Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad

+5
Fred Nerk
tricycle
lardbucket
taipan
Henry
9 posters

Go down

"My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad Empty "My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad

Post by Henry Wed 26 Aug 2015, 07:19

Harsh critic much?? Wow. Your son is the finest batsman Sri Lanka has ever produced! Relax geezer!

http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/did-kumar-sangakkara-achieve-his-true-potential-i-dont-believe-so-kshema-sangakkara/

"I have always been his harshest critic. And he knows about it all too well. For the world, Kumar was this venerated technician. But in my opinion, he never reached that level. He could have done so much better with the skills he had. Everybody speaks about his average being in the same league of Graeme Pollock and Garry Sobers, but Kumar could have done better. He too often let bowlers dismiss him rather than them having to get him out. For me, Don Bradman was the ultimate batsman. He scored a century once in every three innings. If you truly consider yourself to be a world-class batsman, you should be able to do that. Kumar did well, don’t get me wrong. But did he achieve his true potential? I don’t think so."
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

"My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad Empty Re: "My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad

Post by taipan Wed 26 Aug 2015, 07:21

I am waiting for comment form the Belf's old man.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

"My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad Empty Re: "My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad

Post by Guest Wed 26 Aug 2015, 09:25

So all world class batsmen should average in the same league as Bradman.

Feel sorry for Sanga having that bloke as your Dad.

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 26 Aug 2015, 13:19

Forever a disappointment to his father. Poor bastard.

IMHO began as a talented but annoyingly mouthy, chirpy, sledgy and borderline unsporting player BUT developed into a real statesman of cricket, and an absolute ornament to the game, enhancing both his personal performance and leadership whilst eschewing the sledging and gamesmanship he displayed as a younger and more impulsive player. He leaves the game as one of its finest servants (or custodians if you prefer).

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38087
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 26 Aug 2015, 19:04

Well, fathers are usually the harshest critics... But his father's determination is possibly the reason he became such a good player. He did involve himself in Kumar's early development quite a bit (which was quite late for a cricketer). When they started off in international cricket, it was Jayawardene who was easily the best prospect in Sri Lanka.

On a different note, Kshema Sangakkara housed 40-50 Tamils in his place (or palace, if one were to call it) during riot times in 1983.

Agree with lardy's post.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 27 Aug 2015, 08:59

lardbucket wrote:Forever a disappointment to his father. Poor bastard.

IMHO began as a talented but annoyingly mouthy, chirpy, sledgy and borderline unsporting player BUT developed into a real statesman of cricket, and an absolute ornament to the game, enhancing both his personal performance and leadership whilst eschewing the sledging and gamesmanship he displayed as a younger and more impulsive player. He leaves the game as one of its finest servants (or custodians if you prefer).

I don't remember him ever being unsporting. He did quickly establish a reputation as an excellent, cut to the bone sledger. He even got Athers to bite back in 2001.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Thu 27 Aug 2015, 09:33

Over-appealing was an issue early on. Kalu hangover... and his chirpiness, unnecessary to quite an extent. But that eased off with him growing older.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 27 Aug 2015, 09:45

I think we may be looking at a classic case of 'growing up' - something that even Despicable Dave Warner is showing signs of not being completely immune from

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8809
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 27 Aug 2015, 10:45

Think that prolly sums the situation, Fred.

I got the impression this summer that DW was beginning to get a grip on his inner bogan.
Growler
Growler

"My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:09

Henry wrote:
I don't remember him ever being unsporting. He did quickly establish a reputation as an excellent, cut to the bone sledger. He even got Athers to bite back in 2001.

He was a mouth with gloves on in his early days.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Thu 27 Aug 2015, 11:44

Very few people in the modern era play international cricket for 15 years. In recent years, since handing over the gloves - I'd completely forgotten what an aggravating chippy fooker he was behind the sticks.
Growler
Growler

"My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 28 Aug 2015, 00:00

lardbucket wrote:Forever a disappointment to his father. Poor bastard.

Word.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by OP Tipping Fri 28 Aug 2015, 12:16

Asian dads...
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

"My son under-achieved"- Sanga's Dad Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum