Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you were a Time Lord.........

+7
peterg
Henry
Invader Zim
horace
Mick Sawyer
tac
Basil
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

If you were a Time Lord......... - Page 2 Empty Re: If you were a Time Lord.........

Post by horace Wed 09 Jan 2008, 01:36

dolly was one of my all time favourite cricketers...much loved and admired in australia

zimmi - pity you missed the centenary test - it was a cracker
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

If you were a Time Lord......... - Page 2 Empty Re: If you were a Time Lord.........

Post by peterg Wed 09 Jan 2008, 01:36

I'd probably choose the third day of the Nottingham Test of 1938 when Stan McCabe made his immortal 232, an innings described by virtually all who saw it as the greatest ever. The greatest batsman, Bradman, and the greatest bowler, Barnes, were amongst this consensus.

peterg

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 09 Jan 2008, 01:45

"Be sure to take a hat and jacket" + overcoat, gloves, umbrella, snuff & pipe. Right, now I'm all set.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 09 Jan 2008, 01:47

Basil wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:
Basil wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:
Basil wrote:I think mine would be day 2 of the Oval test of 1968 when D'Oliveira scored 158.

hmmmmmmm - not an obvious pick Bas - you have some connection to Dolly?

Nope, just a great innings from a boyhood hero.

Those things are special - I have memories of Dolly swatting DKL (off his eyebrows) to the square leg boundary in 1972.

And Dolly would have been 41 at the time!

Yeah, made an impression on me - horrie's right, he was (rightfully) viewed as someone special here.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Thu 10 Jan 2008, 09:20

So many to chose from.

I should look up the records but there must have been a day in the 1910/11 series when Barnes bowled and Trumper and Hobbs both batted. This would surely have to be as good as it gets.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu 10 Jan 2008, 09:45

28 February 1933.

Watch as them whinging Aussie sooks get a taste of their own cheating medicine that they will constantly utilise for the next 75 years. Except they take it to whole new levels, the mardy bastards.

"England found a way of getting us out all the time. It's not fair. And they injured a couple of our guys too. Waaaaaaaaaah!"
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

If you were a Time Lord......... - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 10 Jan 2008, 10:48

horace wrote:
Invader Zim wrote:I'd go back and stop India being admited to the ICC.

forum gold
Very Happy
Aye, had to chuckle.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 10 Jan 2008, 10:50

Headingley 1981

Although not sure if i'd want to go on the day Beefy/Dilley slogged some runs or the day when Willis rampaged through the Aussies.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 10 Jan 2008, 10:54

Definitely the day Willis tore through them ...

I'd also liked to have been in the same bookies where Lillee and Marsh put their bets on ....
(having a penchant for the occasional "sporting bet" meself) ...
taking their advice, I too might have risked my fiver on England at 500/1 !! Wink

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Thu 10 Jan 2008, 10:58

Maybe your mere presence would disrupt a slight breeze's path, and thus ensure one ball did not deviate as much as it should have, whereupon the Australians' steer a course to victory...

...don't meddle with time, boys. If I were a time lord, I honestly wouldn't be going to any cricket matches any time soon. Seeing how the question was asked though, I answered honestly. Cheating Aussie bar stewards.

Personally, I'd be off to Ancient Rome. I'd hope to encounter Julius Caesar, before proceeding forth in time to his heir, Augustus.

To be honest though, I think most of us would first visit the Roman Empire during the time of either Augustus or Tiberius. On the one hand, we might wish to witness the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, or at least observe whether such a birth ever occurred, and then maybe the "crucifixion" of Jesus during Emperor Tiberius's reign, again assuming it ever happened.

Even to religious objectors, the lure of the Jesus Legend would be too much.

Anyone read the quite brilliant book, "Behold the Man" by Michael Moorcock? God, that's a way to die. Not necessarily a good way, but a great way should one wish to feed his ego and obtain immortality.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

If you were a Time Lord......... - Page 2 Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu 10 Jan 2008, 11:13

I think most of us would first visit the Roman Empire during the time of either Augustus or Tiberius.
Not me Auggie.
I loathe those bloody Romans.
Check out Roma, Juventus, Inter Milan ... rotten to the core, all of them.

Merlin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2