Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From nearly 10 years ago...

+6
Basil
furriner
Big Dog
Henry
JKLever
beamer
10 posters

Go down

From nearly 10 years ago... Empty From nearly 10 years ago...

Post by beamer Sun 23 Jan 2011, 00:22

Stumbled across this article about an U-19 series in 2001 - interesting to see Bell, Prior and Tremlett all in there, players who played a major part in Ashes success almost a decade later.

Usually the majority of players at that level sink without trace, the same is true of some of the names in the article, but there's also a couple of players who although they didn't fulfil their potential were notable England twelfth men who contributed to Ashes victories - Gary Pratt with his legendary run-out of Ponting in 2005 and Bilal Shafayat whose alleged time-wasting was a factor in drawing the 2009 Cardiff Test.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/cricket/mr-marsh-your-new-country-needs-you-664682.html

beamer

Number of posts : 15399
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

From nearly 10 years ago... Empty Re: From nearly 10 years ago...

Post by JKLever Sun 23 Jan 2011, 00:42

The new-ball bowlers struggled to contain the effervescent West Indies opener, Devon Smith, although he offered plenty of evidence that he might be a special talent. Smith made scores of 75, 66 and 102 not out

Just shows you, being a star in u19's cricket doesn't guarantee jack sh!t !!
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 01:02

Gary Pratt was a gun at under 19 level. Most tipped him to make it. His name will go down in history of course, but not for run scoring feats.

I think he plays semi-professional football now?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 01:06

And Nicky Peng. Adam Hollioake called him the best teenage batsman he'd after seen after he made 90 odd on debut against Surrey as a 17 year old. Averaged mid 20s for about five years and then faded without a trace. his family is filthy rich, apparently. Probably decided he was better off retiring from cricket to concentrate on being a toff.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Sun 23 Jan 2011, 07:01

interesting to see Bell, Prior and Tremlett all in there, players who played a major part in Ashes success almost a decade later

I guess we'll have to check out the South African U19 side at the time to see how the rest of Englands Ashes team were going. Twisted Evil
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Sun 23 Jan 2011, 07:15

Wonder where these Seth Effrican juniors are - Clicky?

Big Dog wrote:
interesting to see Bell, Prior and Tremlett all in there, players who played a major part in Ashes success almost a decade later

I guess we'll have to check out the South African U19 side at the time to see how the rest of Englands Ashes team were going. Twisted Evil

See linky above. Smile
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12507
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sun 23 Jan 2011, 08:38

Henry wrote:And Nicky Peng. Adam Hollioake called him the best teenage batsman he'd after seen after he made 90 odd on debut against Surrey as a 17 year old. Averaged mid 20s for about five years and then faded without a trace. his family is filthy rich, apparently. Probably decided he was better off retiring from cricket to concentrate on being a toff.

I saw Peng get a shed load of runs at New Road once - he looked a nailed on certainty to be a test player. perhaps he didn't want it enough.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 23 Jan 2011, 11:45

went down the city to make his own squillions, most likely

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38103
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 23 Jan 2011, 12:19

Basil wrote:
Henry wrote:And Nicky Peng. Adam Hollioake called him the best teenage batsman he'd after seen after he made 90 odd on debut against Surrey as a 17 year old. Averaged mid 20s for about five years and then faded without a trace. his family is filthy rich, apparently. Probably decided he was better off retiring from cricket to concentrate on being a toff.

I saw Peng get a shed load of runs at New Road once - he looked a nailed on certainty to be a test player. perhaps he didn't want it enough.

The phrase "bats like a millionaire" was often bandied around in conjunction with Peng.

Probably was one. Or is now.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sun 23 Jan 2011, 12:20

I'm ferkin jealous - as I contemplate going back to work tomorrow after the longest break I've had in years. Farkin ugh.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105949
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 12:27

From Peng's cricinfo profile-

"Eventually the pressure told, and in July 2007 he suddenly quit, explaining that he had stopped enjoying the game because of "the mind games which have affected me".

Yeah, the little voice in his head which was saying "Why the f*ck should I be bothered training hard and putting in 100% on the cricket field every day with the aim of playing for England when I can have just as much money sitting back in the office, working a cushy job that my Dad got me, and waiting to claim my inheritance?"

Used to get dropped off at Durham under 17s practice in his Dad's Bentley. Some people have it tough......
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sun 23 Jan 2011, 12:47

The mind games? Heh - what a spanner.

He should try playing the old boarding school classic: guess what I'm sticking up your arse.

That'd f*ck with his mind. Also his arse.

LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Sun 23 Jan 2011, 15:03

Big Dog wrote:

Yah, all one of them.

Interesting piece I found about Trott
http://www.edgbaston.com/news/trott-talks-shop/

JT: I was playing regularly for Western Province as a 20-year-old and I got the chance from Bob Woolmer, who called me and asked if I wanted to come and play for Warwickshire. Neil Carter was here too, and it just felt right. There was always something about Warwickshire. Maybe it was Bob, or Allan Donald who played here when I was growing up, but I said to my dad that I wanted to go to Warwickshire and he said for me to go for it. With us being British that was always how I felt. I remember coming here on tour for South Africa under 15s and just walking straight through at Heathrow with my British passport as the rest were stuck at customs. So I always felt that way. I remember my dad telling me that they’d just selected the Ashes team, this would have been 1990-91, and I asked him how long they went away for. He told me it was four months, and I just remember thinking how crazy that was and saying to him, ‘Hey, I could go on an Ashes tour one day’, and my dad saying, ‘You’ll have to play for England first,’ and me saying, ‘Well, that’s okay…’
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 15:11

There's been some sort of conspiracy theory (started by Michael Vaughan a couple of years back) that Trott wishes he was in the Saffie side and still roots for them.

Load of old bull if you ask me. I think he and Cook are our most bloody-minded, dedicated batsmen in years.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Sun 23 Jan 2011, 15:14

I remember that Under 19 series like it was yesterday.

West Indies were clearly the stronger side of the two at that age group, particularly in terms of our fast bowling with Lawson and Richardson both appearing at least 5/6 mph quicker than their England counterparts.

Devon Smith was also hailed by one and all as the best thing since sliced bread. Oh how times change.
WIFAN
WIFAN

From nearly 10 years ago... 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sun 23 Jan 2011, 15:23

Probably says quite a bit about the structure of West Indies cricket. The Windies have always had good under 19s teams-probably one of the top three in the world, but most of their players go backwards from there.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by WIFAN Sun 23 Jan 2011, 15:48

Yeah I completely agree.

For example that side had:

Devon Smith = Test match failure, FC bully
Narsingh Deonarine = Likes a drink or two, never fulfilled his potential.
Brenton Parchment = Played tests, not good enough.
Carlton Baugh Jr = Always been good with the bat, his wicket keeping was substandard until very recently. It's still not great though.
Jermaine Lawson = Successful in whatever tests he did play but a blatant pelter.
Andrew Richardson = One of our most talented quicks of the last 15 years. Unfortunately literally always injured.
Kenroy Peters = Bucketloads of Under 19 wickets, never had the pace to make it count at FC level, plus was chased out by inter island politics.
Omari Banks = Talented spinner but not enough control for test level. Not even in Leewards side currently.
WIFAN
WIFAN

From nearly 10 years ago... 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2857
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : wi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down