Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack

+21
PeterCS
Anniyan
PlanetPakistan
Josh Carney
bodyline
horace
Basil
Mick Sawyer
mynah
embee
Invader Zim
holcs
skully
bliksem
Brass Monkey
leg glancer
*Buckaroo*
freddled gruntbuggly
taipan
eowyn
Zat
25 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack Empty I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack

Post by Zat Wed 13 Feb 2008, 07:57

So said my doctor this morning.

Despite major dietary efforts for the last two years, I've got hypertriglyceridemia - which is a form of high cholesterol, apparently.

And to go with the doctor's words, here's what's now on the 'Foods to avoid' list:
  • Whole eggs, egg yolks
  • Whole milk and its products - butter, cream, cheese, ice-cream, yoghurt, condensed milk
  • Brains, liver, pate, liverwurst, kidney, sweetbread
  • Prawns, squid (calamari), fish roe, caviar, fish 'fingers', canned fish in oil (eg sardines)
  • Fatty meats - bacon, ham, sausages, salami, canned meats, pressed meats, meat pastes, hamburger mince
  • Duck, goose, skin of chicken and turkey, pressed chicken
  • Pies, pasties, pastries, cakes, doughnuts, biscuits
  • Fried chicken, chips, fish, dim sims, spring rolls, etc., hot dogs, pizzas, fried rice
  • Cashews, macadamia nuts, cocnut, roasted nuts, brazil nuts, peanuts, peanut butter (Can have in very small amounts)
  • Gravies, potato chips, caramel, chocolate (including carob), butterscotch, 'health food' bars, fudge, coffee whitener and other cream substitutes, toasted breakast cereals (especially with coconut)
  • Saturated fats - lard, dripping, suet, copha, cooking (hard) margarine, coconut and palm oils, mayonnaise
  • Fried foods, foods roasted in fat.

Wow. I'm looking forawrd to living on trhe cardboard boxes all the foods I like are packed in.

There is an accompanying list of 'Suitable foods' but it's just too depressing.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack Empty Re: I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack

Post by eowyn Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:01

So that's no more brains fried in lard with sweetbreads on the side for you for a mid morning snack then, Zatty....
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack Empty Re: I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack

Post by Zat Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:02

Yep.

Might as well be a freakin rabbit.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:04

Dandelion leaves and grass are on the 'good' list are they?

Poor thing No
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:05

The upside is that you will lose so much weight that they will start treating you for AIDS
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:12

Thanks (I think) taips.

Selected items from the 'Eat this' list...

Egg whites, cottage and ricotta cheese, bread, crumpets, almonds, canned spaghetti, alcohol (small amounts)...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:15

Anyway, pardon me, but Mrs Zat has cooked my dinner and I must go and eat now.

Rice. With a little bit of chicken.

Of course, she's having a nice Korma...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:23

That's ridiculous. Crumpets are worse for you than macadamia nuts. And most rice is high GI. Idiotic.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

I don't want to be treating you for stroke or heart attack 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:24

Crumpet is non fattening
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:25

High GI doesn't = high bad cholestoral levels.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:26

Yes, but the list definitely says crumpets. Maybe he's supposed to indulge in threesomes . . . though I'm sure the Mrs would have something to say about that . . .

Last edited by on Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:38; edited 1 time in total
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:27

eowyn wrote:High GI doesn't = high bad cholestoral levels.
No, but high GI foods are not usually the order of the day for people with potential heart problems. Besides, who can live on bloody rice?
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:30

the way you were going hyper I knew something was wrong ... tried my level best to restrain myself despite umpteen provocations.

I guess I was right after all ... well done me. *pats himself on the back*

btw check yourself for diabetes too .. sometimes cholesterol goes out of whack despite all self-control due to insulin issues.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:33

People did in Japanese prisoner of war camps, just.......

Low G.I. came about from improving diabetics diets and having foods that keep blood glucose levels at a more constant level, rather than having a quick surge and then low drop you get with High G.I. foods, the heart benefits are a side benefit.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:37

Aye, and I've seen the photos. Looks like Belsen.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:37

low G. I = pulses, brown rice, corn etc.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:40

By the way, Zatty, does the doc have you jogging around the block half a dozen times every morning as well?
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Back to top Go down

Post by leg glancer Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:47

Zat - All I can say is good luck! I hope your condition improves and quality of life is not given too much of a beating.
leg glancer
leg glancer

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2007-11-19
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:52

Jebus. A sad day that would be. F*ck it off. Just eat what you want.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:54

Actually a few days before a friend said that he had triglyceride levels of 350 despite being on a completely vegetarian, low G. I diet. His wife was very serious in restraining his diet etc and despite that it TGL didn't come down. It's then that the doctor suspected diabetes and checked insulin and bingo the fasting sugar levels were above normal.
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 13 Feb 2008, 08:59

Batfink Begins wrote:Jebus. A sad day that would be. F*ck it off. Just eat what you want.
Get stuffed, Danny. This world needs the Zatster.
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

Back to top Go down

Post by bliksem Wed 13 Feb 2008, 09:00

taipan wrote:Crumpet is non fattening

Indeed. I normally lose a bit of weight after an encounter with a nice bit of crumpet.
bliksem
bliksem

Number of posts : 1005

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 13 Feb 2008, 09:14

Zat wrote:So said my doctor this morning.

Despite major dietary efforts for the last two years, I've got hypertriglyceridemia - which is a form of high cholesterol, apparently.

And to go with the doctor's words, here's what's now on the 'Foods to avoid' list:
  • Whole eggs, egg yolks
  • Whole milk and its products - butter, cream, cheese, ice-cream, yoghurt, condensed milk
  • Brains, liver, pate, liverwurst, kidney, sweetbread
  • Prawns, squid (calamari), fish roe, caviar, fish 'fingers', canned fish in oil (eg sardines)
  • Fatty meats - bacon, ham, sausages, salami, canned meats, pressed meats, meat pastes, hamburger mince
  • Duck, goose, skin of chicken and turkey, pressed chicken
  • Pies, pasties, pastries, cakes, doughnuts, biscuits
  • Fried chicken, chips, fish, dim sims, spring rolls, etc., hot dogs, pizzas, fried rice
  • Cashews, macadamia nuts, cocnut, roasted nuts, brazil nuts, peanuts, peanut butter (Can have in very small amounts)
  • Gravies, potato chips, caramel, chocolate (including carob), butterscotch, 'health food' bars, fudge, coffee whitener and other cream substitutes, toasted breakast cereals (especially with coconut)
  • Saturated fats - lard, dripping, suet, copha, cooking (hard) margarine, coconut and palm oils, mayonnaise
  • Fried foods, foods roasted in fat.

Wow. I'm looking forawrd to living on trhe cardboard boxes all the foods I like are packed in.

There is an accompanying list of 'Suitable foods' but it's just too depressing.
Commiserations Zoggy. I too have high triglycerides. I went on the cardboard diet and it made fark all difference to my numbers over a 6 month period. So I fixed the problem by neglecting to have any more blood tests. I eat sensibly but be farked if I'm gonna give up all of life's pleasures and be picking Visy products out of my teeth for the rest of my life. A rollicking 75 years p!sses all over a tediously fastidious 80 years. [clinks red wine glass]
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105969
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 13 Feb 2008, 10:18

Well, thanks all for the nice words.

As the levels were basically off the chart - despite a pretty good (not exceptional) diet, the doc's words were a bit of a surprise. There's no diabetes, tests for that were normal.

The diet is something I'll have to live with.

I'm also on pills to bring it down.

But let me say this, Friday night, I'm off to the pub for what will probably be a last blast for quite a while!

And one thing that amused me was that they had the courtesy on the 'bad' list to include chocolate, but also had the decency to say that f*cking awful 'health nazi' product carob on it as well.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by holcs Wed 13 Feb 2008, 10:22

Zatty,

That list takes everything that is good in the world out of your diet....

Stick to it though mate, and then once your back on the chart again, it'll all taste so much better!

It'll be a cheap blow out at those prices at the RSL though mind.
holcs
holcs

Number of posts : 5481

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next