Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smerk - Protest the Hero

+3
Brass Monkey
Chivalry Augustus
DJ_Smerk
7 posters

Go down

Smerk - Protest the Hero Empty Smerk - Protest the Hero

Post by Guest Fri 05 Feb 2010, 20:09

I was put off by their abysmal choice of name.

But they are pretty good; reminds me of Mastodon.

Never judge a band by their name I suppose (unless it's Fall Out Boy or Panic! At The Disco - still can't tell them apart - it's like putting two dog shits next to each other and asking someone to pick the better one).

Back to top Go down

Smerk - Protest the Hero Empty Re: Smerk - Protest the Hero

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 05 Feb 2010, 20:19

Haha, epic.

Yeah, I suppose, but I like the name. Listened to them for a few years now, although I missed their UK tour. No

I think the main question to ask is:

Kezia or Fortress?

Both are amazingly crafted albums, but Blood Meat on Fortress sways my decision. The last verse is outstanding, and Rody Walker has some serious talent - both in singing and screaming. Saying that all of them have huge talent. Those Riffs. Shocked
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Number of posts : 15938
Registration date : 2007-09-08
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 05 Feb 2010, 20:24

Not taking anything away from Kezia. It's a really tough question.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Fri 05 Feb 2010, 20:56

Oh shut up smerky. Do you know what pisses me off about people like you, other than your welshness? It's your musical taste. You're always into this band or that with some edgy name, and they'll probably always claim they're not gunning for mainstream whilst they're nailing their weird little number in the groupie van. And then they'll have fans like you what self-harm or don't self-harm - either way you'll be boasting about it - who 'saw them first.' And in-between your going to these gay ickle gigs and buying their t-shirts and their albums and hugging them on facebook you'll be sneering down your face at other people who don't have any musical taste, who like the latest black man what raps fast and thinks he's it. No doubt you reckons they're shit. Now this is the problem with this generation, they don't have a proper appreciation of music. They think Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Grieg, Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, Strauss et al are gay 'cause their boyfriends used to tell them it was so when they were in their little shit pit schools. And they don't have a proper eclectic appreciation of music because they're annoying welsh folk just like yourself. I HATE THEM. But apart from that you're alright, aite?
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Smerk - Protest the Hero Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 05 Feb 2010, 21:20

Brilliant. (Genuinely a good post).

I see what you mean about the "who 'saw them first' ", argument.

I can't take a liking to people who refer to themselves as the first 'fan' of a band. Using expressions like "I was there from the start" - technically you'd have to be in the actual band to be there from the beginning. I wasn't there from the start, I just enjoy listening to their music. I have little to no knowledge of the intricacies of making music, and even less on playing instruments.

If it helps I enjoy classical music:

Bizet: Carmen Suite #1 - Prelude - Aragonais - Pierre Carbidier: French National Radio Orchestra

Tritsch Tratsch Polka - Hamburg Symphony Orchestra

I know it isn't many, but copy and pasting from iTunes is frustrating.

I also like Fleetwood Mac. *Braces for the shit to hit the fan*.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Fri 05 Feb 2010, 21:27

If you're looking for some good acoustic music, check out Andy McKee and Cavatina from The Deer Hunter by John Williams.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2010, 14:30

I really know nothing about them, only listened to them for a couple of weeks! I think I shall be purchasing Fortress though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 06 Feb 2010, 14:36

Chivalry Augustus wrote:Oh shut up smerky. Do you know what pisses me off about people like you, other than your welshness? It's your musical taste. You're always into this band or that with some edgy name, and they'll probably always claim they're not gunning for mainstream whilst they're nailing their weird little number in the groupie van. And then they'll have fans like you what self-harm or don't self-harm - either way you'll be boasting about it - who 'saw them first.' And in-between your going to these gay ickle gigs and buying their t-shirts and their albums and hugging them on facebook you'll be sneering down your face at other people who don't have any musical taste, who like the latest black man what raps fast and thinks he's it. No doubt you reckons they're shit. Now this is the problem with this generation, they don't have a proper appreciation of music. They think Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi, Grieg, Rachmaninov, Stravinsky, Strauss et al are gay 'cause their boyfriends used to tell them it was so when they were in their little shit pit schools. And they don't have a proper eclectic appreciation of music because they're annoying welsh folk just like yourself. I HATE THEM. But apart from that you're alright, aite?

Ahh... things were better in your day eh Gus?

You'd probably find that most metallers have at least a passing appreciation for classical music. Actually metal and classical have a few things in common.

You're damn right I sneer and look down on people with other tastes. I hate the fact that people just listen to whatever radio and TV tell them to. It's all written so that drunken slags can dance like hookers and pretend to be lesbians so that they can pick up a retarded, Sun-reading, Corsa-driving dickbag chav, who will only fu<k them and run away leaving them with a bun in the oven.

I'm not against other forms of music at all, I actually respect people who are really into other genres and know their shit. I'm against the idiots who can't think for themselves

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 08 Feb 2010, 13:06

Well, as I see it, you've got to pick your botards. Yes, Mr. A from Twatsville will annoy you a little, because he likes some faceless producer who gets a bird to do a softcore vid and then release it, or Mr. B who is supposed to be nihilistic yet is more elitist than all of 'the townies' put together - Miss C. she's one of the worst, she likes the female empowering lyrics and jaunty 'hook' that it goes to, which encourages her to act like complete idiots and all 'teamy' with her friends.

Who's to say they aren't better than you or I? I think we're veering towards fascism right here on this thread.

Leave people alone!
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlin Mon 08 Feb 2010, 13:12

Racist thread developing I fear.

Merlin

Number of posts : 14718
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Feb 2010, 20:16

Merlin wrote:Racist thread developing I fear.

I'm going to have to report you. And give you a neg-rep. And whine to Dello.

And I'm going to post you a month old dead fish.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 08 Feb 2010, 20:19

Brass Monkey wrote:Well, as I see it, you've got to pick your botards. Yes, Mr. A from Twatsville will annoy you a little, because he likes some faceless producer who gets a bird to do a softcore vid and then release it, or Mr. B who is supposed to be nihilistic yet is more elitist than all of 'the townies' put together - Miss C. she's one of the worst, she likes the female empowering lyrics and jaunty 'hook' that it goes to, which encourages her to act like complete idiots and all 'teamy' with her friends.

Who's to say they aren't better than you or I? I think we're veering towards fascism right here on this thread.

Leave people alone!

I suppose I just get upset that people don't see through these things. Or maybe they do, and don't care.

It's probably better that people don't like "that horrible tuneless noise with shouting and swearing" anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 08 Feb 2010, 22:02

Protest the Hero are exceptional.
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by Chivalry Augustus Mon 08 Feb 2010, 22:02

Look, I just don't like folk what think their music is good and everyone else's is shit 'cause they say so. It's the most common thing you'll here from music snobs everywhere, be they blood munchers or wannabe blacks, they all reckon their music is the shit and everyone else's is garbage. Well, you're all wrong, there's no accounting for taste. If someone likes it and gets high on it then it's a job well done and I applaud all musicians who can get someone hyped. Ain't nothing wrong with any of it. No such thing as music being gay either. It's all a bit of fun. When I hear something I don't like I move on. So somebody else likes it? Good for them. I hate these musical trends as well. I hate that people who began listening to a band after they made it apparently aren't worthy of listening to them. It's all tripe.
Chivalry Augustus
Chivalry Augustus

Smerk - Protest the Hero Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4864

Back to top Go down

Post by DJ_Smerk Mon 08 Feb 2010, 22:05

Your music taste is sh!t, Chiv! Razz Cool
DJ_Smerk
DJ_Smerk

Back to top Go down

Post by G.Wood Tue 09 Feb 2010, 04:28

For a rabid lunatic, ChivAug is uncanningly sage
G.Wood
G.Wood

Number of posts : 12070
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Tue 09 Feb 2010, 12:12

Clamson wrote:
I suppose I just get upset that people don't see through these things. Or maybe they do, and don't care.

It's probably better that people don't like "that horrible tuneless noise with shouting and swearing" anyway.

I know what you're saying though, what gus has said TBH has limits. For instance, one of my friends likes 'Crazy Frog' - I don't think I've disliked any 'music' more. So it's not alright to like it IMO - however peace and love gus is being.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 13 Feb 2010, 23:15

So given that Smerk is Welsh, if he discovered he has some Hungarian ancestors, would that make him Well Hung?

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Sat 13 Feb 2010, 23:51

Zat wrote:So given that Smerk is Welsh, if he discovered he has some Hungarian ancestors, would that make him Well Hung?

No, probably just gari-sh . . .
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down