Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage]

+9
taipan
embee
furriner
JGK
Hass
horace
tricycle
LeFromage
PeterCS
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage] Empty Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage]

Post by PeterCS Wed 27 May 2015, 19:54

II have a few duplicate cricket books (the usual consequence of buying a couple of job lots), that I can't be bothered trying to sell.

Before I lug them down to one or other local charity shop, let me know, anyone, if you'd be interested in any of them. Some obviously older and more classic than others.

The catch is just that - postage being a pricey thing - it's only really worth doing if you can receive/collect them in the London area.

There's no catch in a "social obligation" sense: no meeting required. I'd drop 'em off at any accessible address you nominate. It's just to pass on another joy of cricket.

Google will find you info on any book you might possibly fancy in the list, but are not sure if you're interested.

Paperback, unless stated. Some of them quite small, "pocket books". The Fry biography however is a whopper. One or two "clearly used", but none in dog-eared condition. The corners of the Nichols (thankfully HB - hardback) are a bit "bumped": maybe someone used it as a ball, for bowling practice?

DELLO/FROMAGE: Can you make this thread self-destruct in a couple of weeks? It's not a keeper, it's just a temporary freecycle sort of thing.

John Arlott [various pieces] - The Essential Arlott on Cricket [2 copies]

John Arlott's Book of Cricketers

Richie Benaud - The Appeal of Cricket

Mike Brearley - The Art of Captaincy

Geoffrey Boycott - The Autobiography [2 copies (no unkind comments, please)]

Ralph Dellor, Stephen Lamb - Little Book of The Ashes (HB)

Jack Fingleton - Masters of Cricket. From Trumper To May (HB)

David Frith - Bodyline Autopsy

David Frith - The Golden Age of Cricket 1890-1914 [mainly photos] (HB)

Peter Hayter, The England Cricket Team - Ashes Victory [2005]

CLR James - Beyond a Boundary

Garth King - The Hansie Cronje Story

EV Lucas - Cricket All His Life

MS Nichols - Bowling [with flip photos!] (HB)

Graeme Swann - The Breaks Are Off (HB)

David Tossell - Following On. A Year With English Cricket's Golden Boys [or: What Became of the Winning U-19 Team of 1998?]

Fred Trueman - As It Was. Memoirs.

Ian Wilson - CB Fry. King of Sport

John Woodcock - The Times 100 Greatest Cricketers
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage] Empty Re: Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage]

Post by LeFromage Wed 27 May 2015, 21:27

It's like craigslist in here.

If you're going to start advertising sexual services, use PMs like the rest of us do.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage] Empty Re: Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage]

Post by PeterCS Wed 27 May 2015, 23:14

With the difference that the books are free. Of charge.

And obligation.

(And - while you're on sex - free of guilt too. Unless you're a guilty reader.)

And a PM presupposes you know who might want such a gift. I'd think a "PM circular" is a contradiction in terms, as well as spam.

But fair enough Jay - you can just delete the thread. Was just a thought. The charity shops can probably make some use of the books!
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Thu 28 May 2015, 02:02

Is Mumbai/Pune considered within striking distance of London?

Very nice collection there, Peter.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 28 May 2015, 02:41

great collection PCS..

I like the idea of giving books away to good homes and have done this a couple of times myself..

Good for you...

but keep CLR James...you will hopefully enjoy rereading it over time
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Thu 28 May 2015, 04:38

Hey Peter. I'm moving to London in July. I get there the day before the Third Ashes Test.

I'll be far away from my own collection of cricket books, which are about to be stored in a Sydney attic.

I wouldn't mind taking a few off your hands if you don't need to get rid of them immediately.

Hass

Books? - in striking area of London only, sorry. [w request to Dello/Fromage] MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 28 May 2015, 04:38

horace wrote:great collection PCS..

I like the idea of giving books away to good homes and have done this a couple of times myself..

Good for you...

These are all double ups aren't they. He won't be giving away his actual version.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Thu 28 May 2015, 04:40

Geoffrey Boycott - The Autobiography [2 copies (no unkind comments, please)]

What sort of depraved soul were you in a previous life to warrant getting 3 copies of GB's autobiography in this one?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Thu 28 May 2015, 06:05

tricycle wrote:Is Mumbai/Pune considered within striking distance of London?

F*ck off, I almost offered last night to pay postage to to ship to Delhi. And Delhi's where it's at.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 28 May 2015, 06:13

JGK wrote:
horace wrote:great collection PCS..

Good for you...

These are all double ups aren't they.  He won't be giving away his actual version.

stop thinking that horrie has logic and comprehension skills
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 28 May 2015, 06:17

and yet you barrack for the Tigers
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 28 May 2015, 06:17

...and yes I missed that they were double ups
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 28 May 2015, 06:28

horace wrote:...and yes I missed that they were double ups

Understandable that you lost concentration. It was the fifth word in the thread after all.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 28 May 2015, 06:35

taipan wrote:

Understandable that you lost concentration. It was the fifth word in the thread after all.

Did I just hear a squeak?

I just went to the list of books without reading the preamble
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 28 May 2015, 06:42

horace wrote:
taipan wrote:

Did I just hear a squeak?

I just went to the list of books without reading the preamble

So how did you know he was disposing of the books?

A tip. When in a hole, stop digging.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Thu 28 May 2015, 06:51

I bow to the meerkat pack's expertise on digging holes
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 May 2015, 06:57

I'll nab the Art of Captaincy please. I live near Finchley Road tube or if it's easier my work is near Regent's Park.

Any others you would highly recommend?

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 28 May 2015, 07:14

pm him vilks

you dont want Merls stalking you
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26215
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 May 2015, 07:40

Wouldn't post my address here, although there's probably only one poster who I would genuinely be slightly fearful of.

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 28 May 2015, 07:43

vilkrang wrote:Wouldn't post my address here, although there's probably only one poster who I would genuinely be slightly fearful of.

Tell more.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 28 May 2015, 08:19

Hass wrote:Hey Peter. I'm moving to London in July. I get there the day before the Third Ashes Test

coincidence - I also arrive that day, and will be at that game, at least on the weekend

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38112
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 28 May 2015, 09:02

vilkrang wrote:Wouldn't post my address here, although there's probably only one poster who I would genuinely be slightly fearful of.

The black helicopters are over his house. He doesn't control them. They're there for him and the truths he's telling.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Thu 28 May 2015, 09:23

furriner wrote:
tricycle wrote:Is Mumbai/Pune considered within striking distance of London?

F*ck off, I almost offered last night to pay postage to to ship to Delhi. And Delhi's where shit's at.
FTFY

I thought of paying the shipping, and it's the thought that counts....

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 28 May 2015, 10:31

taipan wrote:

Tell more.

Brass Monkey wrote:

The black helicopters are over his house. He doesn't control them. They're there for him and the truths he's telling.
There you go taips, although it's hardly rocket science.

He might be harmless, but he seems crazy enough that I wouldn't want to risk it.

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 28 May 2015, 10:35

And I thought it was Batman
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next