Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Michael Vaughan Appreciation Thread

+12
Merlin
*Buckaroo*
SG
PlanetPakistan
JKLever
Big_Bad_Bob
Gary 111
PeterCS
Allan D
LeFromage
DJ_Smerk
Chivalry Augustus
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Michael Vaughan Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Michael Vaughan Appreciation Thread

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:37

Gary is spot on in most of what he says. Dello's stats are misleading.

His ton vs India last year was one of the finest any of you are ever likely to see. There's loads to write about him, but I don't have the time.

Last edited by Lara Lara Laughs on Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:44; edited 1 time in total
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

The Michael Vaughan Appreciation Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Michael Vaughan Appreciation Thread

Post by Merlin Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:40

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Gary is spot on in most of what he says. Dello's stats are misleading.

His ton vs India last year was one of the finest any of you are ever likely to see. There's loads to right about him, but I don't have the time.
TFFT.

Vawnnnn's gawnnnn ... huzzah and huzzah .... now here endeth the lesson.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:42

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:There's loads to right about him, but I don't have the time.

And loads to the left of him?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:45

Cannon?
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:47

Brass Monkeys?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:50

Cold enough?
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:55

No, I meant

Into the Valley of Death rode the Gallant Mick Vaughan (dread), etc.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 04 Aug 2008, 14:57

PeterCS wrote:No, I meant

Into the Valley of Death rode the Gallant Mick Vaughan (dread), etc.

Ah, I was thinking more along the lines of "clowns to the left...."

Nothing like a bit of Tennyson to lighten up the place.

OF course Flashman was there as well.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 04 Aug 2008, 19:10

Lara Lara Laughs wrote:Gary is spot on in most of what he says. Dello's stats are misleading.

His ton vs India last year was one of the finest any of you are ever likely to see. There's loads to write about him, but I don't have the time.

One of the major criticisms of Vaughan is that he never led by example with the bat - unlike Smith in the most recent test.

This isn't 100% accurate - as he did at times, just not as often as we would have hoped a player of his talent would. His match saving centuries at Kandy, Antigua, brilliant but fortuitous 166 in the Ashes and twin half centuries in that thrilling match at Johannesburg tick this box. But the stats don't lie on this occasion and a batting average of 36 is a disappointing return.

That innings at Trent Bridge is the biggest frustration - because Vaughan really was looking like he could win that match for us, from what had appeared a hopeless position. His freak dismissal, the ball deflecting off the thigh pad and bizarrely turning a ball angled down the leg side back round his legs onto the stumps was incredibly unfortunate. All the hundreds and hundreds of matches i've watched and I can only remember this type of dismissal happening twice (Giles to Ponting at the Gabba was the other btw).

I guess this shows that you not only have to be good but be lucky. Graeme Smith could just as easily have been given out on a couple of occasions on Saturday and an innings that will be remembered as his masterpiece would have just been a footnote to an England victory.

But then again, a slightly bigger deflection off Kasprowicz's glove down to fine leg for four and Vaughan would have been just another England captain who failed against the Aussies, so I guess he can't complain too much about luck...!
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Mon 04 Aug 2008, 19:42

That innings at Trent Bridge last year was a thing of beauty.

I've been bloody jammy with some of the moments of genius, history and heart thumping drama that have unfolded before me at my, truth be told, not incredibly regular visits to the Test match arena.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

The Michael Vaughan Appreciation Thread - Page 2 ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2