Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The return of Hansie

+6
DJ_Smerk
Brass Monkey
skully
Big_Bad_Bob
Red
taipan
10 posters

Go down

The return of Hansie Empty The return of Hansie

Post by taipan Thu 18 Sep 2008, 11:40

Controversial film ‘Hansie‘ premieres

Janine Oelofse GARDEN ROUTE BUREAU CHIEF

THE long-awaited movie Hansie, which details the life of former South African cricket captain Hansie Cronje, premiered in Johannesburg last night and will be released in the Eastern and Southern Cape next Wednesday.

Hansie‘s brother Frans, the man behind the R55-million project, said he believed the media had misrepresented his brother‘s story on many levels. “Someone needed to tell Hansie‘s story in an accurate, well-balanced way,” he said.

He also felt that many people needed closure on Hansie‘s life after the dramatic way in which he was removed from the international cricketing arena after appearing before the King Commission for match-fixing and his untimely death in a plane crash in the Outeniqua Mountains in 2002.

Danielle le Roux, a spokesman for the production company that made the film, Global Creative Studios, said yesterday that Hansie‘s family and his widow had seen screenings last week and although it was hard for them to watch the movie, they enjoyed it.

She said Frans was happy with the movie and felt he had achieved his aim to paint a more balanced picture of his iconic sibling.

“We sent a screening to Hansie‘s parents, Ewie and San- Marie, and his sister Hester, and they really enjoyed it. It was hard for them because they still miss him very much, but they commented especially on Frank Rautenbach‘s performance as Hansie.”

She said his widow, Bertha du Plessis, now remarried, had also seen a screening and had said she was proud of Frans for making the movie.

Bertha, who is portrayed by American actress Sarah Thomson, was not at her home in George and could not be reached for comment.

Le Roux said: “It was difficult for the family, but it‘s nice for them to have this movie about him and to turn a new page and go on.

“Frans really wanted to bring out the truth and make a balanced movie that showed Hansie not only as a hero, but a human being who had made a mistake.”

The movie follows Hansie‘s physical and inner journey in his rise to stardom, his fall from grace after being involved in match-fixing in India, and his journey to redemption before his death, aged 32.

Hansie captained the South African side during their re- emergence into the world sporting arena following the 1994 elections.

Following the match-fixing scandal he was banned for life.

Le Roux said: “Hansie was a hero but we‘re all human and we all make mistakes. It‘s not about how bad the mistake was, but what you do afterwards, how you stand up to it.

“This is a movie about grace. Hansie came clean, he turned a new page and went on, and that makes him even more of a hero in my eyes.”

She said the media response to the film had been positive and the public‘s renewed interest in Hansie‘s life was overwhelming.

However, former Proteas bowler Fanie de Villiers, a close friend to Hansie, hit out at the movie in an interview with Carte Blanche at the weekend.

De Villiers said: “I can‘t think family are happy with the movie. It opens up old wounds, it brings out the negative.”

At a pre-screening he said: “I think there was much more going on behind the scenes – it was obviously portrayed more towards Hansie‘s side.”
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

The return of Hansie Empty Re: The return of Hansie

Post by Red Thu 18 Sep 2008, 12:16

South Africans can't seem to put him to bed.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Thu 18 Sep 2008, 12:17

Red wrote:I'm obsessed with South Africans.

Fixeth.
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

The return of Hansie ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 18 Sep 2008, 12:37

Red wrote:South Africans can't seem to put him to bed.

Red in wanting to bed Hansie shock.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 18 Sep 2008, 14:29

Oh fark...

"Hansie‘s brother Frans, the man behind the R55-million project, said he believed the media had misrepresented his brother‘s story on many levels. “Someone needed to tell Hansie‘s story in an accurate, well-balanced way,” he said.

So I take it he is not portraited as a lying, cheating, thieving, money-hungry shyster who puts cash in front of country then?

FFS. Rolling Eyes
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105927

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 18 Sep 2008, 14:30

skully wrote:Oh fark...

"Hansie‘s brother Frans, the man behind the R55-million project, said he believed the media had misrepresented his brother‘s story on many levels. “Someone needed to tell Hansie‘s story in an accurate, well-balanced way,” he said.

So I take it he is not portraited as a lying, cheating, thieving, money-hungry shyster who puts cash in front of country then?

FFS. Rolling Eyes

No that is Hair.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 18 Sep 2008, 14:37

Ah shut-up, ya filthy Yarpie.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105927

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 18 Sep 2008, 14:40

skully wrote:Ah shut-up, ya filthy Yarpie.

Razz
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Bad_Bob Thu 18 Sep 2008, 14:44

skully wrote:Oh fark...

FFS. Rolling Eyes

About the same budget as an episode of Sesame Street then?
Big_Bad_Bob
Big_Bad_Bob

The return of Hansie ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3718
Registration date : 2007-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Thu 18 Sep 2008, 14:48

Big_Bad_Bob wrote:
About the same budget as an episode of Sesame Street then?

Laughing Laughing
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Thu 18 Sep 2008, 15:12

Elmo as Hansie?
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 18 Sep 2008, 18:14

I hope it's a better film than the awful Bodyline mini-series.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Thu 18 Sep 2008, 18:28

Basil wrote:I hope it's a better film than the awful Bodyline mini-series.

Everyone that I know who has seen this film has panned it
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9699
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 18 Sep 2008, 18:35

WideWally wrote:
Basil wrote:I hope it's a better film than the awful Bodyline mini-series.

Everyone that I know who has seen this film has panned it

The biggest tragedy was that David Puttnam was planning a movie about Bodyline at the time - the TV series put paid to that.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Thu 18 Sep 2008, 18:46

Actually I only know of one person that has seen the Cronje film. A bloke on another forum got to see the premiere but some of his comments were "Oh. My. God. Too horrible for words. Dire from a cricket perspective"

"As to the actual story - well, there isn't one. Random scenes stuck together for no good reason. I'd get more into it but I can't bear to. If you ever feel like seeing this, rather spend two hours sticking a fork into your eyeball. It'll be more entertaining and you'll gain more from the experience."

I don't think he was impressed.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9699
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Thu 18 Sep 2008, 18:48

WideWally wrote:Actually I only know of one person that has seen the Cronje film. A bloke on another forum got to see the premiere but some of his comments were "Oh. My. God. Too horrible for words. Dire from a cricket perspective"

"As to the actual story - well, there isn't one. Random scenes stuck together for no good reason. I'd get more into it but I can't bear to. If you ever feel like seeing this, rather spend two hours sticking a fork into your eyeball. It'll be more entertaining and you'll gain more from the experience."

I don't think he was impressed.

It just lacked credibility - the cricket scenes were laughable
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Fri 19 Sep 2008, 08:27

Hopefully one day we'll get a top quality, no-holds barred film on the life of Hansie Cronje.

His story certainly warrants it.

Americans have made countless films about Shoeless Joe Jackson, perhaps the Commonwealth could band together and make a film about the most tragic figure in the sport's history.

Wouldn't mind seeing a fair dinkum Bodyline move either (although the mini-series is a bit of fun from an Aussie perspective - Hugo Weaving is pure evil as Jardine).

Hass

The return of Hansie MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by mynah Sat 20 Sep 2008, 11:46

Problem with a subject like this is that anyone who can look at it completely objectively probably isn't really interested...
mynah
mynah

The return of Hansie APSeEpm

Number of posts : 3385
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down