Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year

+8
Gary 111
LeFromage
skully
taipan
Henry
Nath
Leo
Zat
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year Empty And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year

Post by Zat Sat 27 Aug 2011, 04:00

Officially announced on the ICC website...

Alastair Cook (Eng)
Hashim Amla (SA)
Jonathan Trott (Eng)
Sachin Tendulkar (Ind)
Kumar Sangakkara (SL - wicketkeeper/captain)
AB de Villiers (SA)
Jacques Kallis (SA)
Stuart Broad (Eng)
Graeme Swann (Eng)
Dale Steyn (SA)
James Anderson (Eng)
Zaheer Khan (Ind) (12th man)

Ian Bell, who scored four Test tons in the period, and averaged 89.5 misses out. Yet a batsman who scored 3 tons, and averaged 64.86 is in, and another bloke in the middle order scored just 2 tons and averaged 72 (despite 2 of his five Tests being against Pakistan) is also in. What the...? Sorry, but in the past year Bell has been a better bet with the bat than SRT, and I'd rate him above ABdV as well.

And that's BEFORE Bell's double century to finish the India series, which fell outside the qualifying period.

Zat

Number of posts : 28872
Registration date : 2007-09-04
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year Empty Re: And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year

Post by Leo Sat 27 Aug 2011, 04:06

I think Tendulkar had been pretty much unstoppable in the last 18 months, up until the England tour, so hard to leave him out.

But I agree Bell should be there - over both Trott and de Villiers.
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year Empty Re: And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year

Post by Zat Sat 27 Aug 2011, 04:13

It's not about the 18 months, it's about the period 11 Aug 2010 to 3 Aug 2011. During which time IRB >>> SRT.

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by Nath Sat 27 Aug 2011, 04:18

WGAF about these awards?
Nath
Nath

Number of posts : 11982
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Leo Sat 27 Aug 2011, 04:29

Not sure how the ratings work, but Tendulkar's big hundred in RSA last summer probably counts as a better individual innings (given bowling quality and match situation) than any of Bell's efforts over the period.

But you're probably right. And while I grant Trott is a remorselessly effective bastard, I would worry about any selector who actually put him in a team over Bell, Jayawardene or Pietersen.
Leo
Leo

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 27 Aug 2011, 04:51

Poor old Belly. Even the ICC selectors can't accept that of late he's made quality runs under pressure. I would have had Prior for Sanga as well, even though I think Sanga is pretty awesome. And Broad? A month ago people wanted him dropped. One good series and he's in the World XI. Hmm. Not to say that Broad didn't look World class in the recent series, it's just that a guy like Morne Morkel has being doing the business for a bit longer than him. My team would have been-

Cook
Dilshan
Amla
Tendulkar
Kallis
Bell
Prior+
Swann
Steyn
M.Morkel
Anderson

Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 27 Aug 2011, 05:35

I think the guy who should be aggrieved is Prior. Has anyone told the ICC that Sanga hasn't kept in tests for a few years.
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Sat 27 Aug 2011, 07:14

Wow, amazing that Belfohl™️ missed out. Shocked
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105986

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 27 Aug 2011, 07:37

And Zaheer is a good choice as 12th man......just as long as he doesn't have to field.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Zat Sat 27 Aug 2011, 07:45

Maybe someone should line up the people who chose the team and give them a size 12 in the ICCohl™

Zat

Back to top Go down

Post by LeFromage Sat 27 Aug 2011, 08:12

Zat wrote:It's not about the 18 months, it's about the period 11 Aug 2010 to 3 Aug 2011. During which time IRB >>> SRT.

Which makes Broad an odd pick. I mean, I know bowling stocks around the world are the shittest they've ever been, but in the "qualifying" time period, Broad has had series against Australia (2 wickets @ 80) and Sri Lanka (8 wickets @ 49).

It seems he's gotten in off the back of just four Tests that have barely been snared at the very beginning and end of the period - the final two of the home Pakistan series in the bowler friendliest conditions you've ever seen against a side pre-selling their performances to bookies (5 wickets @ 28), and the first two games of this recent Indian smashing (15 wickets @ 11).

30 wickets @ 29, all told. One five-for.

Not that it matters, really...
LeFromage
LeFromage

Number of posts : 26195
Registration date : 2007-08-03
Flag/Background : fra

http://www.flamingbails.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 27 Aug 2011, 08:22

Isn't Broad's old man a selector?
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:09

taipan wrote:I think the guy who should be aggrieved is Prior. Has anyone told the ICC that Sanga hasn't kept in tests for a few years.

Sanga has not kept since the 2007/8 season. He also averages 32 runs less with the bat whan he is keeping.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:30

The Team should have been:

Alistair Cook (top run scorer)
Rahul Dravid (5 tons in the year, solo efforts in Windies & England)
Jon Trott (1000+ runs)
Jacques Kallis (5 tons in 9 innings)
Ian Bell (averaging close to 90)
Misbah-ul-Haq (averaging over 90, 11 innings, 1x100, 7x50)
Matt Prior (2nd highest catches & batting average of 57)
Graeme Swann (4th highest wicket taker)
Dale Steyn (bowling average below 24)
James Anderson (most wickets)
Ishant Sharma (3rd most wickets, series winning effort in Windies plus match winning innings with bat at Mohali)
12th Man: ABC de Villiers

I was reluctant to put Swann in as he struggled for most of those matches and its basically cheap wickets vs Pakistan keeping his average below 35. But he won a match at the Rose Bowl, caught well and biffed a few runs. His main opposition would be Rehman or Harbhajan, who actually took most wickets for a spinner (but at an average close to 37). Harbhajan actually also hit most sixes last year (19) miles ahead of de Villiers and Kallis(!) both in second place on 12.

How Sangakkara managed to get in the ICC team as keeper despite not keeping and averaging ten runs below his career average (and Prior for the year) beggars belief.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Number of posts : 5717
Registration date : 2007-09-02

http://www.flamingbails.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:42

Aye, it seems they've gone for 'convenience' rather than the roles that the players played in. It's a bit of silly team. WGAF though? I mean, it just confirms what we already knew doesn't it? That the ICC knows f*ck all about cricket?
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:48

It's the same ICC that had Shane Bond in the top 10 of the bowling rankings for two months after he announced his retirement.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Sat 27 Aug 2011, 11:26

I cannot recall Amla opening in tests that often, if at all.
Red
Red

Number of posts : 17071
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:04

Red wrote:I cannot recall Amla opening in tests that often, if at all.

has opened in 2 matches.
taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:08

I thought about posting that but I didn't want to risk being expelled to pendant's corner.
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:11

I can't recall Kallis batting at seven as a bowling all rounder either, but there you go.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:19

Henry wrote:I can't recall Kallis batting at seven as a bowling all rounder either, but there you go.

Oh ho ho - link

And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year Star-Gazer-Torus-Pendant-3
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:25

Boo! He must have been injured or something- That doesn't count.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary 111 Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:29

Henry wrote:Boo! He must have been injured or something- That doesn't count.

Fit enough to bowl 25 overs.

Bowling all-rounder.

And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year 9k=
Gary 111
Gary 111

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:54

Gary 111 wrote:
Henry wrote:Boo! He must have been injured or something- That doesn't count.

Fit enough to bowl 25 overs.

Bowling all-rounder.

And the ICC Bollocks XI, sorry Test team of the year 9k=

Yep. I always thought we missed a trick batting him so high in the order.

taipan
taipan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Sat 27 Aug 2011, 13:26

What does he average at number 4? About 62?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next