Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years?

+2
Paul Keating
Mick Sawyer
6 posters

Go down

Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years? Empty Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years?

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jan 2011, 22:20

Sorry if this has been covererd, I notice on the BBC Ashes gossip page that a story mentions that the next tour down under has been brought forward a year.

Surely that can't be right? That would mean two ashes series within 6 months of each other.

Back to top Go down

Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years? Empty Re: Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years?

Post by Mick Sawyer Sun 02 Jan 2011, 22:35

They give any reasoning?
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years? Empty Re: Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years?

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jan 2011, 22:42

World Cup clash apparently. Surely it would make much more sense to move the series in Aus back a year, I love the Ashes of course but having them back to back and then presumably a 3 and a half year wait for the next one sounds ludicrous.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Keating Sun 02 Jan 2011, 23:55

Sorry but it cant be the world cup. That is scheduled for june 2014. Next ashes in Oz should be in nov 2014?

Paul Keating
Paul Keating

Changes to Ashes scheduling over the next few years? Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4663
Registration date : 2007-10-25
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Jan 2011, 23:58

Paul Keating wrote:Sorry but it cant be the world cup. That is scheduled for june 2014. Next ashes in Oz should be in nov 2014?

Like I say I don't really know anything about it, just saw it on the BBC ashes gossip but the link to the site required a subscription so couldn't actually read the article.

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 03 Jan 2011, 03:51

june 2014? isnt the world cup scheduled for 2015? besides i doubt you will get cricket in most of aus/nz in june

The One

Number of posts : 9035
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 03 Jan 2011, 11:41

That's crazy talk.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Jan 2011, 13:03

The One wrote:june 2014? isnt the world cup scheduled for 2015? besides i doubt you will get cricket in most of aus/nz in june
I wasn't implying it would be during their winter.

I really no fark all about it, I was hoping someone else would...

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 03 Jan 2011, 16:07

you didnt. salim did

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 04 Jan 2011, 10:58

Seems that the change of dates for the Ashes is set. The new FTP will contain all the answers. Apparently.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 04 Jan 2011, 18:42

On TMS they were talking about the next series in Aus being in 2013/14. Quite a coup by the ECB, infact, whilst Steve Smith is the being chosen as the best spinner in Aus and Phil Hughes the best opener can't we arrange another series next month?

Does that mean the next Ashes Series in England after 2013 will now be in 2016?

Always good to have more Ashes cricket but don't want to overdo it too much. But then I don't want to have to wait 3 and a half years either. Also, I like having the Ashes in 'odd' years as that means we aren't cluttering up the same summer with Olympics, Euro Champs football and the Ashes.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 04 Jan 2011, 18:47

Gary 111 wrote:On TMS they were talking about the next series in Aus being in 2013/14. Quite a coup by the ECB, infact, whilst Steve Smith is the being chosen as the best spinner in Aus and Phil Hughes the best opener can't we arrange another series next month?

Does that mean the next Ashes Series in England after 2013 will now be in 2016?

Always good to have more Ashes cricket but don't want to overdo it too much. But then I don't want to have to wait 3 and a half years either. Also, I like having the Ashes in 'odd' years as that means we aren't cluttering up the same summer with Olympics, Euro Champs football and the Ashes.

As I understand it, the adjustment is purely to ensure that Ashes series in Oz do not clash with world cup years, so presumably after 2013, the next home series will be 2017.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Tue 04 Jan 2011, 18:58

If this is permanant rather than a one-off then I don't think they should clump them together like that. Should move a year later then you still have 18 months before the next series.

Its less of an achievement to win home and away if you're basically playing the same XI with no time to regroup. And a player like Harris who sustains a serious injury could miss not only the current series but also the next one too.

As for the cricket World Cup, I saw the schedule recently, its a farce - a month worth of 42 games, just to confirm the top 8 teams (which we pretty much know already), then its all sorted in the last 7 games, they'll be the only ones worth watching.

If they do want a bloated league format they should go straight to the semis, so the matches have more intensity. My preferance would be for a much shorter World Cup, less matches, higher quality. But waiting 4 years between tournaments is a nonsense - play it every 2 years, or even annually. There's so many JAMODI's when we could have something a bit more meaningful.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:00

The reason I'm not too keen on this is that in recent years we've done well at home and if that trend continues if we win again at home in 2013 then we could potentially hold the Ashes for only another 6 months after that series, whereas Aus could then have them for 3 and a half years after their home series. Despite us being better than them at the moment I don't think winning in Aus is going to become a regular thing so it seems a bit unfair the amount of time we would have to wait after their home series to have another crack at them.

Again, hypothetically, if we win in 2013 and Aus win in 2013/14 then it would mean since 2005 that England would have held the Ashes for a total of 6 years and Aus would end up holding them also for 6 years despite England winning two more series than them during that time.

And yes, as a pom I WILL always find something to whinge about...

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:04

vilkrang wrote:The reason I'm not too keen on this is that in recent years we've done well at home and if that trend continues if we win again at home in 2013 then we could potentially hold the Ashes for only another 6 months after that series, whereas Aus could then have them for 3 and a half years after their home series. Despite us being better than them at the moment I don't think winning in Aus is going to become a regular thing so it seems a bit unfair the amount of time we would have to wait after their home series to have another crack at them.

Again, hypothetically, if we win in 2013 and Aus win in 2013/14 then it would mean since 2005 that England would have held the Ashes for a total of 6 years and Aus would end up holding them also for 6 years despite England winning two more series than them during that time.

And yes, as a pom I WILL always find something to whinge about...

Nah, we're good for the next ten years.
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:22

Basil wrote:Nah, we're good for the next ten years.
Ten? That's the famous English understatement, right?

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:23

Does this 10 year stretch depend on my sleeping arrangements?

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Tue 04 Jan 2011, 19:25

vilkrang wrote:Does this 10 year stretch depend on my sleeping arrangements?
Basil
Basil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down