Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Benefits shake up

+3
Basil
Henry
JKLever
7 posters

Go down

Benefits shake up Empty Benefits shake up

Post by Guest Sun 07 Nov 2010, 13:12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11704765

Best thing to come out of this new government so far, it's ridiculous the amount of people who opt to live on benefits without ever intending to find work, this scheme seems like it could be fantastic. Hope the implementation is sound.

Back to top Go down

Benefits shake up Empty Re: Benefits shake up

Post by JKLever Sun 07 Nov 2010, 13:20

Indeed, though given the bollocks spouted about Housing benefit caps of 'only' £20,000 I expect Liebore to oppose this too
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 07 Nov 2010, 14:18

I thought this thread was going to be county cricket related.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 07 Nov 2010, 17:20

A cricket thread on FB? You must be joking!
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 07 Nov 2010, 18:50

vilkrang wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11704765

Best thing to come out of this new government so far, it's ridiculous the amount of people who opt to live on benefits without ever intending to find work, this scheme seems like it could be fantastic. Hope the implementation is sound.

You might want to check out C4 on Thursday at 9 - "Britain's Three Trillion Pound Horror"

Last edited by Basil on Fri 12 Nov 2010, 18:22; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : utter stupity)
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Sun 07 Nov 2010, 19:40

Some of it is good, some of it worries me. Could you tell me where the jobs will be coming from that the unqualified lay abouts will be able to do. Also what employer is going to employ someone who has disabilties over someone who hasn't, in the real world that is, not in the pretend PC world of everyone is equal...

eowyn
eowyn

Number of posts : 11132
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : yrk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Nov 2010, 15:35

From what I can gather if there are no jobs available then people will still be able to claim benefits.

One worry I do have about this is the affect it may have on crime. A friend of mine is a teacher and some of his student's parents specifically tell them not to do any homework or even pay attention in school because as soon as they leave they will be joining the rest of their family in living off benefits.

If this type of mindset has been ingrained into families for generations then I can't see them accepting work, and in that case the easy money which they crave can be acquired by a life of crime.

I'm still not against the idea by any means but I do worry of the consequences.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Thu 11 Nov 2010, 16:05

The lowest crime rate in Britain occurred between the two World Wars when there was mass unemployment. Career crime accounts for a relatively small proprtion of all crime. To live successfully off the proceeds of crime requires as much, if not more, effort and ingenuity as going to work.

Most crime is either due to drink or drug dependency or is petty crime of the opportunist variety often carried out by those too young to have a regular job. There is also mindless vandalism and wanton destruction perpetrated by those supposedly in "full-time" education such as that which those of us in the UK saw on our TV screens last night.

Q: What's the difference between Millwall fans and students?

A: Millwall fans are generally much better behaved and make a bigger contribution to society.
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Nov 2010, 16:35

A pleb minority of students being assholes in London yesterday should not reflect badly on students as a whole.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allan D Thu 11 Nov 2010, 16:39

I think the same should be said of Millwall fans althhough even the asshole minority of those cause far less damage and tend to attack West Ham supporters rather than the police.
Allan D
Allan D

Number of posts : 6635

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 Nov 2010, 16:42

Fair enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by tac Thu 11 Nov 2010, 22:32

eowyn wrote:Some of it is good, some of it worries me. Could you tell me where the jobs will be coming from that the unqualified lay abouts will be able to do. Also what employer is going to employ someone who has disabilties over someone who hasn't, in the real world that is, not in the pretend PC world of everyone is equal...

You talking about our "Northern friends"?
tac
tac

Number of posts : 19270
Flag/Background : pon

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 12 Nov 2010, 10:25

tac suggests that modern USA stoopidity stems from the Highland clearances

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 12 Nov 2010, 11:11

Allan D wrote:I think the same should be said of Millwall fans althhough even the asshole minority of those cause far less damage and tend to attack West Ham supporters rather than the police.

I'd put quite a bit of the strife down to anarchists & commie barstewards mixing in with the students and being up for a bit of trouble.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 12 Nov 2010, 18:30

Basil wrote:
vilkrang wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11704765

You might want to check out C4 on Thursday at 9 - "Britain's Three Trillion Pound Horror"

Anyone watch this? it was ok if you happen to be a disciple of the Milton Friedman school of economics. I lost interest when they started portraying anyone working in the public sector not wearing a uniform as a complete and utter flid.

And who did they offer up as the token spokesman for the public sector ? - Brendan Barber!!! He achieved the impossible by coming across as being thicker than he looks!!!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 12 Nov 2010, 18:58

Didn't see it but knowing C4 probably sensationalist garbage, completely forgetting about the UK's assets. This current generation loves doom and gloom stories, gets on my moobs.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 12 Nov 2010, 19:08

Basically, the premise of the programme is that we're farked unless VAT, CGT and Inheritance Tax are abolished and income tax is reduced to a single flat rate for all taxpayers of not more than 20%.

Basically, the sort of thing that float's Merlin's boat!!
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 12 Nov 2010, 19:40

Just been reading about it on another forum. Twas bollocks - apparently they've added up our debts over the next 50 years and decided we'd be screwed if we had to pay it tomorrow.... ignoring all the assets the UK holds in the process.
JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 12 Nov 2010, 19:49

Yep, something like that. It was sort of crap that would make even John Redwood blanche.

Last edited by Basil on Fri 12 Nov 2010, 20:05; edited 1 time in total
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 12 Nov 2010, 19:58

JKLever wrote:
Allan D wrote:I think the same should be said of Millwall fans althhough even the asshole minority of those cause far less damage and tend to attack West Ham supporters rather than the police.

I'd put quite a bit of the strife down to anarchists & commie barstewards mixing in with the students and being up for a bit of trouble.

So would anyone else with a normal out look on the world.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by eowyn Fri 12 Nov 2010, 20:01

tac wrote:
eowyn wrote:Some of it is good, some of it worries me. Could you tell me where the jobs will be coming from that the unqualified lay abouts will be able to do. Also what employer is going to employ someone who has disabilties over someone who hasn't, in the real world that is, not in the pretend PC world of everyone is equal...

You talking about our "Northern friends"?

Yes, I mean me.
eowyn
eowyn

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Fri 12 Nov 2010, 20:18

The Daily Mash take on all the trouble
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/britain-backs-middle-class-children-who-want-the-moon-on-a-stick-201011103243/

Roy Hobbs, an ambulance driver from Grantham, said the lazy, middle class children who think they are brilliant had inspired him to have a lie in tomorrow before quitting his job, taking someone else's money and then punching a policeman if anyone objected.

Laughing

JKLever
JKLever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 12 Nov 2010, 21:27

Genius Laughing .

Back to top Go down