Flaming Bails
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School mates who played sport for their Country

+19
Yorkie Jill
Allan D
bodyline
Big Dog
WideWally
Fred Nerk
Brass Monkey
skully
lardbucket
Blackadder
embee
horace
Mick Sawyer
MrPrez
PlanetPakistan
taipan
Clutch
JGK
Henry
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

School mates who played sport for their Country Empty School mates who played sport for their Country

Post by Henry Wed 21 Dec 2011, 15:31

Well?

Ed Cowan will become the second person I went to school with to represent Australia at sport, following Al Kanaar, who played one Bledisloe test in 2005 before a chronic knee injury forced him to pull the plug on his career.

How about other forummers? Did anyone go to school with a now famous sportsman?
Henry
Henry

Number of posts : 32891
Registration date : 2007-08-31
Flag/Background : eng

Back to top Go down

School mates who played sport for their Country Empty Re: School mates who played sport for their Country

Post by JGK Wed 21 Dec 2011, 15:33

ARe you a Cranbrook boy? Were you in Cowan's year?

JGK

Number of posts : 41790
Flag/Background : jnt

Back to top Go down

School mates who played sport for their Country Empty Re: School mates who played sport for their Country

Post by Henry Wed 21 Dec 2011, 15:40

My parents thought about Cranbrook but ended up sending me to Kings. I Went to school with him at Tudor House, which is a prep school for boys in the Southern Highlands, owned by Kings. We actually played in the first XI together, and he was a much more elegant batsman back then than the ungainly grafter he has now become! I remember him calling me a pie chucker during one net session, before I bowled him the next ball. He was a year above me.
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Clutch Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:18

I went to school with Nathan Blacklock who played two rugby league tests with the Kangaroos.
Clutch
Clutch

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2007-09-18
Flag/Background : baggy

Back to top Go down

Post by taipan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:31

Only this guy. Same matric year as me.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Other/Former-SA-tennis-star-dies-20080905
taipan
taipan

Number of posts : 48416
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:32

Salman Butt...i never saw him bat

Last edited by PlanetPakistan on Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:41; edited 1 time in total
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by MrPrez Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:39

I went to school with a guy who supposedly got an offer to play for West Ham Youth Academy and turned it down because they were in the Championship! When they promoted that season, he must have felt very stupid...

I'm too young to have gone to school with many pro sportsmen.
MrPrez
MrPrez

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2011-09-29
Flag/Background : saf

Back to top Go down

Post by PlanetPakistan Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:42

PlanetPakistan wrote:Salman Butt...i never saw him bat
or bet
PlanetPakistan
PlanetPakistan

Number of posts : 10285
Registration date : 2008-02-06
Flag/Background : pak

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 21 Dec 2011, 16:47

PlanetPakistan wrote:Salman Butt...i never saw him bat

No surprise - it's written in his name - a tunnel not a train.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Number of posts : 7267
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 21 Dec 2011, 17:15

Caesar
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by embee Wed 21 Dec 2011, 17:23

Hoggggggggyyyyyy!!!!!! was in year 8 when I was in Year 12

I played cricket at school with Ben Allan who was twice All Australian in AFL
embee
embee

Number of posts : 26187
Registration date : 2007-09-03
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by horace Wed 21 Dec 2011, 17:52

....hmmnn....through mists of time I seem to recollect the apparently legendary J Wiener
horace
horace

Number of posts : 42573
Registration date : 2007-09-06
Flag/Background : ire

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackadder Wed 21 Dec 2011, 18:02

Not a national team but played against Mark McVeigh in High School AFL (and held him to 0 posessions)

Blackadder

School mates who played sport for their Country ZY4L4DZ

Number of posts : 3959
Registration date : 2008-12-27
Flag/Background : nsw

Back to top Go down

Post by lardbucket Wed 21 Dec 2011, 19:19

A couple of Tassie State cricketers and AFL players (Melbourne). An Olympic runner. Way back. No other internationals AFAIK.

lardbucket

Number of posts : 38071
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by skully Wed 21 Dec 2011, 19:34

Playing against Peter Clifford (who won the Spivs a Shield Final one year) is my only lame claim to rub shoulders with a rep sportsman. He got me out lbw off the middle of my bat in a Davidson Shield game. A Doctrove-like decision, it were.
skully
skully

Number of posts : 105888

Back to top Go down

Post by Brass Monkey Wed 21 Dec 2011, 20:00

Ben Cohen. Kingsthorpe Upper.

The funny thing is they promoted him up a year, just to get him out of there quicker for the Saints. Was dim as though, apparently.

We all thought Ian Vass (from my year) was going to make it big, but no.
Brass Monkey
Brass Monkey

Number of posts : 44858
Registration date : 2007-09-02
Flag/Background : afg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjWhbVWj9wQ

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Wed 21 Dec 2011, 20:03

Dave O'Halloran (Hawthorn AFL) was in the year before mine. Hell of a good bloke, also played cricket. For years he had a real estate agency just round the corner from me.

I never played at any level for the school, but I did get roped into scoring most of a 130-odd not out scored against us by one Neil Daniher. (Unfortunately, as my handwriting deteriorated, even that marginal cricket 'talent' left me.... )

A couple of years after I left, Frank Tyson joined the staff. The late Colin Costorphjn who was an opening bowler for Victoria (and did OK) during WSC was also a student there, and his younger brother, who was a good mate, was one of the poor sod bowlers who had to bowl to Daniher.

(Sound tip for young players on this thread: Avoid naming schools...)

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8807
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Wed 21 Dec 2011, 20:35

Na, no-one from my school mob.

One or two young ladies who could have been on the Australian shagging team & there were a couple of dope growers of international class.

Sports with numbers of your back, we were shyte.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by WideWally Wed 21 Dec 2011, 22:29

I played alongside Chris Close for my high school Rugby League team. He became a State Of Origin legend & played three tests for Australia.

Also, I was in the same grade as Gerard Barrett who was a 1980 Olympian & a national athletics champion in the 5,000m, 10,000m & marathon.
WideWally
WideWally

Number of posts : 9698
Flag/Background : aus

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Dog Thu 22 Dec 2011, 07:31

No one of note that i recall apart from a state cricketer & a couple of VFL/AFL players although i used to work with David Boon, Jamie Cox, Dene Hills & Rod Tucker.
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 16498
Registration date : 2007-09-05
Flag/Background : tig

http://bigdog.bigblog.com.au/index.do

Back to top Go down

Post by bodyline Thu 22 Dec 2011, 09:38

Mick Sawyer wrote:Na, no-one from my school mob.

One or two young ladies who could have been on the Australian shagging team & there were a couple of dope growers of international class.

Inala High?????

bodyline

School mates who played sport for their Country MPDozzd

Number of posts : 2335
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Henry Thu 22 Dec 2011, 09:44

Big Dog wrote:No one of note that i recall apart from a state cricketer & a couple of VFL/AFL players although i used to work with David Boon, Jamie Cox, Dene Hills & Rod Tucker.

Let me guess.....you worked for the TCA?
Henry
Henry

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Nerk Thu 22 Dec 2011, 09:53

I did about half a year primary school in Qld (I somehow learned to spell and add up anyway) and I later heard Greg Ritchie, Robert Watson (Shane's old man), the dreadful Hanson woman and local ALP luminary David Hamill were all there around the same time. I knew Watto Snr slightly, and DH's sister (or maybe cousin) was in my class.

Fred Nerk

Number of posts : 8807
Registration date : 2007-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 22 Dec 2011, 10:39

bodyline wrote:
Mick Sawyer wrote:Na, no-one from my school mob.

Inala High?????

**chuckle**

A lot of similarities although our average IQ would not have been that lofty.
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick Sawyer Thu 22 Dec 2011, 10:46

Fred Nerk wrote:I did about half a year primary school in Qld (I somehow learned to spell and add up anyway) and I later heard Greg Ritchie, Robert Watson (Shane's old man), the dreadful Hanson woman and local ALP luminary David Hamill were all there around the same time. I knew Watto Snr slightly, and DH's sister (or maybe cousin) was in my class.

Silkstone, sounds kinda toffy ....... doesn't quite fit with the general Ippy rep eh Fred?
Mick Sawyer
Mick Sawyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next