Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the current level of forummers cricket interest?

+29
simkat
Josh Carney
Hass
DJ_Smerk
Basil
Nath
Brass Monkey
Merlin
horace
Big Dog
eowyn
skully
lardbucket
furriner
doctorspin
PlanetPakistan
Red
The One
mynah
Invader Zim
taipan
beamer
Fred Nerk
PeterCS
WideWally
Eric Air Emu
Bradman
JKLever
Batman
33 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What is the current level of forummers cricket interest? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the current level of forummers cricket interest?

Post by Bradman Sun 18 Oct 2009, 08:10

And squared again.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

What is the current level of forummers cricket interest? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the current level of forummers cricket interest?

Post by eowyn Sun 18 Oct 2009, 09:35

Wally, $50 Aus is on it's way, I want Queensland but Bradman needs to be my host or I'm not playing (no offense intended to Mick).
eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Sun 18 Oct 2009, 09:41

eowyn wrote:Wally, $50 Aus is on it's way, I want Queensland but Bradman needs to be my host or I'm not playing (no offense intended to Mick).

Can you ride a horse and are you as ugly as sin? My wife has a jealous streak a mile wide.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Sun 18 Oct 2009, 12:53

I thought Amge would hedge her bets with 50 bucks on Skully's Dubber ass.
PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 18 Oct 2009, 13:07

Perhaps Ange has heard about Queenslanders being slow ... it could be a good thing.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38105
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Mon 19 Oct 2009, 08:04

I'll watch anything but 20/20. I have no interest whatsoever in this format. Its the dumbing down of a great game to a degree where little or no skill is involved. All the emphasis is on the batsmen (shutee eye & hitee hard) & the bowlers are irrelevant, in fact, they may as well have a bowling machine at each end. The winners are basically just a fluke depending on which team got lucky on the night.

Give me 'real' cricket anytime.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 19 Oct 2009, 08:13

what Big Dog said....tho admit to some laughs at the banindians and english not making the semis..

I feel more interested now that the domestic season has started and think it will be tight and competitive
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 19 Oct 2009, 08:24

HUGE.

I've just been given the recently released 3 disc DVD of the 2009 Ashes!

Excellent viewing with a glass of Malt and a Davidoff cigar.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : afg

Back to top Go down

Post by Batman Mon 19 Oct 2009, 10:48

Merlin wrote:HUGE.

I've just been given the recently released 3 disc DVD of the 2009 Ashes!

Excellent viewing with a glass of Malt and a Davidoff cigar.

Can I tempt you with a DVD set of the last Ashes down under Freddie?
Wink
Batman
Batman

Number of posts : 8881
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 19 Oct 2009, 12:18

Hmmmm. Fleeting watches of the T20, I actually watched quite a bit of the T&T game where Pollard rinsed it proper. Good stuff. Otherwise, it's been highlights of that. I watched a reasonable amount of the ICCCCCTTTT thing. Bit shite though. Any Test series and I'm there.

Never really thought about the Ashes 2009 DVD. I don't know why, I expect the sub-par calibre of the England team is a largeish reason. No doubts I'll get it for Christmas. Still, there's only so many times you can watch a couple of waves of individual brilliance IMO - then you have to watch a bunch of clowns be f*cking gutless or ridiculously inept in between.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Mon 19 Oct 2009, 12:57

slight interest (I keep up with all the news). Not watching the games. Zero interest in the upcoming JAMODIs b/w India and Australia
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11971

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 19 Oct 2009, 16:26

So the general consensus is that forummers are suffering from cricket overkill of the crap kind?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Mon 19 Oct 2009, 18:27

Yes. I'm heartily sick of it. Perhaps I'm just growing old, grumbling at these 'new fangled' trends and yarning on about the 'good old days'. But I'm sick of it.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 19 Oct 2009, 19:44

I'd kill for even a NZ V Bangles test at the moment - just to relieve the torpor of this moronic Champions League.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Oct 2009, 00:05

furriner wrote:Yes. I'm heartily sick of it. Perhaps I'm just growing old, grumbling at these 'new fangled' trends and yarning on about the 'good old days'. But I'm sick of it.

sage comment from furri
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 20 Oct 2009, 00:13

Basil wrote:I'd kill for even a NZ V Bangles test at the moment - just to relieve the torpor of this moronic Champions League.

I hear ya.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Hass Tue 20 Oct 2009, 00:28

I haven't posted in a cricket match thread since the Champions Trophy and even then I only posted a couple of times.

My level of interest is extremely low. This Champions League could be interesting if I hadn't already been exposed to too much junk food cricket already this year.

I like the idea of states/counties from different countries playing against each other... but I'd prefer they were playing First-Class cricket.

Hass

What is the current level of forummers cricket interest? - Page 2 MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2401
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by Josh Carney Tue 20 Oct 2009, 00:36

Something good may be coming out of this overdose. A couple of my younger relatives in India who were so hooked on to the IPL hype are now querying it rather seriously. Talking about teenagers or thereabouts here and found it refreshing to hear them say that IPL or other T-20 bashes can never be a substitute for International comps.

The TV ratings for the Champions league has been abyssmal that was even before the Indian teams got knocked out.

JAMODIs they may be but I expect good TV ratings and ground crowds for the Ind - Aus ODIs.

Plus this will potentially put paid to Crazy MODI's dreams of two IPLs per year.

Josh Carney

Number of posts : 1751

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Tue 20 Oct 2009, 01:29

interesting...the crowds are also near non existant
horace
horace

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Tue 20 Oct 2009, 01:34

It just goes to show, no matter how much money you plug into something, if its not what the audience are after, it won't work.

Generally, in the sub-continent the crowds are overly-bias on most occasions. Jason Gillespie didn't even get a titter for his 200 in Bangladesh.

Weirdly in India, during Test cricket they are quite supportive when good Cricket is played. Maybe it's a sign.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by simkat Tue 20 Oct 2009, 04:42

The only T20 matches I've watched are the ones when the Blues are playing - I love that team but I only get to see them once a year when they play in Perth. Watching them play in the CL has been so exciting for me. Apart from that, I don't watch any T20 and haven't done so since the first IPL season (where I quite enjoyed seeing the mixed-up teams, although the novelty wore off quickly). I don't like T20 because I mainly watch cricket for the classic cricket shots and ebb and flow.

I gave up watching one-day cricket when SA were here last year. After a couple of matches, my interest just disappeared completely. I initially thought ditching the tri-series format was a good idea, but in practice it didn't work for me. It's when I started viewing them as JAMODIs. I also think it's tied in with my dislike for T20.

Test cricket - my interest is still as high as ever which is pretty damn high! I try and watch every ball of every test match, and when I had Foxsports, in a previous life, I would also watch all the o/s test series as well. I think of (or talk about if I can find some RL victims) test cricket every day of the year, and live for the summer of cricket to roll around. I also record matches during the summer so I can play them throughout the long cold winter of crap football. I don't sit and watch every ball again, but I like to have it on in the background as I go about my day.

Unfortunately, the test matches are played so close together these days that I'm probably going to have to give the odd session a miss soon just to get normal things done. No

I love the NSW Blues and have followed them for a long time. Unfortunately, I don't have Foxsports but I follow most of their matches on live-scores. I look forward to their matches in Perth as much as I look forward to a test match. The Warriors v Blues Shield match in Perth is the highlight of my summer. I try to keep up with what all the other States are doing too, but the majority of the players from the other teams aren't overly familiar to me at the moment. I'm looking forward to catching the other States play when they visit Perth this year.

I believe that T20 will die in the arse eventually and everything will get back to normal. However, if anyone messes with the current format of a test match, I will be getting very cranky - leave my test matches the frack alone Evil or Very Mad

That is all.
simkat
simkat

Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2008-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 20 Oct 2009, 07:27

simkat wrote: However, if anyone messes with the current format of a test match, I will be getting very cranky - leave my test matches the frack alone Evil or Very Mad

Here's an idea. Why don't we have day/night test matches with a pink ball?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Tue 20 Oct 2009, 08:51

Big Dog wrote:I'll watch anything but 20/20. I have no interest whatsoever in this format. Its the dumbing down of a great game to a degree where little or no skill is involved. All the emphasis is on the batsmen (shutee eye & hitee hard) & the bowlers are irrelevant, in fact, they may as well have a bowling machine at each end. The winners are basically just a fluke depending on which team got lucky on the night.

Give me 'real' cricket anytime.

I endorse the comments about it being fluky and not real cricket etc. but I would contest the notion that it's merely a batsmen's game. Average scores are increasingly heading south as bowlers work out what deliveries to bowl at the death, how to minimise scoring and so on. And if, as is becoming more of a trend, curators prepare pitches which are hard to score on,or which are conducive to good seam bowling, the bowlers are actually favoured as the batsmen have no time to worry about survival or play themselves in.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 20 Oct 2009, 12:27

I think I lied... I reckon I've seen highlights from about 80% of the CL matches. Saying that, they're condensed into such a small package that even kids with ADHD who've just eaten a box of red smarties and caned two cans of coke could put up with it.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterCS Tue 20 Oct 2009, 12:39

PeterCS
PeterCS

Number of posts : 43743
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next