Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So they want to ban sledging in cricket.

+11
leg glancer
Fred Nerk
skully
Henry
*Buckaroo*
WideWally
tac
embee
horace
LeFromage
gh05
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So they want to ban sledging in cricket. Empty So they want to ban sledging in cricket.

Post by gh05 Thu 14 Feb 2008, 23:31

Are they gonna make the players hold their fingers on lips too? How can you regulate it?

To me it's part of why the game is a great test of mental strength and should be encouraged within reason.

gh05

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

So they want to ban sledging in cricket. Empty Re: So they want to ban sledging in cricket.

Post by LeFromage Fri 15 Feb 2008, 00:02

Didn't they invent some kind of electroshock swear-box that gives you a jolt of volts every time you utter an expletive?

Or was that an episode of South Park?

Either way, they should make players wear one.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

So they want to ban sledging in cricket. Empty Re: So they want to ban sledging in cricket.

Post by horace Fri 15 Feb 2008, 00:13

good idea...Oz selectors need to wear one as do the entire BCCI and ICC...we could jolt them just for fun
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 15 Feb 2008, 06:40

gh05 wrote:Are they gonna make the players hold their fingers on lips too? How can you regulate it?

To me it's part of why the game is a great test of mental strength and should be encouraged within reason.

It's all to do with the power they give to the umpires ...and how the ICC backs the umpires who enforce their powers ....and how the sledgers are punished ....
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 15 Feb 2008, 06:42

The ICC back umpires? Farkin yeah . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 15 Feb 2008, 06:44

tac wrote:The ICC back umpires? Farkin yeah . . .

Sharp as a tac(k) ....Sounds like a good idea , will never happen....
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 15 Feb 2008, 06:46

Indeed.
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Fri 15 Feb 2008, 07:07

Sledging shouldn't be banned but it should be rationed. One per player. Make it a good one. We want quality not quantity.
Twisted Evil
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9702

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Fri 15 Feb 2008, 07:11

It's really unsightly when senior players like Lara, Pollock etc are sledged.

Don't really mind a couple of colts going at each other but it's when they push the envelope that it gets irritating for everyone.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Fri 15 Feb 2008, 07:15

*Buckaroo* wrote:It's really unsightly when senior players like Lara, Pollock etc are sledged.

Don't really mind a couple of colts going at each other but it's when they push the envelope that it gets irritating for everyone.

Sanga sledging Pollock was not unsightly ...
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Fri 15 Feb 2008, 07:30

I didn't like it.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Feb 2008, 08:12

I think it depends on the nature of the sledge. "Mind the windows, Tino" was very funny and I imagine Best probably saw the funny side afterward. It's when it gets personal and players families are brought into it that bothers me, and also how aggressive it is. MCGrath's "What does Brian Lara's dick taste like?" to Sarwan was unacceptable, though his reply of "I don't know, ask your wife" was justified in this case as McGrath brought it on himself (and then had a massive sook afterwards, seems he can dish it out but not take it).

So yeah, keep the good natured, good humoured sledging, get rid of the attacks on player's famillies and aggressive, needless swearing at players. Difficult to police with an exact rule, but it should be under the umpires discretion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 17 Feb 2008, 11:06

In response to the BCCI wanting sledging banned from the IPL, a compromise has been requested- Only 2 Aussie players per franchise.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 17 Feb 2008, 11:10

Ponting couldn't restrain himself today. I kinda like the aussies .. when they are low they expect all manner of sympathy but when on a high can't restrain themselves if their lives depended on it.

A Sporting culture perhaps ?
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 17 Feb 2008, 11:11

Trev in "I wet myself when people say naughty words at me" shock.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105959
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 17 Feb 2008, 11:13

Ponting is just dumb as f*ck.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 17 Feb 2008, 11:25

So he is enrolled in your school Trev. "Dumb farks who know a bit about cricket but let their sad regional biases cloud their judgment" tutorials.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105959
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Sun 17 Feb 2008, 11:51

Ponting may be as dumb as f*ck but Trev makes f*ck look like Einstein.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8816
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Sun 17 Feb 2008, 17:29

vilkrang wrote:I think it depends on the nature of the sledge. "Mind the windows, Tino" was very funny and I imagine Best probably saw the funny side afterward. It's when it gets personal and players families are brought into it that bothers me, and also how aggressive it is. MCGrath's "What does Brian Lara's dick taste like?" to Sarwan was unacceptable, though his reply of "I don't know, ask your wife" was justified in this case as McGrath brought it on himself (and then had a massive sook afterwards, seems he can dish it out but not take it).

So yeah, keep the good natured, good humoured sledging, get rid of the attacks on player's famillies and aggressive, needless swearing at players. Difficult to police with an exact rule, but it should be under the umpires discretion.

Can't players just shut up and play or is that just too much to ask?
leg glancer
leg glancer

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2007-11-19
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 17 Feb 2008, 17:33

Henry wrote:In response to the BCCI wanting sledging banned from the IPL, a compromise has been requested- Only 2 Aussie players per franchise.
bounce

Great sledge.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Feb 2008, 17:40

leg glancer wrote:
vilkrang wrote:I think it depends on the nature of the sledge. "Mind the windows, Tino" was very funny and I imagine Best probably saw the funny side afterward. It's when it gets personal and players families are brought into it that bothers me, and also how aggressive it is. MCGrath's "What does Brian Lara's dick taste like?" to Sarwan was unacceptable, though his reply of "I don't know, ask your wife" was justified in this case as McGrath brought it on himself (and then had a massive sook afterwards, seems he can dish it out but not take it).

Can't players just shut up and play or is that just too much to ask?
That would be ideal I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sun 17 Feb 2008, 20:08

Fred Nerk wrote:Ponting may be as dumb as f*ck but Trev makes f*ck look like Einstein.
Gold!

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 18 Feb 2008, 07:59

Ponting sledging Harbhajan when he got out? Heh, missed it.

Did Cullinan do that when Warne got out as well?
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Mon 18 Feb 2008, 09:06

Crikey, banning sledging...!

I always thought cricket was a mental and physical test? To ban sledging just means that those who are weak mentally can perhaps make it to the top of the tree. Surely thats not right?!

Ban personal abuse, by all means. But a bit of chirp has been as fundamental as bad umpiring decisions, the LBW rule etc.. in cricket!

How about we make the cricket ball out of sponge so they don't hurt their fingers when they hit it at each other?

S0ftc0cks, whoever moaned about sledging!!!
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 18 Feb 2008, 09:34

You know, the ranting of the Rambo blood-n-guts crowd when anybody mentions 'banning' sledging (a threat so arse-deep in logistic problems as to be ludicrous) is heaps funnier than nearly all the gems of sparkling on-field repartee that finds its way into bad autobiogs.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8816
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next