Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greig: Lillee could be 'a bit of a fairy

+11
Bradman
JKLever
Basil
furriner
JGK
embee
taipan
Brass Monkey
skully
Big Dog
Red
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Greig: Lillee could be 'a bit of a fairy  Empty Greig: Lillee could be 'a bit of a fairy

Post by Red Wed 18 May 2011, 09:15

if hit.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Cricket/Lillee-a-bit-of-a-fairy-20110518

Obviously looking to sell some books.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Greig: Lillee could be 'a bit of a fairy  Empty Re: Greig: Lillee could be 'a bit of a fairy

Post by Big Dog Wed 18 May 2011, 09:34

How ignominious to have to resort to sensationalist statements to generate enough interest to sell a book. Rolling Eyes
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Greig: Lillee could be 'a bit of a fairy  Empty Re: Greig: Lillee could be 'a bit of a fairy

Post by skully Wed 18 May 2011, 09:51

Actually, anyone who saw the infamous "hold me back, hold me back" Lillee v Javed incident at Perth in 1981 (scarred me for life) would not doubt the "fairy" line. Yes, one of the 3 greatest bowlers I ever saw, but that will forever be a blot on his career.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105983
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 May 2011, 09:55

Laughing Blimey Grieggy's not pulling the punches nowadays.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 18 May 2011, 13:54

Big Dog wrote:How ignominious to have to resort to sensationalist statements to generate enough interest to sell a book. Rolling Eyes

Wasn't particularly sensationalist.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 18 May 2011, 14:28

I assume Greig means that Dennis didnt like getting bounced ..rather than having his bowling hit

No one does like getting hit with the ball ...that's why fast bowlers do it
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26217
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by JGK Wed 18 May 2011, 14:44

Greig obviously liked it so much he decided to wear a helmet.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 18 May 2011, 16:03

I think he was on about the time Lillee was at a party and pretty much renditioned the whole of Betty Davis Eyes.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by furriner Wed 18 May 2011, 21:37

skully wrote:Actually, anyone who saw the infamous "hold me back, hold me back" Lillee v Javed incident at Perth in 1981 (scarred me for life) would not doubt the "fairy" line. Yes, one of the 3 greatest bowlers I ever saw, but that will forever be a blot on his career.

Scarred you for life, skulls? Shirley you're jesting.
furriner
furriner

Number of posts : 12508
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 18 May 2011, 22:27

On that fateful day in 1981, I came home from a long day at uni and caught the late news, furry, and that was the headline story. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My great hero Dennis Lillee feably kicking Javed in the leg then standing behind umpire Tony Crafter and screaming obscenities at Javed as the combative Pakster threatened to crown DKL with his bat. It was the most piss weak thing I'd ever seen from an Aussie cricketer on the field, and yes, it forever coloured my view on the original TGM.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Wed 18 May 2011, 23:37

skully wrote:On that fateful day in 1981, I came home from a long day at uni and caught the late news, furry, and that was the headline story. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My great hero Dennis Lillee feably kicking Javed in the leg then standing behind umpire Tony Crafter and screaming obscenities at Javed as the combative Pakster threatened to crown DKL with his bat. It was the most piss weak thing I'd ever seen from an Aussie cricketer on the field, and yes, it forever coloured my view on the original TGM.

Until Punter was made captain.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 19 May 2011, 00:42

Even Drunky's pathetic exhibition towards Feltch after being run out by Pratt wasn't as embarrassing as DKL's effort.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 19 May 2011, 01:22

Just rewatched it to refresh my memory

I think you're wrong , S

Should FOT have stood there and let Javed hit him with the bat (even though Lillee had acted stupidly to that point)?

...and I reckon an incident involving two Chappells may be a bit worse in the piss weak stakes even including it's JAMODI Snoozy factor
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 19 May 2011, 01:29

Well, he shouldn't have kicked him like a tart in the first place, And no, he shouldn't have stood there and let Javed hit him with the bat, but the way he stood behind Crafter and screamed abuse at Javed was a tad pathetic, IMHO. As I alluded, it was the old school bully "hold me back" routine, when clearly DKL was using Crafter as a shield.

In terms of sportsmanship, no argument on the underarm incident, but I was more referring to the p!ssweak, girly behaviour.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Thu 19 May 2011, 01:38

Surely Murray Bennett being on a field in a test match was the most piss weak moment in Australian cricket history?
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradman Thu 19 May 2011, 01:39

Hmmmnnn! Difficult to decide this. One part of me says he was smart not to take on an obviously temporarily deranged javed.

The other part of me says wimp if only for not kicking the crap out of the little qunt (a kicking long overdue). Don't think there'd be a jury that would convict him. Not in this country anyway.
Bradman
Bradman

Number of posts : 17402
Registration date : 2008-08-13
Flag/Background : war

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 19 May 2011, 03:27

JKLever wrote:Surely Murray Bennett being on a field in a test match was the most piss weak moment in Australian cricket history?

Not even close ..

.the Ashes in 78/79 where we batted Trevor Laughlin at 6 in Brisbane would be a low point in playing personnel ...a decision even poorer than S Smith at 6 in the 10/11 Ashes

Bennett at least played a part in securing a draw and a win vs the Windies in his brief career ...and Gilbert and Wellham were pissweaker moments than Bennett who played in the same sides as him

embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 19 May 2011, 04:13

Aye, I still PMSL at the mental image of Murray Bennett haring off deliriously to cover and hugging someone I can't remember and someone he hardly knew after he bowled Viv with an arm ball in the WI 2nd innings at Sydney in 84-85. Dutchy was causing havoc at the other end, but Bennett's 5 wickets in the match was also pivotal.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Thu 19 May 2011, 04:31

Just watched the highlights

It was either Lawson or McDermott ...probbaly

A fairly decent ball
embee
embee

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 19 May 2011, 05:05

Dross and drosser - hard to tell them apart. Actually, that's possibly being a bit harsh on Henry, but he deserves it just for his personality. Cool
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Thu 19 May 2011, 07:15

TBF on Tawny, Skully's comments here are far more sensationalist.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 19 May 2011, 08:22

embee wrote:Just watched the highlights

It was either Lawson or McDermott ...probbaly

A fairly decent ball

I agree ... not many can claim to have clean bowled Viv Richards with a great ball; Murray Bennett can.

Bruce Francis is IMO the worst cricketer EVER to have played for Australia. There was no justification for his selection when he was chosen, he did nothing, yet he continued to be chosen (for an Ashes tour, FFS). He was a failure for years before his representative and Test career, he was a failure during his test career, and he was a failure after his test career. He rose without trace*, and disappeared up his own arse within a year o r less of his last Test. He wasn't half as good as his NSW opening partner, Alan Turner, and that wasn't very good.

At least Ogilvie, Carlson, Dyson, Hibbert, Mann, Wayne Clark, Serjeant, Cosier, Callen, Laughlin, Jeff Moss et al could all point to decent performances at Shield level at some stage of their career, even if we laugh at their selections now. Francis did nothing. He was less deserving of a Test cap than Usman Afzaal minus Paul Curtis ... that's how sh!thouse he was.

(* apart from being from NSW)

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38123

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Thu 19 May 2011, 08:31

At least Francis got a small handful of runs and had one goodish stand with Stacky (opening stand of 68 in his debut innings) which the likes of Hibbert, Ogilvy and Eastwood cannot say.

Lordy lardy, did Francis goose your missus, or sumpent??? Shocked

I think I listened on ABC radio to the innings that probably got Francis on that Ashes trip. He and Dougie put on a stack in a Shield match and I think Francis made 150. Will check.

Last edited by skully on Thu 19 May 2011, 08:37; edited 1 time in total
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 19 May 2011, 08:36

Rubbish. He did nothing in any stand with Stacky, either v the ROW or England.

22 out of 77 was his best, from memory.

He got more chances than any of the others.

Eastwood failed at Test level (just the one chance) but he'd scored an absolute mountain of runs that year, including two double tons, and it's no disgrace to have been dismissed by Snow.

Likewise Ogilvie ... failed at Test level, but he'd just broken the Shield runs record. He at least deserved his go.

Hibbert made runs for years and years ... never prolific, always slow, but a hell of a lot better than Frances ever was. He could also catch a ball, or pick it up off the ground without spiking himself. He even bowled later in his career. Francis was an oxygen thief.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Thu 19 May 2011, 08:38

Francis made 132 v ROW and Dougie made 100 as well. It was the only decent innings Francis ever played in Australia.

lardbucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next