Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever!

+21
DJ_Smerk
filosofee
Henry
horace
Josh Carney
skully
Brass Monkey
ten years after
Merlin
WideWally
Bradman
SG
The One
peterg
Winkle Spinner
JGK
PeterCS
WIFAN
lardbucket
JKLever
PlanetPakistan
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever! Empty Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever!

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 25 Aug 2009, 21:41

Don't think many will disagree that W Indian have produced the GREATEST fast bowlers out of any of the 10 test playing "countries".

My fav is probably Micheal Holding AKA whispering death!
Supremely quick, rhythmical and absolutely devastating on his day. Imran Khan rated Holding as the finest fast bowler of the late 70s-80s era.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever! Empty Re: Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever!

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 25 Aug 2009, 21:42

I think you can find some of the clips of his performance in ENG in 1976- brilliant stuff on very flat pitches.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever! Empty Re: Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever!

Post by Guest Tue 25 Aug 2009, 22:00

Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen the 70s and 80s paceman which means I'll basically have to choose between Walsh and Ambrose.

I'll probably go with Curtly.

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 25 Aug 2009, 22:02

Sylvester Clarke, scaring the sh!t out of batsmen whilst sporting a beer belly.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Tue 25 Aug 2009, 22:07

vilkrang wrote:Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen the 70s and 80s paceman which means I'll basically have to choose between Walsh and Ambrose.

Curtly was great but i felt near the end of his career he was merely putting the ball on a good length and relying almost SOLELY on his stature.
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Aug 2009, 22:08

PlanetPakistan wrote:
vilkrang wrote:Unfortunately I'm too young to have seen the 70s and 80s paceman which means I'll basically have to choose between Walsh and Ambrose.

Curtly was great but i felt near the end of his career he was merely putting the ball on a good length and relying almost SOLELY on his stature.
Could have tossed a coin to be honest, Walsh was awesome as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 25 Aug 2009, 22:17

Andy Roberts

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Tue 25 Aug 2009, 22:25

We had a Windian at Essex when I watched my first season of county cricket in the 80's called Nobby Philip.

Cool dude.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Aug 2009, 22:36

Marshall. Absolutely terrifying pace when he was younger; swung and cut it both ways at good speed when he was older.

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Tue 25 Aug 2009, 23:03

Spot on Rob. Malcolm Marshall easily. Not even close IMHO. He made up for his lack of height with every other weapon a fast bowler could wish for.

Curtly was my 2nd favorite, especially when he got angry.

Current favorite is Jerome Taylor who is reminiscent of the greats of old when he's on song (unfortunately that is only 4/5 times in his entire career so far).
WIFAN
WIFAN

Your favorite West Indian fast bowler ever! 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Aug 2009, 23:24

Will you mean 1/5 right?

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 26 Aug 2009, 00:24

Gladstone Small.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 26 Aug 2009, 00:44

Maco was undoubtedly the best of them (and a champion bloke too). I loved Ambrose as well (even though he regularly destroyed us).

But for me Joel Garner was the bowling icon of the great West Indian era. When he came in to bowl I used to think "how the fark could anyone actually survive batting against this guy". When the likes of Holding and Walsh came on after him it signalled some respite for the batsman!

He's by far the best JAMODI bowler ever as well.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Winkle Spinner Wed 26 Aug 2009, 00:48

Definitely Ambrose, partly cause he was massive and terrifying and had a beautiful action, but also cause he's in a reggae band called the big bad dred and the baldhead. I do love me a bit of reggae.

Winkle Spinner
Winkle Spinner

Number of posts : 953
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Wed 26 Aug 2009, 01:33

Some are answering "favourite", some appear to be stating "best".

On the second, apple - orange - scuttle - teapot
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by peterg Wed 26 Aug 2009, 02:36

Marshall was the best, but Holding the most pleasing to watch.

Years ago Hall was good value, a lovable man
He had the guts to pont out to Robert Menzies - Australian PM - that the latter's immigration pokicy would debar the much celebrated West Indians the right to settle in Australia

peterg

Number of posts : 377

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Wed 26 Aug 2009, 04:36

out of the ones i have seen live - amby. loved his run-up, his wrist bands and the way he raised his arm just before delivery

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Wed 26 Aug 2009, 05:56

Mine would be Marshall.

Breathtaking and flawless bowling action, delivery stride, everything was so right about his bowling.

Ambrose also was very very good to watch. So accurate and almost flawless.

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 26 Aug 2009, 06:04

Favourite Andy (creature of my time); best in my time Curtley.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Wed 26 Aug 2009, 11:12

The best would be Malcolm Marshall but my favourites were Andy Roberts, Curtley Ambrose & the mighty Queenslander Wes Hall.

Special mention also to the first West Indian fast bowler I ever saw. I had gone to Kensington Oval with horace to watch Barbados play against AA Priestly's touring team. We saw the great Clifford Goodman rip the heart out of Priestly's XI. He was an amazing bowler. I remember every time a batsman would trudge off the field, horrie would put down his gin & tonic, walk over to the fence & yell out "No concept". That season we also saw another outstanding paceman, Joseph "Float" Woods from Trinidad. He also made a mess of Priestly's team.

Good times.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9701
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Wed 26 Aug 2009, 11:29

Malcolm Marshall.

For his skill, versatility, sportsmanship and his humour, both on and off the field.

The complete sportsman.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by ten years after Wed 26 Aug 2009, 13:51

Holding for me. No argument that Marshall was the best, but Holding brought ballet to the cricket.

As someone on this forum commented with regard to the famous picture of Holding kicking a Kiwi stump out of the ground in a moment of pique - "he even spat the dummy gracefully".

Also, since I first heard about him, Manny Martindale has always been a bit of a favourite. It would be nice if there was some decent film footage of him around.

ten years after

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2007-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 26 Aug 2009, 13:58

Ambrose for me, saw him basically every week. Can barely remember a spell where he got carted. Such pace, accuracy and hostility. Doubt there'll be one like him again.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Aug 2009, 02:15

amby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 30 Aug 2009, 06:42

Didn't Holding turn down a place on the Olmpics 400m hurdles team?
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next