Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL?

+2
Chivalry Augustus
jim rich
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL? Empty T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL?

Post by jim rich Fri 22 May 2009, 10:47

The concept is English, yet it gets little attention in the country of its birth. I wonder where the problem lies:
a) spectator potential ?
b) commercial/financial (read multiple sponsorship) backup ?
c) international player flair ?
d) proper media coverage ?
e) tradition and affinity to conventional formats of cricket ?
May even be a mixed bag of all the above. I enjoy all the three formats although I must admit, at the moment, there is an overdose of the shortest version. Wonder whether the WC in England will suffer from spectator fatigue.

jim rich

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-09-01
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL? Empty Re: T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL?

Post by Chivalry Augustus Fri 22 May 2009, 10:49

The World Twenty20 will suffer from having too many shit teams in it. The group stages are absolutely pointless.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL? Empty Re: T20 - an exclusive domain for the IPL?

Post by jim rich Fri 22 May 2009, 10:55

Agree. Eight teams in a round-robin format would have been short and sweet.

jim rich

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 11:03

Chivalry Augustus wrote:The World Twenty20 will suffer from having too many shit teams in it. The group stages are absolutely pointless.

Though at least...

a) The games theoretically become closer once you limit the overs.
b) It's over quickly.

As for Jims original question - I believe the apathy here is because there is no emotional attachment to any of the IPL teams. If it were Essex v Deccan then I would become more involved. As it is the actual results mean absolutely zip to me personally, which surely is the whole basis for sport? That it matters... it holds as much interest as Queensland v Victoria for me - with the only proviso being that I will take an interest when any English players play... I was interested to see Essex's Bopara & Napier play (as it happened he didn't even get a game) but my interest nose dived when they returned.

I think you're wrong Jim to say T20 isn't well supported - the grounds are full given good weather, but its people going along for a quick piss up/laugh rather than for the cricket.

There's nothing wrong with T20, I just immediately hate anything that threatens test cricket.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Fri 22 May 2009, 11:17

JKLever wrote:As for Jims original question - I believe the apathy here is because there is no emotional attachment to any of the IPL teams. If it were Essex v Deccan then I would become more involved. As it is the actual results mean absolutely zip to me personally, which surely is the whole basis for sport? That it matters... it holds as much interest as Queensland v Victoria for me - with the only proviso being that I will take an interest when any English players play... I was interested to see Essex's Bopara & Napier play (as it happened he didn't even get a game) but my interest nose dived when they returned.

I think you're wrong Jim to say T20 isn't well supported - the grounds are full given good weather, but its people going along for a quick piss up/laugh rather than for the cricket.

There's nothing wrong with T20, I just immediately hate anything that threatens test cricket.
That's the point, JKL, I can't seem to understand why it should threaten test cricket. One doesn't preclude the other.

From a human standpoint, there is understandable truth in what you say. By all accounts it should be fan-driven. Yet the organisers in SA speak differently and the full houses speak for themselves.

I was just reading an article in cricinfo today that alluded to ticket sales for the upcoming T20 season. Most clubs seem to be worried.

jim rich

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 22 May 2009, 11:19

jim rich wrote:
JKLever wrote:As for Jims original question - I believe the apathy here is because there is no emotional attachment to any of the IPL teams. If it were Essex v Deccan then I would become more involved. As it is the actual results mean absolutely zip to me personally, which surely is the whole basis for sport? That it matters... it holds as much interest as Queensland v Victoria for me - with the only proviso being that I will take an interest when any English players play... I was interested to see Essex's Bopara & Napier play (as it happened he didn't even get a game) but my interest nose dived when they returned.

That's the point, JKL, I can't seem to understand why it should threaten test cricket. One doesn't preclude the other.

From a human standpoint, there is understandable truth in what you say. By all accounts it should be fan-driven. Yet the organisers in SA speak differently and the full houses speak for themselves.

I was just reading an article in cricinfo today that alluded to ticket sales for the upcoming T20 season. Most clubs seem to be worried.

the present West Indian tour?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Fri 22 May 2009, 11:24

What about it, taipan?
What Gayle says doesn't account for WI cricket. Personally, I think he's just weary of 5 day games and needs to go to a prolonged conditioning camp.

jim rich

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 11:26

jim rich wrote:

Money.

If players get greedy and prefer the paycheck over the highest form of the game then test cricket is certainly threatened.

TO would love it. Endless 6's & 4's .....weeeeee....woooooo..... No more Graham Gooch 153* against the WI, one of the finest innings I ever saw and totally impossible in T20/IPL.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 22 May 2009, 11:27

jim rich wrote:
What about it, taipan?
What Gayle says doesn't account for WI cricket. Personally, I think he's just weary of 5 day games and needs to go to a prolonged conditioning camp.

He wasn't the only one involved.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 11:31

Dwayne Bravo clearly skipped test cricket to chase the greenbacks...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Fri 22 May 2009, 11:37

JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

Money.

If players get greedy and prefer the paycheck over the highest form of the game then test cricket is certainly threatened.

TO would love it. Endless 6's & 4's .....weeeeee....woooooo..... No more Graham Gooch 153* against the WI, one of the finest innings I ever saw and totally impossible in T20/IPL.

That's one way of looking at it. But with a shelf-life of 10 max. 12 years, one can't really blame cricketers for making choices. Having said that, I do think most successful cricketers realise that the road to T20 wealth leads through test cricket. I'm sure you'll agree that fielding standards, running between the wickets, efficient batting, etc have improved due to the T20 format and that test cricket has profited from it.

jim rich

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 22 May 2009, 11:40

jim rich wrote:
JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

Money.

That's one way of looking at it. But with a shelf-life of 10 max. 12 years, one can't really blame cricketers for making choices. Having said that, I do think most successful cricketers realise that the road to T20 wealth leads through test cricket. I'm sure you'll agree that fielding standards, running between the wickets, efficient batting, etc have improved due to the T20 format and that test cricket has profited from it.

Some of that is valid but ODI's had already improved fielding.

Some of the fielding in the IPL has been pisspoor.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 11:45

I don't blame the players. If you're offered quadruple your pay for a tenth of the work, you take it.

I blame IPL rather than T20, which in itself isn't a threat. It's the obscene amount of money that is the threat.

We'll eventually have to find a window just to placate a greedy domestic board who has sh!t all over world cricket.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Fri 22 May 2009, 11:58

We'll eventually have to find a window just to placate a greedy domestic board who has sh!t all over world cricket.
Why does the ECB want to emulate it then, JKL?
Put yourself in the same business scenario. What would you do? BTW, as an annual by-product of the greedy domestic board, over a 100, otherwise unrecognised youth, have started making a living out of the sport that would enable them to play test cricket for their home country. And its not necessarily only the Indian youth. Many foreign youngsters are profiting from the IPL too.

Maybe one should consider renaming the IPL - International Premier League.

jim rich

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 12:36

jim rich wrote:

Greed, again. I'll say the same about them the minute any 'EPL' starts affecting test cricket.

There simply needs to be an edict from the IPL which would make them more moral in my view and that is that whilst a country is involved in a test series, none of its players contracted to their boards can play IPL.

Would cut out the chasing of cash over test caps.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 22 May 2009, 12:41

JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

Greed, again. I'll say the same about them the minute any 'EPL' starts affecting test cricket.

There simply needs to be an edict from the IPL which would make them more moral in my view and that is that whilst a country is involved in a test series, none of its players contracted to their boards can play IPL.

Or as I keep saying create an annual window for T20 when no tests are played.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 22 May 2009, 12:41

JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

I was just going to say Giles Clarke is a superqunt.

But you go ahead and take the low road Lever......
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 12:46

Brass Monkey wrote:
JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

I was just going to say Giles Clarke is a superqunt.

But you go ahead and take the low road Lever......

Hell yeah, my BCCI bashing in way means Giles Clarke doesn't have a slappable face...
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 22 May 2009, 12:48

Slappable face?

He's got slappable ethics and a slappable lack of interest of what's good for cricket.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 12:48

taipan wrote:
JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

Or as I keep saying create an annual window for T20 when no tests are played.

Which is what I said Taips, we'll eventually need to cater for the greed of a domestic board who has no thought of the welfare of cricket as a whole.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 22 May 2009, 12:49

Brass Monkey wrote:Slappable face?

He's got slappable ethics and a slappable lack of interest of what's good for cricket.

No disagreeing there, though his decisions only fark up English cricket. Modi is bringing quntishness to the whole cricketing world.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Fri 22 May 2009, 12:59

JKLever wrote:
No disagreeing there, though his decisions only fark up English cricket. Modi is bringing quntishness to the whole cricketing world.

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that. Modi is pretty much the Devil, except he's probably F'in him in the A so he's like the Superdevil - he's an evil mothaphucka who posseses longer horns and rides a badass hog and can fly. He is at least 6 inches taller then the regular devil, and he carries a jug of marmalade that forces you to commit adultary.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Fri 22 May 2009, 13:07

JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

Money.

lol! ipl cant survive without international cricket and it knows it a bit too well. i dont think most indians would see a longer league as well, match fatigue can set it in pretty quickly in cricket tournaments. look at the last world cup, it went on forever

a one month window would take care of everything, letting players make their money in the ipl and their name in tests. this is a simple proposal put forward by every sane person connected to cricket. its for the various country boards to work that out for the next ftp

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Fri 22 May 2009, 13:09

The One wrote:
JKLever wrote:
jim rich wrote:

Money.

lol! ipl cant survive without international cricket and it knows it a bit too well. i dont think most indians would see a longer league as well, match fatigue can set it in pretty quickly in cricket tournaments. look at the last world cup, it went on forever

a one month window would take care of everything, letting players make their money in the ipl and their name in tests. this is a simple proposal put forward by every sane person connected to cricket. its for the various country boards to work that out for the next ftp

Isn't the IPL 6 weeks long?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by jim rich Fri 22 May 2009, 13:25

The One wrote:lol! ipl cant survive without international cricket and it knows it a bit too well. i dont think most indians would see a longer league as well, match fatigue can set it in pretty quickly in cricket tournaments. look at the last world cup, it went on forever

Its basically left to the ICC to create that window. It can't be done to accomodate the whims of the ICC. Its got to be done in a measure of time that suits the domestic market which in turn will allow both the domestic and international cricketers to profit most from it.

I also feel this competition between different countries, all trying to emulate the IPL, isn't going to work. If the ICC were to leave a window open for all PLs, they'd have no time for anything else. The originally planned World Series, which did not materialise last year, would be the ideal solution for international club cricket.

jim rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next