Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swanny confirms what we already knew about...

+7
Nath
beamer
Brass Monkey
skully
horace
Henry
LeFromage
11 posters

Go down

Swanny confirms what we already knew about... Empty Swanny confirms what we already knew about...

Post by LeFromage Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 am

... England's embarrassingly inept approach to limited overs cricket.

I remember sitting in a team meeting - before the new fielding restrictions were brought in - and we were told that if we scored 239 we will win 72% of games. That meant the whole game was built on having so many runs by a certain stage and having so many partnerships. I used to shake my head, thinking 'this is crazy'. I remember Jonathan Trott getting close to a hundred in Colombo. We had batted to our plan almost perfectly and scored 229. Trotty got 86 in 115 balls. Everyone said "brilliant", then Sri Lanka knocked them off in 39.3 overs.

I used to sit in the changing room and I always felt we were so far behind other teams because we play such an old-fashioned brand. Some of my best mates - Cook, Bell, Ballance - are not one-day players who are going to win you a World Cup.

Alex Hales is going to win you a World Cup; James Vince, Jason Roy, Jos Buttler, Eoin Morgan. They're players I wouldn't want to bowl at, who can build a total of 360-370.

Vaughan also stuck his oar in.

We've made the same mistake now as we did in my time, five-six years ago and in the 1990s. We're picking one-day squads on Test form. English cricket has always had Test cricket at the pinnacle, but the games are so different.

England are looking too much at these new white balls. The other teams have gone power at the top and all the way through. It's a completely different era because of T20. We got to a Champions Trophy in 2004 and we were rubbish. We just happened to get to a final in English conditions.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/774061.html
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-04
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Swanny confirms what we already knew about... Empty Re: Swanny confirms what we already knew about...

Post by LeFromage Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 am

Swanner also bigged up little Jimmy Taylor: "James Taylor is in incredible form. Taylor and Root can both score very quickly and they're your two proper players. I think someone higher up doesn't rate Taylor and it's a crying shame."

That someone is Andy Flower.

So Swanny logic has the batting line-up something like:-

Hales
Roy
Vince
Root
Morgan
Taylor
Buttler

Sounds like fun, but who's your fifth bowler?
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-04
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Swanny confirms what we already knew about... Empty Re: Swanny confirms what we already knew about...

Post by Henry Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:19 am

Swap an in-form Stokes or Bopara for Taylor (who I don't rate either) and that's your top seven. 

I listened to that podcast and I was astounded but also not surprised. It really does confirm what we already suspected, that this England side is (was?) driven by ridiculous statistics dug up by some analyst trying to justify his position in England's 15-man support staff. 

The one time in the last 15 years where England have simply said "sod it, let's just go for it", we went and won the World T20 in 2010. I can't believe we haven't tried that approach in ODI cricket.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:18 am

at least the brains trust got the menu right...that is important
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:40 pm

Deary me!!! One wonders what the successive English coaches have ever done to deserve their jobs. Swallow, obviously. Shocked
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105921
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Dello wrote:
I remember sitting in a team meeting - before the new fielding restrictions were brought in - and we were told that if we scored 239 we will win 72% of games. That meant the whole game was built on having so many runs by a certain stage and having so many partnerships. I used to shake my head, thinking 'this is crazy'. I remember Jonathan Trott getting close to a hundred in Colombo. We had batted to our plan almost perfectly and scored 229. Trotty got 86 in 115 balls. Everyone said "brilliant", then Sri Lanka knocked them off in 39.3 overs.

Laughing Absolutely hilarious!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Swanny for JAMODI coach, the campaign starts here...

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 pm

beamer wrote:Swanny for JAMODI coach, the campaign starts here...

At least the post-match press conferences would be entertaining.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105921

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 pm

where's Fat Sam?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11964

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:39 pm

Would he pick KP?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Nath wrote:where's Fat Sam?
Managing West Ham at the moment...

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:59 am

Was this part of the reason he was acting like a tit that day?

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-18
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:06 am

He's joking with that 72% figure surely? I mean it literally sounds like a parody.

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:29 am

taipan wrote:

Would he pick KP?

Not on current form!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am

vilkrang wrote:He's joking with that 72% figure surely? I mean it literally sounds like a parody.

The Chin has always been a parody
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 am

Nath wrote:where's Fat Sam?

In a pie shop somewhere in Nottingham
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:44 am

You can have Jason Roy and Jimmy Taylor in the side if you like. That's great if you're chasing a total down. But what about not letting the oppo get a decent score in the first place?

At the moment we have Jimmy bowling a nice tidy line and length........... for test cricket, Chris Jordan bowling something out of his right hand which may or may not pitch on the cut strip. And then there's Tredwell's non-turning off-breaks.

****** em all off. Finn and Broad to open, Stokes, Bopara, Moeen, Woakes to make up the difference.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by beamer Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:36 pm

We've got bugger all in the cupboard in bowling terms for ODI cricket. Square root of bugger all. We need to concentrate in finding a batting line-up that can score 350, that might give us a 72% chance of winning!

beamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:00 pm

Well we should play Finn for a start. I don't care if he can be a touch wayward, he takes wickets and wickets tend to bring the run rate down.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Henry wrote:Well we should play Finn for a start. I don't care if he can be a touch wayward, he takes wickets and wickets tend to bring the run rate down.
Agree.
Why the hell he was omitted (for Jordan FFS!!!) yesterday escapes me ...
also, why was Moeen Ali left out?
He proved that Indians aren't as accomplished against spin as they used to be, can bat a bit ...
yet he was dropped.
Three quicks (Jimmeh, Blowkes and Finn) and 2 spinners (Ali and Tredders) ought to do it.

The trouble is - England do not have any serious batting strength.
Fact.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Moeen should be opening the batting with Hales.

Remember the ODI series we played in the Caribbean back in March/April? We opened the batting with Moeen and Lumb and we actually got off to some pretty brisk starts. But it seems the success and signs of progress we had in that ODI series has quickly been forgotten for some reason.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Henry wrote:Moeen should be opening the batting with Hales.

Remember the ODI series we played in the Caribbean back in March/April? We opened the batting with Moeen and Lumb and we actually got off to some pretty brisk starts. But it seems the success and signs of progress we had in that ODI series has quickly been forgotten for some reason.

You also get another bowling option.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down