Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket

+13
embee
lardbucket
Paul Keating
Brass Monkey
taipan
Bradman
Henry
buckSH
Ethics? The Gall!
Growler
skully
PeterCS
Fred Nerk
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket Empty Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 17 Nov 2015, 01:19

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/mitchell-johnson-to-retire-from-international-test-cricket-australia-new-zealand-second-test-waca/2015-11-17?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ausvnz

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8816
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket Empty Re: Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket

Post by PeterCS Tue 17 Nov 2015, 01:36

Very sudden.

But he does explain it quite fully, so fair enough. (Not sure the excursus into the pink ball issue is really needed on top of all the rest, but anyway.)

And sudden as it is, mid-series, at least it's not a Swann - hurtling himself off a capsizing ship, with the rest of the crew in disarray enough as it was. He leaves Australia in pretty rude health.

A very fine servant to his country. Rarely consistent for a long time - and with that and his eccentricities (express Groucho run-up, occasional fielding foibles, etc.) sadly a tempting butt for the loutishly well-beered, and the empathetically challenged - but always fast, or very fast, and when he got it right, with that speed and his angles, an utterly deadly matchwinner in his own right.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket Empty Re: Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket

Post by skully Tue 17 Nov 2015, 01:53

Thanks for the memories, Midge. At your best you were a thing of beauty, a true champion, and then you could be a pea-hearted dross weasel.

Thankfully, you worked hard and shook off the latter handle and gave us some stunning bursts of brilliance. You look tired though, so rest easy, big fella.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105958
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Growler Tue 17 Nov 2015, 02:14

Aye, I'd wish him all the best in his retirement from international cricket.

At times an absolute pie-slinger, at others almost unplayable ..... England's batsmen certainly saw both extremes over the years - 2010 contrast his 0-170 at Brisbane with 9/82 at Perth a few weeks later, then in the 2013 whitewash nobody from Cook to Anderson could cope with him (quite possibly the final straw for J Trott already struggling with other mental issues, and almost certainly a big factor in the demise of Swann & Prior). Then again utter bilge earlier this year at Cardiff, and not much better at Nottingham. All in all, an honourable draw between him and England over the years IMHO.

As the 4th highest wicket taker, he will be missed for sure. Warne, McGrath and DKL above him, but I suspect he will be held in somewhat higher regard (as a man, at least) than a couple of the others by many fans. I got the impression that McGrath went down in many peoples estimation after pictures of his big game hunting. Warne seems to me to have always been acknowledged as a wonderful bowler, but a complete shit of a bloke.
Growler
Growler

Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2286
Registration date : 2007-10-13
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethics? The Gall! Tue 17 Nov 2015, 02:43

im gonna miss him. whether he was bowling brilliantly or diabolically there was always something happening when he had the ball

nothing beige about mitchell johnson
Ethics? The Gall!
Ethics? The Gall!

Number of posts : 1911
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by buckSH Tue 17 Nov 2015, 02:49

this is bad .. mitch used to be one of the reasons why i turned on tv to watch cricket, which is very rare these days.

buckSH

Number of posts : 3027
Registration date : 2009-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 17 Nov 2015, 03:01

He provided some great moments for both Australian AND English fans over his career.

Where does he rank amongst Aussie quicks? Slightly above Brett Lee? On a par with McDermott, Thompson, and Hughes?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Tue 17 Nov 2015, 03:21

I thinkm you nailed it.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 17 Nov 2015, 03:24

Henry wrote:He provided some great moments for both Australian AND English fans over his career.

Where does he rank amongst Aussie quicks? Slightly above Brett Lee? On a par with McDermott, Thompson, and Hughes?

Bit of disservice to Ray Lindwall here.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 17 Nov 2015, 03:46

Absolutely devastating on his day - it often wasn't his day though. Never shirked as far as I can remember, still bowled filth with gusto when ordered
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Tue 17 Nov 2015, 04:24

taipan wrote:
Henry wrote:He provided some great moments for both Australian AND English fans over his career.

I don't think Trev was suggesting McDermott and Hughes are above Lindwall.

Merely suggesting Johnson is on par with them.

Lindwall, MacDonald, Spofforh, Miller, Davidson are all better than Johnson. To name just a few.
Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 17 Nov 2015, 04:58

Brass Monkey wrote:Absolutely devastating on his day - it often wasn't his day though. Never shirked as far as I can remember, still bowled filth with gusto when ordered

That's a good description.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38107
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 17 Nov 2015, 05:01

Paul Keating wrote:
taipan wrote:

Lindwall, MacDonald, Spofforh, Miller, Davidson are all better than Johnson. To name just a few.

Trev's already utterly damned MJ by saying he was only slightly above Brett Lee. Miles ahead of him IMHO; on effort alone. To put it another way, and I think Brass has already suggested this ... MJ's best was a lot better than Blee's best. MJ's worst was probably on a par with Blee's worst, but his effort never went missing and he was always trying something.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 17 Nov 2015, 05:10

lardbucket wrote:
Paul Keating wrote:
taipan wrote:

Trev's already utterly damned MJ by saying he was only slightly above Brett Lee. Miles ahead of him IMHO; on effort alone. To put it another way, and I think Brass has already suggested this ... MJ's best was a lot better than Blee's best. MJ's worst was probably on a par with Blee's worst, but his effort never went missing and he was always trying something.

You could probably accuse Lee of a lot of things, but I don't think you could ever accuse him of not trying his best. 2005 Ashes a case in point.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 17 Nov 2015, 05:12

The trouble is, he always tried the same thing.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Tue 17 Nov 2015, 05:12

or the exception that proves the rule

embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Tue 17 Nov 2015, 06:46

Well done Midge on a great career, not only a fearsome fast Bowler, but a handy contributor with Bat lower down the order. aye-aye

Blackadder

Today will be Mitch Johnson's last day of cricket ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Tue 17 Nov 2015, 06:48

lardbucket wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:Absolutely devastating on his day - it often wasn't his day though. Never shirked as far as I can remember, still bowled filth with gusto when ordered

Johnno, when you write your book, there's the title....

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8816
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Tue 17 Nov 2015, 07:14

Fred Nerk wrote:
lardbucket wrote:

Johnno, when you write your book, there's the title....

Might get confused with Big Merv's though.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:50

At his best he was scary - as an England fan you just felt he was capable of taking us apart in any given spell.

Compelling to watch as it was either wickets and hostility or going all round the park.

I was less keen on his sometimes ratty, narky attitude. I prefer my pace bowlers to just get on with it - West Indies 80s style.

Probably mentally a lot stronger than he was given credit for - he took the Barmy Army moronic 'bowls to the left, bowls to the right' nonsense with relative good grace and managed to produce match winning performances inspite of that crap, can you imagine if Harmison had been subject to a similar level of ribbing/abuse? He'd have ended up bowling it to square leg.

Lindsay no.2

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lindsay no.2 Tue 17 Nov 2015, 11:58

Growler wrote:Aye, I'd wish him all the best in his retirement from international cricket.

At times an absolute pie-slinger, at others almost unplayable ..... England's batsmen certainly saw both extremes over the years - 2010 contrast his 0-170 at Brisbane with 9/82 at Perth a few weeks later, then in the 2013 whitewash nobody from Cook to Anderson could cope with him (quite possibly the final straw for J Trott already struggling with other mental issues, and almost certainly a big factor in the demise of Swann & Prior). Then again utter bilge earlier this year at Cardiff, and not much better at Nottingham. All in all, an honourable draw between him and England over the years IMHO.

As the 4th highest wicket taker, he will be missed for sure. Warne, McGrath and DKL above him, but I suspect he will be held in somewhat higher regard (as a man, at least) than a couple of the others by many fans. I got the impression that McGrath went down in many peoples estimation after pictures of his big game hunting. Warne seems to me to have always been acknowledged as a wonderful bowler, but a complete shit of a bloke.

The eye popping, mouth foaming, finger pointing, foul mouthed tirade aimed at Sarwan whilst on tour in the WI in early 2000s (I think?) was where he showed his true class.

Lindsay no.2

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2015-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 17 Nov 2015, 18:21

A quality competitor. Even when he was bowling shite, he was giving it everything for the cause. In a shite way.

You always felt the opposition batsmen weren't quite ever in because there was the off-chance that Mitch could click and blow them away in a spell. And he was the kind of destructive lower-order batsman that you felt needed to be removed quickly before you could comfortably say you were into the tail.

Seems like a pretty decent bloke as well.

It's funny that a guy who can still bowl 90+mph rockets thinks he hasn't got it anymore. County cricket it full of ancient bowlers trundling it down at 75mph, stealing a living.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 17 Nov 2015, 18:23

Lindsay no.2 wrote:
I was less keen on his sometimes ratty, narky attitude. I prefer my pace bowlers to just get on with it - West Indies 80s style.

I thought he was all right in that area. He liked to posture, but I can't think of any instances where he was particularly over the top or foul mouthed. Generally seemed like a good sport.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 17 Nov 2015, 18:51

Ah, mixed feelings really, glad we won't ever have to face him in Australia again but would have liked to have seen him bowl for a couple more years.

Unstoppable on his day, struggle to think of a more explosive and terrifying fast bowler in my cricket watching life time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 17 Nov 2015, 19:15

Dello wrote:
Lindsay no.2 wrote:

I thought he was all right in that area. He liked to posture, but I can't think of any instances where he was particularly over the top or foul mouthed. Generally seemed like a good sport.

There's a few times he had a bit of at chat, but that was usually when he was bowling up shite. Overall a decent bloke
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next