Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test)

+4
Invader Zim
LeFromage
JKLever
Zat
8 posters

Go down

David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test) Empty David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test)

Post by Zat Tue 04 Sep 2007, 22:39

This has run in a few places before, but this seems an appropriate, well, forum... I wrote it just after Hookesy died.

Many will recall the centenary test against England in 1977. His first test, and five successive fours off Tony Greig.

I'd moved to
Canberra in mid-1985, but went back to Melbourne for the Boxing Day test against India. I was very excited, as I was a teenager going on holidays without my parents for the first time, and looking forward to the cricket.

This match featured a young guy by the name of Steve Waugh, who many tipped for great things, making his debut.

It was also the last time in the baggy green cap for one David William Hookes. He scored 42 in the first innings, but in the second dig wound up with a first-ball gozzie. Fortunately for
Australia, rain came and washed out the tail end of the match, meaning India didn't win. Come 4pm on the final day, it was obvious that the rain was not going to let up, and if I recall correctly, the team for the Sydney test had been announced. Without Hookes.

After the match had been declared a draw, I was one of the few left at the ground, and after hanging around outside the team rooms for a while, a group of supporters walked across to Jolimont railway station. For those who don't know, the station is en route to the Hilton Hotel, where teams, officials, etc used to stay for the MCG test.

Before our train arrived, we looked up at the pedestrian overpass, and saw three Aussie test cricketers making their way over the bridge to the hotel. I don't remember who two of them were, but I do remember David Hookes. He'd obviously decided to mark his omission from the next test, and the probable end of his career in the traditional Aussie manner. He was having trouble walking, and looked like he'd demolished half-a-day's output from the
Carlton and United Brewery.

I'd heard the news that his test career was probably over, and decided some encouragement for one of my childhood heroes was necessary... and my teenage voice sang out loudly "ONYA HOOKESY YOU BLOODY LEGEND!"

He looked down in my general direction.

He probably didn't see who'd said it, but he waved, and gave a thumbs up…

I can't think of a more apt way to say farewell, than to repeat it.

ONYA HOOKESY YOU BLOODY LEGEND!

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test) Empty Re: David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test)

Post by JKLever Tue 04 Sep 2007, 22:50

Nice story Zat

1 question about Hookes. Why was he overlooked for the 85 tour of England?

Surely a better bet than Hilditch especially as Wayne Phillips was opening for most of his test career up to that point.
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test) Empty Re: David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test)

Post by LeFromage Tue 04 Sep 2007, 23:05

Cheers Zat - great stuff.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Wed 05 Sep 2007, 06:04

JKLever wrote:Nice story Zat

1 question about Hookes. Why was he overlooked for the 85 tour of England?

Surely a better bet than Hilditch especially as Wayne Phillips was opening for most of his test career up to that point.
Hookes was dropped from the national team after a relatively unsuccessful tour of the WIndies in 1984 (Although I think he did better than Kim Hughes and Dean Jones on that tour).

A fairly ordinary Shield season followed in 84/85 saw him slip out of contention. Even though he was the 70s/80s equivalent of Mark Waugh to the nth degree, in that he never went on with the job, I loved watching him bat when he was 'on'.

Somewhere in the Zat cricketing library, I have the January 1986 edition of 'Cricketer' magazine, signed by Steve Waugh and David Hookes. I've been told it's worth quite a few dollars.

CC.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Wed 05 Sep 2007, 09:21

Remember how just after Hookes's death Rob spend many fun filled hours making fun of the genuine distress many where feeling? Good times.
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by freddled gruntbuggly Wed 05 Sep 2007, 10:47

No.
But I do remember you having to bite your tongue not to be disparaging about Hookesy until after the funeral, when you totally went to town.
How difficult is it for you not to be a miserable hardarse?
freddled gruntbuggly
freddled gruntbuggly

David Hookes's Last Test (Also Steve Waugh's first Test) 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2959
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Invader Zim Fri 07 Sep 2007, 01:59

Are you talking to me?
Invader Zim
Invader Zim

Number of posts : 6396
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 07 Sep 2007, 02:11

must have the hood stuffed into your ears
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 21 Apr 2015, 10:33

Invader Zim wrote:Remember how just after Hookes' death Rob spent many fun-filled hours making fun of the genuine distress many were feeling?  Good times.

There really was some awful vindictiveness back in those days. For long periods then Rob S seemed quite incapable of posting without emitting venom.

Nearly 30 years have passed now since the Hookes - koala baton change.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38087
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Apr 2015, 10:37

Robi or Robin?
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:09

Rob S just seemed to be unrelentingly hateful. Rob I/MBF/fishlips was gentle in comparison, although he had his moments too. I think he had a particularly bad patch around the time C4 collapsed and we all came here, but back when I first visited c4 he was ok.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Tue 21 Apr 2015, 11:31

I had it the other way around. Robi was to SA as TREV is to Aus.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Sun 26 Apr 2015, 10:18

No-one has been as hard on South Farcia as Trev has been on Australia.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sun 26 Apr 2015, 11:32

As far as I know Trev has never accused your national captain as being gay and a muderer.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 07 Oct 2015, 23:36

Maybe not, but he has stated that the team are almost as worthy of his contempt as an Assad-backed Syrian mob ...

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down