-overs teams. Furthermore, I found it strange and regrettable that Panesar and Patel came to be seen as figures of fun, while Bopara was involved in controversy during the Champions Trophy after simply fulfilling his role within the England team,” Berry wrote.
“In the same way, Khawaja has appeared to me to be a marginal figure in the Australian team, from what I saw on his Test debut against England in Sydney, and the tour match against Somerset, and in this Test series to date.”

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/asian-experiment-cricket-comment-sparks-online-furore-20130815-2rxxc.html#ixzz2c00ncQjF

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Is Scyld Berry really Trev ? Empty Re: Is Scyld Berry really Trev ?

Post by skully Thu 15 Aug 2013, 03:23

I'd file it under "idiotic".
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105901
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 15 Aug 2013, 08:28

Khawaja IS a marginal part of the team because his performance has been poor, so far ... it's got nothing to do with where he comes from. If he were making buckets of runs, or even performing creditably after something like 8-9 tests, he'd be a lock-in for the next match, but unfortunately he just hasn't done the business.

Nor has Hughes!

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu 15 Aug 2013, 08:38

Yeah... same with the England players, they are marginal because they're not that good. Monty has been a "figure of fun" due to his often comical batting and fielding, and Patel due to his weight... no different if they were white. Nasser Hussain wasn't exactly a "marginal" figure for England was he?

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Thu 15 Aug 2013, 08:49

As MB's thread title alludes, the only racism is Berry linking the 4 ordinary players together
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 15 Aug 2013, 08:51

Aye, the more he digs, the bigger the hole is getting.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Thu 15 Aug 2013, 09:18

Some of his best friends are average cricketers
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Thu 15 Aug 2013, 09:24

Did Unskilled Very notice Aus A's last wicket stand yesterday?

Some Oz watchers are currently hoping that Australia's experiment with their cluelessly biffing population will be shelved.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 15 Aug 2013, 09:26

G.Wood wrote:Some of his best friends are average cricketers
His wife is a player?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 15 Aug 2013, 18:47

If Scyld Berry isn't Trev, then the headline writer from the Torygraph certainly is - cop this from their website:

"Meet 20 year-old Alex Lees - England's next Superstar."
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 15 Aug 2013, 21:19

Basil wrote:
"Meet 20 year-old Alex Lees - England's next Superstar."
A young Yorkshire batsman? Never.

So, Joe Root is the nephew - so who's he? Obviously Bairstow's the ginger stepkid. Maybe the gender confused niece who's shithot?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 15 Aug 2013, 21:25

Khawaja is the most gifted batsman under the age of 30 in Australian cricket.

He's also a bit of a lazy twat who all too easily goes into cruise control. Scyld Berry has gone a bit nuts in the last few years.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 21:25

beamer wrote:Yeah... same with the England players, they are marginal because they're not that good. Monty has been a "figure of fun" due to his often comical batting and fielding, and Patel due to his weight... no different if they were white. Nasser Hussain wasn't exactly a "marginal" figure for England was he?
That was my first thought. Obviously didn't include Hussain as it didn't fit his theory.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 21:29

embee wrote:Apologies if this is NTR ...

Usman Khawaja has been dragged into the centre of a controversy over race after comments by a leading English cricket writer sparked a furore online.
English cricket writer Scyld Berry was condemned by some readers after referring to Khawaja's Asian heritage in a report filed after Australia's defeat in the fourth Test.
Khawaja is fighting for his place in the Australian team after a lean series with the bat.

"Usman Khawaja will be roasted for the limp defensive prod that he aimed at Graeme Swann when Australia were 147 for one. He could well be replaced in the Oval Test by Phil Hughes and Australia's experiment with their Asian immigrant population will be shelved,” Berry wrote in London's Daily Telegraph newspaper.
Berry's comment was branded as “totally disgusting”, “idiotic” and “disgraceful” by some readers. The line referring to the Asian immigrant population was removed from the Telegraph's website.
Berry has since defended his stance and said he did not mean to “disparage” Khawaja. The piece also told readers his wife of nearly 30 years is an Asian immigrant from India.
“If I may explain, however, it is an observation I made without any intent to disparage Khawaja, but as an attempt to portray the unique position in which he finds himself as the first Muslim to represent Australia – and, broadly speaking, the first non-white since Sam Morris in the 19th century,” he wrote.
Former Test paceman Jason Gillespie, who played 71 Tests from 1996-2006, has indigenous heritage on his father's side, while all-rounder Andrew Symonds has a West Indian background.
Berry likened Khawaja's status as a “marginal figure” in the Australian team to the similar standings of England's Monty Panesar, Samit Patel and Ravi Bopara, who all have Asian heritage.
“From what I have seen, they have been marginal players in the Test and limited-overs teams. Furthermore, I found it strange and regrettable that Panesar and Patel came to be seen as figures of fun, while Bopara was involved in controversy during the Champions Trophy after simply fulfilling his role within the England team,” Berry wrote.
“In the same way, Khawaja has appeared to me to be a marginal figure in the Australian team, from what I saw on his Test debut against England in Sydney, and the tour match against Somerset, and in this Test series to date.”

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/cricket/asian-experiment-cricket-comment-sparks-online-furore-20130815-2rxxc.html#ixzz2c00ncQjF

I'm not sure how a professional cricket writer could forget Symonds - maybe again he didn't fit his theory. Although Symonds was isolated for his own, booze-related issues.

I don't think Gillespie should be mentioned in this context. Racism is a terrible thing, but it doesn't usually have many nuances. Gillespie looked white, so wouldn't have faced the same issues as Khawaja or Symonds.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down