Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens

+11
Red
taipan
embee
Bradman
tricycle
JGK
skully
Henry
Ethics? The Gall!
Fred Nerk
OP Tipping
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens Empty Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens

Post by OP Tipping Wed 10 Feb 2016, 00:13

There are plenty of reasons to dislike Waugh snr, but Warne's reason below seems inadequate:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-09/warnes-war-on-steve-waugh-goes-nuclear/7153358

There's a lot of reasons I don't like Steve Waugh ... because he's the most selfish cricketer I've played with.
One thing that really annoyed me about him was the one Test I got dropped, in the West Indies, we had to win the last Test match to win the trophy.
At that stage, captain (Waugh), vice-captain (Warne) and coach (Geoff Marsh) used to pick the team.
We went to selection. I hadn't bowled well, we'd lost, Brian Lara batted unreal, but I felt like I was being the scapegoat, that because I didn't bowl well it was my fault.
We got to the selection table and said, 'OK, what's everyone's thoughts?'. Steve Waugh said 'You're not playing'. I went 'What? Hang on. What do you think the team should be? Blah blah blah', and Steve Waugh said 'Nup, I'm the captain of this side ... you're not playing'.
I was really disappointed with that. After ten years, I'd just had a shoulder operation, I thought the situation, of having to win a Test match, would've brought the best out in me too.
I don't like Steve Waugh for a lot of other reasons, but that was the reason.

I mean if you have a bad match after coming back from injury, it's probably fair enough to be dropped.
OP Tipping
OP Tipping

Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens Svlx7uN

Number of posts : 4680
Registration date : 2008-01-10
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens Empty Re: Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 10 Feb 2016, 00:33

'I'm the captain of THIS side'.....as distinct from the side for Syd Ashes 98-99 four Tests before, which he wasn't captain of, but a certain media mogul (now deceased) basically ordered a half-fit Warne to be picked in for no good reason other than his TV ratings?

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8807
Registration date : 2007-10-15
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens Empty Re: Warne Waughs episode VII: A Force Awakens

Post by Ethics? The Gall! Wed 10 Feb 2016, 02:11

... because he's the most selfish cricketer I've played with.
seems a fair enough assessment. rest of what he said was ****** garbage
Ethics? The Gall!
Ethics? The Gall!

Number of posts : 1911
Registration date : 2012-08-23
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 10 Feb 2016, 05:42

Well Australia won that test, so Waugh has every right to believe he made the right decision and tell Warne to STFU and stop being a bitter qunt. He was bowling poorly and Australia were losing. Surely the selfish thing to do was insist he should play because of his past record, rather than current form. Warnie has never been a good judge of when to 'take one on the chin', though....

Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 10 Feb 2016, 05:51

Have to agree with Trev. Warnie's the one that comes across as "selfish". And yes, SRW's decision lead to Aus winning the final Test to win the series. McGoo and Funky took 8 wickets in the match between them, indicating there was no room for the returning-from-injury and out-of-form TGM.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105897

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Wed 10 Feb 2016, 05:57

He was lucky that Waugh showed so much faith in him in the World Cup a few months later, as well. Australia were very poor in the early stages of that World Cup. I remember they limped over the line against Scotland in their first match. If Herschelle had held that catch, there would have been questions as to why an out of form Warne was still being persisted with.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:09

Ethics? The Gall! wrote:
seems a fair enough assessment.  rest of what he said was ****** garbage

Why fair enough?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by tricycle Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:14

The fact the he's on "I'm a celebrity..." is even more stupid than his statement.

tricycle

Number of posts : 13349
Registration date : 2011-12-17
Flag/Background : none

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:27

Fred Nerk wrote:'I'm the captain of THIS side'.....as distinct from the side for Syd Ashes 98-99 four Tests before, which he wasn't captain of, but a certain media mogul (now deceased) basically ordered a half-fit Warne to be picked in for no good reason other than his TV ratings?

Hmmnnn! I've never heard that one. Interesting, TFF!

I think OPT left out the bit where Warnie claims AB, who was leading a tour group or something, was drafted in and said to pick Warne.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:28

The $$$$$$$ for IACGMOOH is not stupid

the crap that comes out of his gob as he tries to settle old scores is stupid ...always has been
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:30

You've got to wonder why someone who retired with his record would feel insecure.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:36

Sage.

A reality TV show is not the place to spill his baked beans on a fellow legend. It's crass as fark. I await the "I didn't know they were recording me" defence.

SRW to his credit issued one statement - "no comment".
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:43

Bradman wrote:You've got to wonder why someone who retired with his record would feel insecure.

Mother issues.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Wed 10 Feb 2016, 06:50

Well he's not going to need her diet pill where he is now.
Bradman
Bradman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethics? The Gall! Wed 10 Feb 2016, 09:55

JGK wrote:
Ethics? The Gall! wrote:
seems a fair enough assessment.  rest of what he said was ****** garbage
Why fair enough?
cos ive always thought waugh was a ****** selfish cricketer. got even worse as captain. decent guy off the field and hes done a lot of great charity work but when playing he always gave me the impression of being out for himself first with the team coming a poor second and the overall good of the game totally irrelevant

warne really should keep his gob shut about the west indies decision now. hes just making himself sound bitter and childish. waugh did the right thing dropping him although he could have handled the notification better

Ethics? The Gall!
Ethics? The Gall!

Number of posts : 1911
Registration date : 2012-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Wed 10 Feb 2016, 12:13

Lara had Warne's measure and he deserved to be dropped. Waugh may well have been selfish but Warne sounds like a spiteful, puerile idiot with his comments.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 10 Feb 2016, 12:58

Red wrote:Lara had Warne's measure and he deserved to be dropped. Waugh may well have been selfish but Warne sounds like a spiteful, puerile idiot with his comments.

He is a vomit
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26198

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 10 Feb 2016, 22:13

LINK

Even Shane Watson can sound sensible and dignified on this issue.

Warne, without a cricket ball in his right hand, is an idiot.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38074

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 10 Feb 2016, 22:13

Red wrote:Lara had Warne's measure and he deserved to be dropped. Waugh may well have been selfish but Warne sounds like a spiteful, puerile idiot with his comments.

well put

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 11 Feb 2016, 00:40

I'm not sure taking such a public potshot at a fellow legend will endear Warnie to many - other than a few million bogan vomits.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Fri 12 Feb 2016, 20:49

lardbucket wrote:LINK

Even Shane Watson can sound sensible and dignified on this issue.

Warne, without a cricket ball in his right hand, is an idiot.

I think that there's an edge to Warne that is not altogether pleasant. Early last season when Stuart Broad couldn't buy a run, Warne suggested, quite seriously, that Broad should have been dropped to 11 in the batting order to "humiliate" him. What sort of man management would that have been FFS? Be grateful he was never your captain.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Fri 12 Feb 2016, 21:57

I am in total agreement with you, Basil.

Genius on the field with a ball in his hand, selfish arsehole bent on self-promotion and self-advancement otherwise. Just not a bloke you could or should trust.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Fri 12 Feb 2016, 23:59

Broad went through a spell of refusing to get behind the ball. TGM was right. Re batting him at 11.

TGM being self absorbed focussed on the handling of his dropping in WI. Untidy. Would have been more interested in his analysis of K snrs selfishness.
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 13 Feb 2016, 00:45

You know for sure that Warne has serious issues as a person when horrie agrees with what he says.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Sat 13 Feb 2016, 00:48

horace wrote:Broad went through a spell of refusing to get behind the ball. TGM  was right. Re batting him at 11.

TGM being self absorbed focussed on the handling of his dropping in WI. Untidy. Would have been more interested in his analysis of K snrs selfishness.

"Refusing" implies volition - there was nothing voluntary about Broad's inability to get behind the line of the ball against a backdrop of a very nasty injury. That he has partially overcome that hurdle, speaks volumes for his inner steel.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next