Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SA names test squad to tour Australia.

+8
Nath
PlanetPakistan
embee
The One
JKLever
Chandan
jim rich
Red
12 posters

Go down

SA names test squad to tour Australia. Empty SA names test squad to tour Australia.

Post by Red Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:20

South Africa squad: Neil McKenzie, Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, AB de Villiers, Mark Boucher (wk), JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe and Monde Zondeki.

No Nel (injured), or Gibbs.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

SA names test squad to tour Australia. Empty Re: SA names test squad to tour Australia.

Post by jim rich Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:32

Surprised to see Albie Morkel's name missing. Guess he's being saved for the ODIs. Who is Lonwabo Tsotsobe?

Nel I believe is injured and Gibbs is probably in rehab or unwilling as he has to deliver 60% of his match fees to his wife.

jim rich

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-01
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

SA names test squad to tour Australia. Empty Re: SA names test squad to tour Australia.

Post by Red Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:35

jim rich wrote:Surprised to see Albie Morkel's name missing. Guess he's being saved for the ODIs. Who is Lonwabo Tsotsobe?

Nel I believe is injured and Gibbs is probably in rehab or unwilling as he has to deliver 60% of his match fees to his wife.

A 200 cm left arm swing bowler, probably coming to our shores to do an apprenticeship.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Chandan Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:43

Red wrote:South Africa squad: Neil McKenzie, Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, AB de Villiers, Mark Boucher (wk), JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe and Monde Zondeki.

I think Australia will steamroll this side. Smith and Kallis apart, batting seems quite mediocre and if enough runs won't be put on the board, I don't think even bowlers can bail the team out.

Spin is another thing that is missing but even Australia will have it missing.

The series should be interesting if Australian bowlers strike form as seem to be doing in the current test at Gabba.

Chandan

Number of posts : 1780
Registration date : 2007-09-01
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:47

If it's played on flat decks then I don't think Aus will steamroller them at all, Aus just don't have the bowling to do that against a good batting line up - and that top 7 is certainly decent.

And of course if their is juice, SA have the bowlers to exploit it.

I wasn't 'that' impressed by SA in England tbh, considering how gash we are England had too many chances to win throughout the series if this is a side hoping to win down under.

They'll have to step it up a good 20% from what we saw here
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:47

Chandan wrote:
Red wrote:South Africa squad: Neil McKenzie, Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, Ashwell Prince, AB de Villiers, Mark Boucher (wk), JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe and Monde Zondeki.

I think Australia will steamroll this side. Smith and Kallis apart, batting seems quite mediocre and if enough runs won't be put on the board, I don't think even bowlers can bail the team out.

The series should be interesting if Australian bowlers strike form as seem to be doing in the current test at Gabba.

Ironically enough, Kallis has probably had the worst 2009 out of all their batsmen, despite his reputation.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:50

JKLever wrote:If it's played on flat decks then I don't think Aus will steamroller them at all, Aus just don't have the bowling to do that against a good batting line up - and that top 7 is certainly decent.

And of course if their is juice, SA have the bowlers to exploit it.

I wasn't 'that' impressed by SA in England tbh, considering how gash we are England had too many chances to win throughout the series if this is a side hoping to win down under.

They'll have to step it up a good 20% from what we saw here

I agree, their batting was largely reliable but their bowlers performed below par. Morkel was threatening at times but too wild, while Ntini struggled a bit and Steyn was well below his best and then missed the last two tests through injury.
Red
Red

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Sat 22 Nov 2008, 13:55

Red wrote:Ironically enough, Kallis has probably had the worst 2009 out of all their batsmen, despite his reputation.

so, what are the winning numbers for next week's lottery?

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Sat 22 Nov 2008, 14:08

Chandan wrote:I think Australia will steamroll this side. Smith and Kallis apart, batting seems quite mediocre and if enough runs won't be put on the board, I don't think even bowlers can bail the team out.

Poor Paul Harris. He isn't going to like that at all. Besides, SA have been without a quality spinner ever since Nicky Boje left and with Australia's questionable strength in that dept., I think it pretty much evens things out.
The attack, though rusty, is good and the batting balanced.

jim rich

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Sat 22 Nov 2008, 14:53

"quality spinner" "Nicky Boje" ...far cough
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Sat 22 Nov 2008, 16:50

Nel will be missed for sure.

Hope Steyn is fully fit for all games, if not then SA are in trouble.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 22 Nov 2008, 21:14

Will Harris be fit? Heard he injured his thumb and is out for a few weeks?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11961
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sat 22 Nov 2008, 23:35

No surprises really. Bliks will be delighted with the inclusion of Robert Patterson.

No Boeta?

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Sun 23 Nov 2008, 10:48

What is the point in picking Peterson? Otherwise it's a good squad and if the bowlers get it together I'd actually give SA the edge.
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by *Buckaroo* Sun 23 Nov 2008, 12:17

Red wrote:
jim rich wrote:Surprised to see Albie Morkel's name missing. Guess he's being saved for the ODIs. Who is Lonwabo Tsotsobe?

A 200 cm left arm swing bowler, probably coming to our shores to do an apprenticeship.

tell me more about him ? Is he really quick ?
*Buckaroo*
*Buckaroo*

Number of posts : 4771
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

http://exc4cricket.forum-motion.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 24 Nov 2008, 06:39

Chandan wrote:I think Australia will steamroll this side. Smith and Kallis apart, batting seems quite mediocre and if enough runs won't be put on the board, I don't think even bowlers can bail the team out.

Quite true. Exactly the same mediocre batting line up that drew a series in India a few months back.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down