Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v England, 2nd Test, Adelaide, Dec 3-7, 2010 (II)

+28
Bradman
Merlin
Blackadder
Big Dog
The One
Zat
Paul Keating
horace
Winkle Spinner
Nath
Jontyh
Gary 111
LeFromage
Basil
PeterCS
Chivalry Augustus
DJ_Smerk
taipan
Red
doremi
JKLever
Fred Nerk
SG
ever hopeful
skully
Henry
Henry Nolonga
JGK
32 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Australia v England, 2nd Test, Adelaide, Dec 3-7, 2010 (II) Empty Australia v England, 2nd Test, Adelaide, Dec 3-7, 2010 (II)

Post by JGK Mon 06 Dec 2010, 09:58

They'll give Swanny a couple of overs with the old ball against Nought first. SHould be enough.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Australia v England, 2nd Test, Adelaide, Dec 3-7, 2010 (II) Empty Re: Australia v England, 2nd Test, Adelaide, Dec 3-7, 2010 (II)

Post by Henry Nolonga Mon 06 Dec 2010, 09:58

The score is above 150. Expect a career prolonging ton from North tomorrow.
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Number of posts : 1639
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Australia v England, 2nd Test, Adelaide, Dec 3-7, 2010 (II) Empty Re: Australia v England, 2nd Test, Adelaide, Dec 3-7, 2010 (II)

Post by JGK Mon 06 Dec 2010, 09:59

Although apparnetly North does average 55 when he comes in with the total at more than 150.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 06 Dec 2010, 09:59

With referrals and hot spot etc, who wouldn't walk? Only makes the player look like a cheat if he hangs around when he knows he's hit it.

I was hoping that the referral system would encourage players to walk when they know they're out, and for fielders to not make ridiculous appeals even though they know the batsman is not out. But so far it hasn't happened.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:01

With limited appeals, not walking might result in a not out call which then puts the pressure on the bowling skipper to potentially "waste" a review. Or of course if they were Australia or South Africa, they would have already wasted the reviews.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:02

Henry Nolonga wrote:The score is above 150. Expect a career prolonging ton from North tomorrow.
Ah, nice catch, HN. I can only desperately hope that you (and the bad weather) are right. Cool
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by ever hopeful Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:04

JKLever wrote:
Captain conservative could pay for that decision to bat on.

On the contrary, if Strauss hadn't batted on, the Aus deficit would have only been 300 odd. With a smaller deficit to chase, along with the psychological boost that gives, and the extra 40 minutes Eng used this morning, Australia could have been almost level by now instead of still 137 behind. Good call, England, in my book.
ever hopeful
ever hopeful

Number of posts : 922
Registration date : 2009-07-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:04

Ironically enough, a complete wash out tomorrow would almost certainly mean the end of North's career. Basically for his sake he HAS to bat tomorrow, and HAS to make at least 50 to avoid the axe for the Perth test.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:05

skully wrote:
Henry Nolonga wrote:The score is above 150. Expect a career prolonging ton from North tomorrow.
Ah, nice catch, HN. I can only desperately hope that you (and the bad weather) are right. Cool

Geez skully. Hoping for North to do well? You guys must be desperate Wink
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:07

Henry Nolonga wrote:
skully wrote:

Damn, I submit to your infinite wisdom. You have soundly out-argued me. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:08

Henry wrote:Ironically enough, a complete wash out tomorrow would almost certainly mean the end of North's career. Basically for his sake he HAS to bat tomorrow, and HAS to make at least 50 to avoid the axe for the Perth test.

I think a 50 and a loss would be the end as well.

I am thinking of making a another pact with God re tomorrow's events - if there are more than 50 overs tomorrow and North manages to save us with a not out or a big innings that makes us safe, I may have to add to the sig and hold off criticising his batting until 6 December 2011.

JGK

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:08

Henry wrote:Ironically enough, a complete wash out tomorrow would almost certainly mean the end of North's career. Basically for his sake he HAS to bat tomorrow, and HAS to make at least 50 to avoid the axe for the Perth test.
You massively underestimate the idiocy of the Aus NSP, Trev.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:10

ever hopeful wrote:
JKLever wrote:
Captain conservative could pay for that decision to bat on.

On the contrary, if Strauss hadn't batted on, the Aus deficit would have only been 300 odd. With a smaller deficit to chase, along with the psychological boost that gives, and the extra 40 minutes Eng used this morning, Australia could have been almost level by now instead of still 137 behind. Good call, England, in my book.

But England DO have a second innings. Surely we should back our batsmen to chase 150 odd batting last. On this pitch. Against this Aus attack. The game would be more in our control and I reckon the Umps would be more reluctant to go off for bad light and what-not with England so close to victory chasing in the fourth innings.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Nolonga Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:12

skully wrote:
Henry Nolonga wrote:
skully wrote:

Damn, I submit to your infinite wisdom. You have soundly out-argued me. Cool
Was just waiting for the right time Very Happy

But anyway, what scenario would you rather have?
1 - North makes a decent score to help Aus draw but stays in the side for the series
or
2 - North fails and gets dropped but Aus lose?

I'm guessing 3 - North helps Aus draw but still gets dropped Smile
Henry Nolonga
Henry Nolonga

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:25

I will accept North making a decent score and helping Aus to a draw and being retained. Afterall, the Ashes is paramount and I will give Nought his due if he plays his part.

The most likely is obviously that he will fail, we will deservedly lose to a far superior side, but Nought will be retained. Mad

And I simply can't imagine the miracle scenario of Nought helping us to a draw AND being dropped. Cool

Last edited by skully on Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:29; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by SG Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:29

Speaking of North, this is what Hussey has to say about North,

"He'll definitely score runs," Hussey said. "He's a champion player, a champion guy to have around the team, and we want him around the team. We're behind him all the way."

SG

Number of posts : 12806
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:35

Those crazy wozzies stick together.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:49

If Hussey had said 'North is a waste of space and an embarrassment to Australian cricket and he may as well throw his bat in the Torrens on the way back to the hotel tomorrow', that WOULD have nearly been news.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8822
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 06 Dec 2010, 10:55

Big Dog wrote:Jeez...stop complaining you poms. How many times has England been saved by your crappy weather in years gone by. Its about time we got one back.

Like when? I'm sure we have.... no more than any other sides however and its hampered us just as much. (OT 2005 anyone?)

Who's complaining either?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by doremi Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:02

furriner wrote:Or to put it another way:

O' captain my captain,
the batsmen have all gone to $hit,
Our bowling boys are England's toys
And you yourselves a tit.

My coat!

Noice!
doremi
doremi

Number of posts : 9743
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:09

SG wrote:Speaking of North, this is what Hussey has to say about North,

"He'll definitely score runs," Hussey said. "He's a champion player, a champion guy to have around the team, and we want him around the team. We're behind him all the way."

A few critics tonight suggested that they're sick of ex-players backing all the current players as if there is a secret oath they sign when they're issued their baggygreens. Even Warne is prepared to defend Doherty. None of them think anyone should be dropped except the usual loons like Hogg.

Massie said tonight that the selectors have put a lot of the players under pressure with the seventeen man squad, chopping and changing and ambiguous statements. He said that his experience of playing and watching cricket has taught him that if you have too many players in the team fearing for their place, you rarely play the sort of cricket required to win matches. In contrast England has a stable line-up and they've backed their players, even through form lapses and technical issues. They look a close-knit unit. He also said that he finds some of Punter's field players bemusing as there seemed to quite a few catches which went to orthodox positions which were unmanned. He said that Punter claims he sets fields to bowlers' wishes but Massie said that Chappelli overruled them if he thought the fields were dumb.

Just on England, Allan Lamb said yesterday that Gooch has done a great job with KP, who is arguably the hardest working cricketer in the game. He also said he never really felt accepted as an English cricketer.

Getting back to Nort, the word champion is used too loosely these days.

If he helps save the test, Aussie fans will love him but it's time to look at other options both short and long-term.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:29

SG wrote

Red pontificated

"A few critics tonight suggested that they're sick of ex-players backing all the current players as if there is a secret oath they sign when they're issued their baggygreens."?

If Hussey's an ex-player, who was that bloke who batted with Haddin in Brisbane? His stunt double?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8822
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:33

Fred Nerk wrote:SG wrote

Red pontificated

"A few critics tonight suggested that they're sick of ex-players backing all the current players as if there is a secret oath they sign when they're issued their baggygreens."?

If Hussey's an ex-player, who was that bloke who batted with Haddin in Brisbane? His stunt double?

It was in the paper Fred, it cannot be wrong.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:46

Red pontificated

The Hussey on North example was used to bring the topic under discussion. That didn't mean Hussey was being confused as an erstwhile player. By all means criticise my posts, as most are apt to do but try a bit harder please!
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Mon 06 Dec 2010, 11:51

Red wrote:

Red pontificated

The Hussey on North example was used to bring the topic under discussion. That didn't mean Hussey was being confused as an erstwhile player. By all means criticise my posts, as most are apt to do but try a bit harder please!

Obfuscation reigns
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next