Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England Lions squad to play Sri Lanka A

+2
Brass Monkey
Henry
6 posters

Go down

England Lions squad to play Sri Lanka A Empty England Lions squad to play Sri Lanka A

Post by Henry Mon 25 Jul 2011, 14:32

England Lions four-day squad vs Sri Lanka A, Scarborough, August 2-5.

James Taylor (Leicestershire, captain)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Scott Borthwick (Durham)
Jack Brooks (Northants)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
James Harris (Glamorgan)
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Joe Root (Yorkshire)

England Lions one-day squad vs Sri Lanka A, August 12, 14, 16.

James Taylor (Leicestershire, captain)
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Scott Borthwick (Durham)
Danny Briggs (Hampshire)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
James Harris (Glamorgan)
Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Chris Nash (Sussex)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)

England Lions fixtures vs Sri Lanka A

Four-day match:
11am - Tuesday August 2, Friday August 5, Scarborough.

Three-match one-day series:
10.45am - Friday August 12, New Road, Worcester
10.45am - Sunday August 14, New Road, Worcester
10.45am - Tuesday August 16, Wantage Road, Northampton.

Well, they've clearly gone right off Adil Rashid. I can only assume Flower and co don't like his attitude, because on the surface, you'd think he should definitely be in the mix. It's hard to buy the "oh they want to protect him, hold him back and let him develop" linne anymore, especially since both Briggs and now Borthwick have jumped over him in the queue.

Jack Brooks! Danny must have already unleashed a litre of cum on some poor, unsuspecting gym sock.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

England Lions squad to play Sri Lanka A Empty Re: England Lions squad to play Sri Lanka A

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 25 Jul 2011, 14:47

What do I care Trev? He's Ashley Giles' now. Nothing to do with Northants. Apart from leaving us a bowler short for a crucial period.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

England Lions squad to play Sri Lanka A Empty Re: England Lions squad to play Sri Lanka A

Post by Henry Mon 25 Jul 2011, 14:54

I'm sure you've found some reason to unleash a litre of cum on a poor, unsuspecting gym sock today? I nearly orgasmed first in rapist like anger and then sex on crack delight when Sachin was dropped/given out.

Quite frankly, i'm spent.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 25 Jul 2011, 15:14

They're called Womble's toboggans! Not really, I'm wary of the draw still, getting Ramesh means little at the minute. Being serious, I'm pleased for Brooks. In some ways it highlight the paucity of pace bowling in England that it takes less than one good season to be in the Lions squad...
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 25 Jul 2011, 15:17

I think the pace bowling stocks are...well...promising. We haven't seen the performances on the board yet, but there's quite a few 18-24 year olds in County squads capable of bowling around 90mph.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 25 Jul 2011, 15:38

Yeah, I'll get more excited when they can hit the strip.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:14

Joe Root?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:22

It's Pete Sussex's influence. He said in an interview the other day that the young player who most impressed him on the county scene was Root. Didn't score any runs against Lancs, he said, but there were a couple of shots that made him go "Oooh, that's Luke Wrightian in its quality".

I'm paraphrasing.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:23

He's looked solid whenever i've seen him. A good technique from which to build a game around. Might be something in a few years. But frankly, yeah, he's a bit of a random pick.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:25

Henry wrote:
Well, they've clearly gone right off Adil Rashid. I can only assume Flower and co don't like his attitude, because on the surface, you'd think he should definitely be in the mix. It's hard to buy the "oh they want to protect him, hold him back and let him develop" linne anymore, especially since both Briggs and now Borthwick have jumped over him in the queue.

He didn't play for Yorks in their last Pro40 game. Perhaps he's injured. In any case, what else do they need to know about Rashid? He's played loads of games for the "A" sides. Might as well have a look at Borthwick.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:28

But he wasn't picked for the development squad, or the Lions at all over the Winter. Did he play against the top Sri Lankan side early in the Summer? I can't remember....
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:37

Alex Hales
Chris Nash
James Taylor
Ravi Bopara
Ben Stokes
Jonathan Bairstow
Chris Woakes
James Harris
Stuart Meaker
Danny Briggs
Steven Finn

Anyone fancy that to beat England 'AA'?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:38

Henry wrote:But he wasn't picked for the development squad, or the Lions at all over the Winter. Did he play against the top Sri Lankan side early in the Summer? I can't remember....

He played for them in the winter - he joined the Lions out in the West Indies once his stint at South Australia for the Rigged Gash was over.

The Lions didn't play a spinner against SL. Sam Patel was the nominal sixth bowler after five seamers had had a go.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 25 Jul 2011, 18:42

Well, I can kind of see where the selectors are coming from this time. I'm not all that outraged that Rashid hasn't been picked, because yet again he's started a season strongly before gradually tailing off from June onwards. It should the the other way around. I haven't studied his figures with a fine tooth comb, but I don't think Yorkshire have overbowled him or anything like that. He just seems to tail off.

He's worth a go in the T20s- He's got some really clever variations in that form of the game, but he's not a viable test option at this stage, imo.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 25 Jul 2011, 20:04

So, not only is Taylor being touted as Strauss's long term-replacement as opener - the management must view him as a FEC.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 25 Jul 2011, 20:07

Taylor isn't an opener though, is he? Bats at three or four for Leics. Unless you're talking about Mark Taylor........
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 25 Jul 2011, 20:36

Henry wrote:Taylor isn't an opener though, is he? Bats at three or four for Leics. Unless you're talking about Mark Taylor........

Not yet, but my understanding is that England's management would like him to open.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Mon 25 Jul 2011, 23:10

JKLever wrote:Joe Root?

I 'Treved' him a couple of years back. (in the 'next best player ever', not some depraved sexual act incase that wasn't clear).

Gonna open the batting for the Test team one day.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 26 Jul 2011, 00:32

Meh, hasn't even got a FC ton. Cheaping England A cricket...

You wonder why Stokes isn't in the 4 day squad what with him having 5 FC tons and an average over 45!

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Tue 26 Jul 2011, 00:43

JKLever wrote:Meh, hasn't even got a FC ton. Cheaping England A cricket...

You wonder why Stokes isn't in the 4 day squad what with him having 5 FC tons and an average over 45!

Might be to do with his injury. Perhaps the four day game comes first and he's getting a little extra time to mend his bones before the one-day stuff. Ten days between the start of the four-day game and the first one-dayer.

Or it may be that it's a more experimental four-day squad. No Finn, no Woakes, no Stokes, no Rashid (as previously mentioned).

According to Windy Miller: "The England Lions series against Sri Lanka A is an important opportunity for those younger players to gain valuable experience against international opposition and push for further involvement in England programmes this winter.

"The series will also give players a chance to press for inclusion in the upcoming NatWest Series against India."

Which kind of suggests that the one-day Lions squad is the more serious one - with ODIs against India coming up.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 26 Jul 2011, 03:10

I'd imagine Hales and Stokes just have to not get injured and avoid looking completely retarded in order to get picked for the ODI/T20 squad later in the Summer.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 26 Jul 2011, 09:37

Henry wrote:I'd imagine Hales and Stokes just have to not get injured and avoid looking completely retarded in order to get picked for the ODI/T20 squad later in the Summer.

Phurt! England won their last ODI series. All is well!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:11

Can't see Hales getting a go replacing Bedwetter (they have to pick him in his normal position surely?) in the ODI's but I could see him ousting Lumb from the T20 - that was almost a loyal continuity pick that one.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Tue 26 Jul 2011, 11:16

Unless they drop Bell from the ODI side, move Trott to four, and KP to five with Hales slotting in at three. Means it's less likely that Cook and Trott will find themselves batting together.

Stokes and Samit should be competing for the number seven spot depending on conditions.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down