Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators

+15
beamer
Batman
Gary 111
LeFromage
Basil
JKLever
The One
Red
spangler
Brass Monkey
horace
skully
JGK
Zat
Henry
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators Empty The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators

Post by Henry Mon 11 Jul 2011, 01:21

Well, the administrators aren't helping, but the captains these days really are gutless and in general too scared of losing in order to go for a win. It's turning people off, and it's making test cricket dull and predictable.

Not enough is being done to encourage teams to try and win test matches. Risks aren't being taken anymore, and the draw is played for, whilst a win is seen as a bonus.

And let's be honest- If you didn't know better, you'd think the players and umpires would rather do anything in the world other than have to play a game of test cricket. It always seems like they're so keen to get off the field at the first opportunity. A few drops of rain? Right, let's get off quickly, and wait around for an hour of inspections and concerns about a little puddle of water before play is resumed. Oh what? It's sunny? I don't care, I want to have tea. How many people in the ground? 25,000? And how much did they pay? $100 each? Haha, what a bunch of suckers!

Bad light? Get them off. The batsman can't pick up the ball well enough in order to smash it to the boundary, and the floodlights are creating shadows, heaven forbid! Let's get out of here now......

Test not necessarily heading for a result? Right, that's it...quick, let's give up on this ordeal, shake hands, and go and film some TV commercials. Phew! Glad we got out of that one!

And yet on the surface, they're all saying, "Test cricket is the ultimate form of the game rah rah rah...."

Well, show it, quick.
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators Empty Re: The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators

Post by Zat Mon 11 Jul 2011, 04:24

The end to the just completed Test in the WIndies verges on the unbelievable. 86 runs needed off 90 balls, with 7 wickets in hand, and India gives up on the chase? If I was the West Indies skipper, I'd be delighted to have escaped the loss.

If I was an Indian cricket fan, I'd be lining up the effigies to burn around the clock for a week. What a pissweak performance.

Last edited by Zat on Mon 11 Jul 2011, 04:28; edited 1 time in total

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators Empty Re: The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators

Post by JGK Mon 11 Jul 2011, 04:27

Aye. A sad day for Test cricket when the No 1 side in the world whimps out on a run chase.

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 11 Jul 2011, 04:29

There are run chases and run chases. I mean, if it was 200 needed in the last session, that's a bit different from needing 86, off 15 overs, WITH 7 WICKETS IN HAND. FFS...

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Jul 2011, 04:31

Zat wrote:The end to the just completed Test in the WIndies verges on the unbelievable. 86 runs needed off 90 balls, with 7 wickets in hand, and India gives up on the chase? If I was the West Indies skipper, I'd be delighted to have escaped the loss.

If I was an Indian cricket fan, I'd be lining up the effigies to burn around the clock for a week. What a pissweak performance.
Wow, I had no idea it was that p!ss weak. I assumed rain had intervened or summat. Shocked
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105947
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 11 Jul 2011, 04:34

our game has reached a truly dismal state
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 11 Jul 2011, 04:58

Probably only an hour until TO turns up to explain how such an outcome is great for the game.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Jul 2011, 05:02

Clearly it was a moral victory for the Bannies.
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Mon 11 Jul 2011, 05:40

it is always a moral victory for banindi
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:34

Yeah, I said on the thread that it was a damned attrocity. Happy to get away with a 1-niller. Woeful. If I was Murali Vijay or Suresh Raina, I'd be asking myself what I gave my wicket away for. He could've sent Bhajji in, himself. F*ck me, the more I think about it, I don't even think Cap'n Negs would've shook hands at that point. Pathhheticccccc.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Mon 11 Jul 2011, 10:36

The Bannies must have a T20 series coming up. Emma was saving his strength for that, surely?
skully
skully

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:07

I heard that the 1st Test v England starts 'Thursday week'. Was shocked. May as well have not attempted to chase down those runs, in that case shrug Wink
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by spangler Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:41

No defense for it and it's something that the India team has really lacked - that bit of ruthlessness, plenty of times there could have been big series wins if they had a bit of balls to pull the trigger in the last test of a series.
spangler
spangler

The players are ruining test cricket, not the administrators 7EoDRAk

Number of posts : 2554
Flag/Background : ind

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Mon 11 Jul 2011, 11:49

If you look at Dravid's SR you know just how defensive the mindset was but I for one am glad that the Windies have held out.

There have been other occasions though when teams have wimped out of the chase. Even in 1974/5 under Chappelli who was meant to have been an attacking captain, Lillian Marsh blocked out for a draw in a game that was winnable.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:13

i think the game was pretty much 'lost' as soon as mukund was out first ball and dravid walked in. with just 47 overs to get the runs in india showed their intent was to first make sure a loss is not possible for them. a change-up in the batting order with the strikers first up and then dravid and laxman at 6 or lower to save the match would have been a strategy a more positive mindset would have taken. they just seemed too scared to lose the test

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 11 Jul 2011, 12:32

Meh, Dravid to sure up the possible loss, Vijay and Raina to do what they did, then Toni and Bhajji to have a tonk. VVS if the sh!t hit the fan. Plain and simple.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by JKLever Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:08

India have history for this kind of thing though, pretty much played for the draw at the Oval in their last series here despite being well on top in the match...
JKLever
JKLever

Number of posts : 27236
Registration date : 2007-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:15

Yeah, true, although it wasn't as clear cut as this one. You could aruge that playing like this had made them number one, because they're scraping series without too much need to risk anything.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:22

Zat wrote:Probably only an hour until TO turns up to explain how such an outcome is great for the game.

The One wrote:i think the game was pretty much 'lost' as soon as mukund was out first ball and dravid walked in. with just 47 overs to get the runs in india showed their intent was to first make sure a loss is not possible for them. a change-up in the batting order with the strikers first up and then dravid and laxman at 6 or lower to save the match would have been a strategy a more positive mindset would have taken. they just seemed too scared to lose the test
7 hours 15 minutes.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 13:22

When was the last 5 test series that India played (or won) out of interest? Did they have one against Aus in the last few years?

Back to top Go down

Post by The One Mon 11 Jul 2011, 14:15

played - 2002 vs windies (lost 2-1)

won - 1981 vs england (won 1-0 in a 6 test series)

our series vs the aussies nowadays are 4 test series. we won 2-0 in 2008

The One

Number of posts : 9035

Back to top Go down

Post by Basil Mon 11 Jul 2011, 17:48

The One wrote:i think the game was pretty much 'lost' as soon as mukund was out first ball and dravid walked in. with just 47 overs to get the runs in india showed their intent was to first make sure a loss is not possible for them. a change-up in the batting order with the strikers first up and then dravid and laxman at 6 or lower to save the match would have been a strategy a more positive mindset would have taken. they just seemed too scared to lose the test

I sincerely hope that India play the forthcoming series against England with the same mindset.
Basil
Basil

Number of posts : 15936
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Mon 11 Jul 2011, 17:57

I forgot that they're coached by Duncan Fletcher now.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/west-indies-v-india-2011/content/current/story/522606.html

He has history for negativity. I remember England's awful tours of India (Giles bowling a foot outside leg stump, the seamers bowling a foot wide of off stump) and SL where they only played for draws - and lost both series 1-0. Awful, it was.
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Mon 11 Jul 2011, 18:04

Depends if you call our at-the-time limited bowlers the equivalent of India's batsmen, for an hour or two's play. As I've mentioned earlier, there were a couple of tonk players left in the hutch and a couple of limpets there if the sh!t hit the fan. IMO, it was the height of weirdness that they shut up shop. The chance of them getting gunned if it went a bit wrong was pretty low. One wonders how much input Felcher would've had in the decision, as others have alluded to Toni's not the most attacking of captains...
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Jul 2011, 18:09

The One wrote:played - 2002 vs windies (lost 2-1)

won - 1981 vs england (won 1-0 in a 6 test series)

our series vs the aussies nowadays are 4 test series. we won 2-0 in 2008
Cheers TO.

Feel sorry for test cricket fans from India in that case, 5 matches are the shiznit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next