Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

British author wins nobel prize for literature.

+14
Merlin
Brass Monkey
doctorspin
LeFromage
taipan
JGK
lardbucket
*Buckaroo*
Zat
tac
furriner
HH_pink
doremi
Lara Lara Laughs
18 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

British author wins nobel prize for literature. Empty British author wins nobel prize for literature.

Post by Lara Lara Laughs Thu 11 Oct 2007, 19:08

Should we all sing the national anthem or something?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7039100.stm

I've never heard of her. 87 years old! Left it a bit late.
Lara Lara Laughs
Lara Lara Laughs

Number of posts : 8943
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

British author wins nobel prize for literature. Empty Re: British author wins nobel prize for literature.

Post by doremi Thu 11 Oct 2007, 19:23

Just saw it on TV. Will try to read a few of her books.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

British author wins nobel prize for literature. Empty Re: British author wins nobel prize for literature.

Post by HH_pink Thu 11 Oct 2007, 19:38

They can't give a Nobel to someone who's dead so I think they were probably thinking they had better give it to me now

Laughing
HH_pink
HH_pink

British author wins nobel prize for literature. APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3353

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Thu 11 Oct 2007, 20:52

She ain't half bad. Although like a few literary prizes, it has come a bit late IMO. Her time was in the 70s and 80s.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Fri 12 Oct 2007, 00:19

furriner wrote:She ain't half bad. Although like a few literary prizes, it has come a bit late IMO. Her time was in the 70s and 80s.

Agree with His Subiness on this one. She was the "thing" in the early to mid-80s on a lot of college campuses. Didn't think much of her myself . . . in fact can remember not finishing her novels (which I read in order to get into a certain young lady's pants). I guess you could her novels were "pants".
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Fri 12 Oct 2007, 08:06

tac wrote:I guess you could her novels were "pants".
WTAAS.

But bonus points for the irony that it turns up in a thread on the Nobel Literature Prize.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 13 Oct 2007, 03:54

There are two intellectual prizes-literature and peace. You will find that most of them went to western elite. The times they went to non-western folks it was to influence the issues or smite someone in the face. the prize for the soviet writers was to spite the FSU leaders. BTW has anybody from China got a Nobel prize ?

this year the literature and peace went to core western issues of 'feminism' and 'climate change' (does anyone see connection between peace and climate change ?lol) so it is same old...same old.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 13 Oct 2007, 06:16

*Buckaroo* wrote:There are two intellectual prizes-literature and peace. You will find that most of them went to western elite. The times they went to non-western folks it was to influence the issues or smite someone in the face. the prize for the soviet writers was to spite the FSU leaders. BTW has anybody from China got a Nobel prize ?

this year the literature and peace went to core western issues of 'feminism' and 'climate change' (does anyone see connection between peace and climate change ?lol) so it is same old...same old.

More of the same old same old from Buckie boy. Still without a clue.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 13 Oct 2007, 06:21

Here's a list of all winners . . .

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/lists/all/all_laureates_c.html

Not sure how you pick "Peace" as a "intellectual" prize but not Physics or Chemistry?

Anyway, knock yourself out looking for more examples of western bias.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 13 Oct 2007, 06:27

I think the physics Nobel Laureates may be chosen for their hair.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2007/

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38075
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 13 Oct 2007, 06:29

Sage.
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:16

lardbucket wrote:I think the physics Nobel Laureates may be chosen for their hair.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2007/

I know of an Indian physicist named Sudarshan based on whose work atleast half a dozen of his research assistants got a Nobel, but they skipped him. So they well might be basing it on hair.

the Nobel prize for peace on the other hand has been given to luminaries of the likes of that butcher/mass murderer Henry Kissinger. But they have missed out on Mahatma Gandhi who has done a quantum order of work in that direction that far exceeds most winners.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:28

Not giving the Mahatma the Nobel was a big mistake and a serious oversight on their part, as the Nobel committee have acknowledged time and again. No point raising that issue here.

But I was seriously bemused when I heard that the peace prize had been given to a organization dealing with climate change.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:40

HH_pink wrote:
But I was seriously bemused when I heard that the peace prize had been given to a organization dealing with climate change.

Peace prize is about politics and not about peace.

Causing human misery, terrorism, racism are useful attributes for Nobel Peace prize winners, as long as the people who suffer are not western.

Arafat, Kissinger, and now Al Gore.

I would rather have David Duke as president than Al Gore.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:41

I think you're peaced.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38075
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:44

tac wrote:Here's a list of all winners . . .

Not sure how you pick "Peace" as a "intellectual" prize but not Physics or Chemistry?

Or indeed economics.

In fact, Peace is the least intellectual.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:52

there is an ongoing tussle between the old-world/old-money elite of Europe and the new-world fossil fuel powered elite mostly based in US whose cause is championed by the likes of Rockefellers.

Now the old-world traditional elite of Europe lost out on the fossil fuel race to the likes of Rockefellers and the new world elite and this whole climate change drama is a brainchild of the European elite whose move is to introduce alternate energy technology under the hoax of global warming. This will help them capture ground lost by transfer-of-technology to the East and transfer of wealth back into European elite.

The European Elite are led by the likes of Rothschilds who are championing their cause. One of them has bought out a handbook on global warming and is spearheading the movement worldwide. And yet another one was involved with the Live Earth drama to promote the global warming hoax.

Last edited by on Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:53; edited 1 time in total
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 13 Oct 2007, 07:52

JGK wrote:
tac wrote:Here's a list of all winners . . .

Or indeed economics.

In fact, Peace is the least intellectual.

Phurt! Economics is pure farkin guesswork (apart from the bit where you read tea leaves and chicken entrails).
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by HH_pink Sat 13 Oct 2007, 08:47

I'm 100% certain Bucky boy is lags.
HH_pink
HH_pink

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 13 Oct 2007, 09:04

HH_pink wrote:I'm 100% certain Bucky boy is lags.

Don't think so
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 13 Oct 2007, 09:30

HH_pink wrote:I'm 100% certain Bucky boy is lags.

I don't think he is.

I don't particularly care either way, to be honest.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by doctorspin Sat 13 Oct 2007, 09:48

lardbucket wrote:I think you're peaced.

:laule:
doctorspin
doctorspin

British author wins nobel prize for literature. 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sat 13 Oct 2007, 09:54

yea...i am peaced out. And quite wary of the peacers.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 13 Oct 2007, 09:57

*Buckaroo* wrote:there is an ongoing tussle between the old-world/old-money elite of Europe and the new-world fossil fuel powered elite mostly based in US whose cause is championed by the likes of Rockefellers.

Now the old-world traditional elite of Europe lost out on the fossil fuel race to the likes of Rockefellers and the new world elite and this whole climate change drama is a brainchild of the European elite whose move is to introduce alternate energy technology under the hoax of global warming. This will help them capture ground lost by transfer-of-technology to the East and transfer of wealth back into European elite.

The European Elite are led by the likes of Rothschilds who are championing their cause. One of them has bought out a handbook on global warming and is spearheading the movement worldwide. And yet another one was involved with the Live Earth drama to promote the global warming hoax.

Laughing Laughing Wicked. We've got another Shrimpton. Go forth my pretty!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 13 Oct 2007, 09:57

I wish you would farkin peace off!
tac
tac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next